Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Could DW1 be a "Demo" for DW2 ideas, via modding?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Coming Soon] >> Distant Worlds 2 >> Could DW1 be a "Demo" for DW2 ideas, via modding? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Could DW1 be a "Demo" for DW2 ideas, via modd... - 11/26/2021 10:50:23 AM   
zgrssd

When going from DW1 to DW2, most of the core mechanics stay the same. So ever since the changes to Hyperdrive were announced I wondered - could DW1 be modded so people can see some of the DW2 ideas in action?

Say someone takes DW1 and modify it like this:
- Adds the new super-early hyperdrive, that does not make you a true interstellar civilisation but helps defense against pirates
- reduced sensor range
- trying to immitate the new research system
- Buffed independant colonies and worse early colonies

It would not be a perfect match, as there are some non-imitateable changes.
And I would definitely not be the one to make it

But would it be similar? A way for people to test if the new changes work somewhat in the old engine?
Post #: 1
RE: Could DW1 be a "Demo" for DW2 ideas, via ... - 11/26/2021 11:02:15 AM   
Jorgen_CAB

quote:

ORIGINAL: zgrssd

When going from DW1 to DW2, most of the core mechanics stay the same. So ever since the changes to Hyperdrive were announced I wondered - could DW1 be modded so people can see some of the DW2 ideas in action?

Say someone takes DW1 and modify it like this:
- Adds the new super-early hyperdrive, that does not make you a true interstellar civilisation but helps defense against pirates
- reduced sensor range
- trying to immitate the new research system
- Buffed independant colonies and worse early colonies

It would not be a perfect match, as there are some non-imitateable changes.
And I would definitely not be the one to make it

But would it be similar? A way for people to test if the new changes work somewhat in the old engine?

To be frank... by the time anyone did that and released it then DW2 would probably already be out so I don't think any if it is very realistic at this time.

There are already mods that do slow down hyperdrive speed by allot, especially in the early days... you should look at the DWU forums and see if you can find any of those mods.

(in reply to zgrssd)
Post #: 2
RE: Could DW1 be a "Demo" for DW2 ideas, via ... - 11/26/2021 2:43:48 PM   
Retreat1970

1. You can easily modify hyper speeds.
2. Same with sensor ranges.
3. Changing research is time consuming, but possible (within limits).
4. Bacon mod modifiers can buff independents now.

(in reply to Jorgen_CAB)
Post #: 3
RE: Could DW1 be a "Demo" for DW2 ideas, via ... - 11/26/2021 4:49:10 PM   
zgrssd

quote:

There are already mods that do slow down hyperdrive speed by allot, especially in the early days... you should look at the DWU forums and see if you can find any of those mods.

Except the early hyperdrive is not a slowdown.

Granting you a early Hyperdrive with like 0.1 LY Range is a massive step up from "Newtowian Physics" even just in your home system.

(in reply to Jorgen_CAB)
Post #: 4
RE: Could DW1 be a "Demo" for DW2 ideas, via ... - 11/26/2021 7:51:11 PM   
Jorgen_CAB

quote:

quote:

Granting you a early Hyperdrive with like 0.1 LY Range is a massive step up from "Newtowian Physics" even just in your home system.

quote:

Not sure what you are after, but there are mods that make the vanilla hyperdrives allot slower, including the initial ones. you also can modify range to simulate engines like in DW2.

But all in all I don't think anyone are going to put the time and effort into doing that at the moment. As I said, there are mods that to some degree does part of what you want.

You can also just mod it yourself, it is mainly just simple text files. I would take the bacon mod and do some modification to engines. Bacon mod also already buff independent worlds as well and you can buff them further if you like.

< Message edited by Jorgen_CAB -- 11/26/2021 7:56:49 PM >

(in reply to zgrssd)
Post #: 5
RE: Could DW1 be a "Demo" for DW2 ideas, via ... - 11/26/2021 9:31:45 PM   
zgrssd

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jorgen_CAB

quote:

quote:

quote:

Not sure what you are after, but there are mods that make the vanilla hyperdrives allot slower, including the initial ones. you also can modify range to simulate engines like in DW2.

I am not interested in slower hyperdrives.

I am interested in a earlier Hyperdrive with extremely limited range.
A in-system FTL, that is exists between "Newtonian Physics is all we got" and "I can go 20 LY".
I have no idea how much clearer I can be about this.

(in reply to Jorgen_CAB)
Post #: 6
RE: Could DW1 be a "Demo" for DW2 ideas, via ... - 11/26/2021 10:16:03 PM   
Jorgen_CAB

quote:

I am interested in a earlier Hyperdrive with extremely limited range.
A in-system FTL, that is exists between "Newtonian Physics is all we got" and "I can go 20 LY".
I have no idea how much clearer I can be about this.

If you tried you could potentially do that with DWU by limiting the range of the hyperdrive, it would be the same thing... that was what I was trying to say... ;)

(in reply to zgrssd)
Post #: 7
RE: Could DW1 be a "Demo" for DW2 ideas, via ... - 11/27/2021 12:00:57 AM   
Retreat1970

There are two ways:

Slower warp and/or small fuel cells (ok maybe three with low power reactors).

In RetreatUE the Warp Bubble Generator is 1250 speed. Just change it to 300 or so.

(in reply to Jorgen_CAB)
Post #: 8
RE: Could DW1 be a "Demo" for DW2 ideas, via ... - 11/27/2021 6:45:20 AM   
SirHoraceHarkness

A slower warp bubble generator would be about the only way to do this in DWU. As retreat1970 stated 300~500 would be more than fast enough to quickly traverse the starting system but take ages to reach anything outside it. You could also modify how much fuel it uses so that if you tried to long haul to another system you would run out of fuel long before you got there.

(in reply to Retreat1970)
Post #: 9
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Coming Soon] >> Distant Worlds 2 >> Could DW1 be a "Demo" for DW2 ideas, via modding? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI