Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Multiplayer?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Coming Soon] >> Distant Worlds 2 >> Multiplayer? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Multiplayer? - 5/6/2021 5:58:09 AM   
elxaime

How many people can play MP at a time? And is it PBEM, with a server like Field of Glory: Empires? Or just pauseable real-time where everyone would have to be online at once? Thx
Post #: 1
RE: Multiplayer? - 5/7/2021 10:49:34 PM   
Galaxy227

no mp

(in reply to elxaime)
Post #: 2
RE: Multiplayer? - 5/7/2021 11:20:17 PM   
SirHoraceHarkness

Afaik the game is being built with mp in mind at some time in the future so if sales are good then the cash will be available for new content. Seems a rather daunting task on keeping the map synced up with the literally tens of thousands of ships always in transit once you get a few empires past their starting points but if they feel it can be done then they would know best.

(in reply to Galaxy227)
Post #: 3
RE: Multiplayer? - 5/8/2021 11:49:12 PM   
elxaime

Thanks. I am enjoying PBEM in Field of Glory Empires, and I am thinking there are so many games out there that would be a blast if they used the Slitherine server system. You could play Distant Worlds against a bunch of opponents. As good as AI can be, nothing replaces a human opponent.

(in reply to SirHoraceHarkness)
Post #: 4
RE: Multiplayer? - 5/10/2021 9:58:12 AM   
StormingKiwi

Distant Worlds is real-time, so PBEM surely would not work at all?

(in reply to elxaime)
Post #: 5
RE: Multiplayer? - 5/10/2021 3:42:48 PM   
Erik Rutins

PBEM would not be possible. If in the future we complete the work for multi-player, it would be real-time pausable network multi-player, it would not change DW2 into a turn-based game.

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to StormingKiwi)
Post #: 6
RE: Multiplayer? - 5/11/2021 2:38:59 PM   
Canute0

Pausable is good at singleplayer. Since a player can't check any location like the AI could do.
But on multiplayer i would suggest that you just could made a slowmotion.
With just 2 player pause is still doable, but can you imagine it with 6-8 player when anyone use plause ?

(in reply to Erik Rutins)
Post #: 7
RE: Multiplayer? - 5/11/2021 7:30:59 PM   
R_TEAM

Alwyas prefer the perfect MP RTS game style from Supreme Commander:Forged Alliance
Fine adjustable game speed - even in network multiplayer ...
Have not the problems TurnBased games have, (i like TurnBased games)that somtimes things happen that fit bad in the turn based machanic ... as every time it is realtime (slower or faster)
And can be adjusted to the speed the (most) players are happy with ... (only one drawback was in SC:FA -but an big- .. no Multiplayer save...)
But this make the networkcode much more complicated at the end ....

(in reply to Canute0)
Post #: 8
RE: Multiplayer? - 5/12/2021 6:51:48 AM   
OnePercent

Stellaris has it that only the "Host" can pause, so the host can act as the moderator in a game or the 'dealer'

Many times I played multiplayer we all agreed to pause once every hour for 15 minutes to give everyone time to break.

(in reply to Canute0)
Post #: 9
RE: Multiplayer? - 5/12/2021 1:23:20 PM   
Canute0

But that is a cigaret/toilet break.
If you don't have a pause/slowmotion the game switch from a strategy to an action game, and the one which can faster click and scroll win.

(in reply to OnePercent)
Post #: 10
RE: Multiplayer? - 6/8/2021 7:10:00 AM   
FlashXAron_slith

quote:

ORIGINAL: Canute0

But that is a cigaret/toilet break.
If you don't have a pause/slowmotion the game switch from a strategy to an action game, and the one which can faster click and scroll win.

also that worse companies , which have terrible stupid AI code, try to hide that fact with too fast NONE adjustable speed , that their AI code is worse, because the faster the game runs the more action game it is for the human player ...

so really hope DW2 will not do that and offer us "adjustable" game speed

(in reply to Canute0)
Post #: 11
RE: Multiplayer? - 6/8/2021 8:28:57 PM   
Jorgen_CAB

The game already come with adjustable time functionality, I don't see why this would somehow be ripped out of the game?!?

If you play multi-player you can just agree that you only pause when really necessary and use slow game play when allot is happening, like important battles and the like.

I think it would be really important to understand that if they add multi-player to this game it is still a single player game and so will not be that adaptable to multi-player like a game that is streamlined for it. Stellaris for example is probably way more multi-player friendly than this game could ever be. So multi-play will be something you could enjoy as it is and you probably will have to agree on how to handle speed and pausing the game.

I would really like to play this game with a few friends for the unique experience... but I would never want to play any sort of competitive MP in a game that is generally single player oriented as they usually have too much unbalance built into them which is more interesting for single player but bad for any sort of competitive multi-player.

< Message edited by Jorgen_CAB -- 6/8/2021 11:38:36 PM >

(in reply to FlashXAron_slith)
Post #: 12
RE: Multiplayer? - 6/10/2021 11:23:12 AM   
R_TEAM

@Jorgen_CAB

Its a couple of strategy games out where have adjustable Time in singleplayer - but NOT in multiplayer (or even MP save option ...)
Code an network engine with variable Game speed is much more work .....
> and i dont see an logical point why DW2 would less MP nice as stellaris .....

(in reply to Jorgen_CAB)
Post #: 13
RE: Multiplayer? - 6/12/2021 12:06:17 AM   
Jorgen_CAB

quote:

ORIGINAL: R_TEAM

@Jorgen_CAB

Its a couple of strategy games out where have adjustable Time in singleplayer - but NOT in multiplayer (or even MP save option ...)
Code an network engine with variable Game speed is much more work .....
> and i dont see an logical point why DW2 would less MP nice as stellaris .....

This game would probably be unplayable with no adjustable time in MP and they already admitted to pausing would be possible.

Stellaris offer a way more streamlined game play which are directly tied to being MP friendly. DW2 seem to be at least as complex as DW1 if not even more complex, just a better GUI. This means it is single player focused first and MP as an optional play experience where you have to deal with how to handle slow game play and pausing for MP.

< Message edited by Jorgen_CAB -- 6/12/2021 12:07:15 AM >

(in reply to R_TEAM)
Post #: 14
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Coming Soon] >> Distant Worlds 2 >> Multiplayer? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll