Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Wouldn't it be nice if...

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Coming Soon] >> Distant Worlds 2 >> Wouldn't it be nice if... Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Wouldn't it be nice if... - 1/28/2021 7:02:39 AM   
Whiskiz

The world was Cadbury.

Wouldn't it also be nice if DW2 monsters are more fleshed out:

-Maybe they become a quasi faction like Pirates to deal with. You could have your Pirate threat and then your Monster threat for early/midgame with Monsters still specializing in fast, shield piercing, tanky melee death.

-Maybe they could have hives somewhere, as bases.

-Maybe they could have a queen that creates the monsters instead of a station, that needs to be killed to clear them out of that area. Maybe it attaches itself to nice planets with good resources to feed off which you get to claim as a reward for clearing it out.

-Maybe they could infect ships Zerg style to have more stuff in their arsenal. Doesn't need to be fully unique effects per ship/hull type, they all just spit Monstery stuff or attack in close range with tentacles or something, but bigger ships are of course a bigger threat. Maybe they infect any ships that have a certain amount of destroyed hull or components.

-Maybe there're unseen dangers lurking in the Nebulae....

-Maybe they have undercities and don't really exist, yes-yes.

It'd cool if they were fleshed out to more than just static things to be cleared out at the start.

Be even better if they had their own DLC/Expansion also and became a new way to play - become the monsters and try to slowly devour the entire galaxy!

Any other ideas?

< Message edited by Whiskiz -- 1/28/2021 7:07:37 AM >
Post #: 1
RE: Wouldn't it be nice if... - 1/28/2021 7:14:57 AM   
LordMM

Those are some very good ideas. Would be really cool if Nebula's and these unknown areas of space were quite dangerous. Space creatures, unknown automated ships. Probably added as a DLC or an expansion later on.

(in reply to Whiskiz)
Post #: 2
RE: Wouldn't it be nice if... - 1/28/2021 7:50:19 AM   
Sild

Would be nice if there were larger differences between species. Like the Arachnids from Starship Troopers. Not sure how that would work though, since a lot of focus is put on spaceship battles and technology. Having a species that dosen't rely on either would be hard to properly implement, i think. Though maybe not impossible.

(in reply to LordMM)
Post #: 3
RE: Wouldn't it be nice if... - 1/28/2021 11:28:09 AM   
Hyperion1

I hope it would have something like that, soon or later.

I like when races really different in their gameplay can share the same game.

(in reply to Sild)
Post #: 4
RE: Wouldn't it be nice if... - 1/28/2021 12:41:38 PM   
Webbco

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sild

Would be nice if there were larger differences between species. Like the Arachnids from Starship Troopers. Not sure how that would work though, since a lot of focus is put on spaceship battles and technology. Having a species that dosen't rely on either would be hard to properly implement, i think. Though maybe not impossible.

A race that can domesticate and breed the space creatures with the prupose to weaponise them

(in reply to Sild)
Post #: 5
RE: Wouldn't it be nice if... - 1/28/2021 12:59:06 PM   
Kingah

If silver-mists could be a galaxy ending threat again ;P

(in reply to Webbco)
Post #: 6
RE: Wouldn't it be nice if... - 1/28/2021 1:17:34 PM   
Erik Rutins

I'll be revealing the space creatures at a later date, but there are three of them in DW2. One will be familiar to DW1 players and is (relatively) peaceful but territorial. Another is an ambush predator, but typically only a threat (though a pretty big one) if you enter its habitat. The third is a more general threat and can absolutely come to you.

In addition to this, you have the pirates to deal with and some other new big threats which likely will remain unrevealed in any major way so that you can discover them yourselves after release.

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to Kingah)
Post #: 7
RE: Wouldn't it be nice if... - 1/28/2021 5:07:56 PM   
SirHoraceHarkness

Something that was fun from the gal civ series was a galactic event where a Von Nuemann machine made by an ancient alien race would come into the map and take over a system and start replicating. If you didn't take care of it quickly it would spread fast and become a major annoyance if not outright threat.

(in reply to Erik Rutins)
Post #: 8
RE: Wouldn't it be nice if... - 1/28/2021 6:52:11 PM   
Miletkir

At that point there's little difference with an actual faction, just very rudimentary.

(in reply to SirHoraceHarkness)
Post #: 9
RE: Wouldn't it be nice if... - 1/28/2021 7:30:04 PM   
SirHoraceHarkness

quote:

ORIGINAL: Miletkir

At that point there's little difference with an actual faction, just very rudimentary.

If you mean the Von Neumann machines they would be more or less like the silver mist from DWU just a bit more fleshed out. If one comes into a developed system they consume everything to produce more machines so they are a very dangerous event if it happens. Kinda like a mini shakturi invasion. Think of them as galactic locusts.

(in reply to Miletkir)
Post #: 10
RE: Wouldn't it be nice if... - 1/28/2021 8:29:14 PM   
ncc1701e

Would be cool to have a big monster capable of destroying a planet. I am thinking of the Doomsday Machine.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0FhPivoIJm4

By the way, are there powerful weapon capable of destroying planets in DW2?

Chancellor Gorkon to Captain James T. Kirk:
You don't trust me, do you? I don't blame you. If there is to be a brave new world, our generation is going to have the hardest time living in it.

Post #: 11
RE: Wouldn't it be nice if... - 1/28/2021 8:31:02 PM   
Kingah

quote:

ORIGINAL: SirHoraceHarkness
If you mean the Von Neumann machines they would be more or less like the silver mist from DWU just a bit more fleshed out. If one comes into a developed system they consume everything to produce more machines so they are a very dangerous event if it happens. Kinda like a mini shakturi invasion. Think of them as galactic locusts.

Yeah, will never forget that one game (I think it was in RoS) where the Silver Mists literally wiped out most empires in the galaxy and only reason I survived was with a Battlestar Galactica style adventure across the galaxy with a lone colony-ship, a construction ship and a few cruisers.

Post #: 12
RE: Wouldn't it be nice if... - 1/31/2021 5:50:01 AM   
Whiskiz

quote:

ORIGINAL: Erik Rutins

I'll be revealing the space creatures at a later date, but there are three of them in DW2. One will be familiar to DW1 players and is (relatively) peaceful but territorial. Another is an ambush predator, but typically only a threat (though a pretty big one) if you enter its habitat. The third is a more general threat and can absolutely come to you.

In addition to this, you have the pirates to deal with and some other new big threats which likely will remain unrevealed in any major way so that you can discover them yourselves after release.

Ah ok nice.

Hopefully later on down the line there's room for Monster expansion also, maybe after Pirates.

Maybe nothing too major, not quite as lofty as some of my initial ideas

More realistic ideas:

-Maybe an additional Monster type or 3.

-Maybe each type has their own minor differences. Maybe one is tankier but slower. Maybe another splits apart into two smaller ones when destroyed. Maybe another spits monster goo from afar - still penetrating shields and basically like an armor/hull acidic DoT (maybe the slower but tankier one) Maybe another is more parasitic and so as previously mentioned infects ships (and maybe structures at a slower rate) taking them over. No big differences or major design needed or anything between infected Monster ships - just mostly differences in survivability depending on size (maybe all have the same attack, or one ranged monster goo attack and the other a melee tentacle attack.)

-Maybe they all have tiers or evolutions, say "Young Kaltor" "Adult Kaltor" "Giant Kaltor" "Ancient Kaltor" with even just mostly stat increases. Again nothing too major in terms of development, but some more cool variety and scaling to interact with in playthroughs. Maybe one playthrough is a free-for-all Pirates, Empires and Monsters (and Ancient Dangers) with equal strength and amount settings. Maybe another playthrough is "Stronger" Pirates and Monsters with the roleplay that society as we know it fell. Maybe another could be a zombie apocalypse survival style playthrough with "Very Strong" Monsters, Weak Pirates and Empires and no Ancient Dangers. Etc. Lots of options, variety and so even more replayability.

-Maybe each Monster type has a way of generating more Monsters and so basically a base, so it's another unique consistent threat to deal with and go and take care of when you're strong enough. Maybe one as previously mentioned has a hive, maybe the one that infects has an infected Spacestation. Maybe another is the previously mentioned Queen that's slow but mobile, offering a somewhat different threat that you need to keep an eye on if you can't yet deal with it because it's always moving throughout the galaxy. Makes it more dynamic. Maybe the Hive or another is out in Deadspace and so hard to track down - you need to pay to attention to the direction of the attacks and/or have good sensor coverage.

-Maybe the main Monster hubs have say 5 or 6 "Young" versions around it, 3 or 4 "Adult" versions, 2 or 3 "Giants" and maybe one or two "Ancients" (Subject to strength/amount settings on world gen) to defend their home and show that you're deep in Monster territory, a good fight for your fleet first before you can clear them out - As well as more Monsters being made to take over other areas, attack things passing by, attack things specifically entering their territory, or more sentient ones actively going out and hunting Empires and Pirates. Utilising the different personalities you already mentioned they have, which is cool.

-Imagine situations like seeing a type of monster enter anothers territory and find Monster on Monster warfare, then Pirates warp into the middle of it trying to clear the sector and take over the nice independent/high quality planet they found, you then decide to warp in and take advantage of it to clear them all out, firing broadsides from the outskirts, then you see Space Rats have sent a couple of salvagers that just warped in and are trying to raid the salvage before anyone else does haha. Would bring the world alive that much more. Even if they weren't hostile to eachother they'd still add to the life of the galaxy with wars between Empires/Pirates/Monsters/Players and Ancient Dangers.

I'd personally pay for another DLC/Expansion based on Monsters.

TL:DR
-more monster types
-monster tiers/evolutions
-monster bases and generation
-minor unique monster traits

< Message edited by Whiskiz -- 1/31/2021 6:00:01 AM >

Post #: 13
RE: Wouldn't it be nice if... - 1/31/2021 2:05:24 PM   
Erik Rutins

I'm sure we'll add more creatures as we go on through the expansions. We had quite a few creature ideas we couldn't fit into this release as well. Creatures can already grow in size over their lifetimes and they can already reproduce. In some cases, they hang out mostly alone, others are pretty much always in groups. You could potentially run into more than one creature type as well as pirates in the same system. That type of emergent interplay is one of the things we try to aim for, we'll see if we get there.

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to Whiskiz)
Post #: 14
RE: Wouldn't it be nice if... - 1/31/2021 2:34:07 PM   
Whiskiz

Having the ability for creatures* to already be able to grow, to be able to reproduce and for different types to meet up along with pirates etc, for more emergent gameplay and with that specific intention already in mind - is awesome (and most of what i had in mind already.)

Having the different personalities in relation to sticking together or lone wolfing etc, together with you previously mentioning them having different personalities in relation to aggression (relatively peaceful, if enter their habitat, outright will come to you) on top is icing on the cake.

On the one hand i should probably wait to see the Beta feedback/until i can play before commenting on further ideas - that might already be implemented, on the other hand i like talking about the game, coming up with more ideas for it and finding out more and more awesome stuff.

I still want that creature* expansion as an excuse to throw more money at you guys. Just make a single creature, name it Ted, give it its own expansion and take my money!

Post #: 15
RE: Wouldn't it be nice if... - 2/1/2021 1:39:01 PM   
Hyperion1

I like all these ideas about creatures, there are lot of stuff very fun when we imaging playing.

I would like also to have more peaceful creatures that could be tamed, used as ship skull we can inhabit (for make a base or a ship at cheaper price) or have an utility in the stellar ecosystem.
Like for this last, something "eating" gas at the giant gas planet and "poop" another type of ressource exploitable.
Our empire would have the choice to let these creatures alone, kill them for avoid annoyance around gas mining bases or exploit the sub product for another type of technology.

(in reply to Whiskiz)
Post #: 16
RE: Wouldn't it be nice if... - 2/1/2021 3:30:34 PM   
Miletkir

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hyperion1
I would like also to have more peaceful creatures that could be tamed, used as ship skull we can inhabit (for make a base or a ship at cheaper price) or have an utility in the stellar ecosystem.
Like for this last, something "eating" gas at the giant gas planet and "poop" another type of ressource exploitable.
Our empire would have the choice to let these creatures alone, kill them for avoid annoyance around gas mining bases or exploit the sub product for another type of technology.

I like that a lot!

(in reply to Hyperion1)
Post #: 17
RE: Wouldn't it be nice if... - 2/5/2021 12:29:55 PM   
Rising-Sun

There was one thing did bother me the most when playing DW:U, when a faction or species, kept sending a parley or bugging me about something. So i had to keep hitting the close button. Not sure if there a way to completely ignored them during peacetime or wartime. Idk the AIs feel kinda dumb, that keep asking me these things.

(in reply to Miletkir)
Post #: 18
RE: Wouldn't it be nice if... - 2/5/2021 1:24:29 PM   
ASHBERY76

I want a monster that goes to planets and eats the population and various monsters with a real threat like the silvermist.Various Grand Menaces like in SOTS.

(in reply to Rising-Sun)
Post #: 19
RE: Wouldn't it be nice if... - 2/5/2021 6:32:16 PM   
Rising-Sun

I want a portrait and setup so i can play Ridley Scott's Aliens :) Guess i can do that myself when the time comes. Already manage to do this on DW:U...

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1624146718

Opps, that is Stelleris, thought it was DW:U. I had a few setup there, but no screenshot.

< Message edited by Rising-Sun -- 2/5/2021 6:34:40 PM >

(in reply to ASHBERY76)
Post #: 20
RE: Wouldn't it be nice if... - 2/6/2021 6:13:06 AM   
Whiskiz

Some more good ideas.

Maybe the resource the creature poops can be chosen to be used in place of normal resources and boosts whatever it's used in - say increased shielding, firepower, engine speed, warp speed etc by 20% or even colony development or whatever if used in food/colony, maybe research if studying it, tourism if using it to organically grow a rare resource garden or something to look at.

As well as the peaceful creatures that just get about the galaxy doing their own thing and maybe you can build a station that produces their favorite food as a means to attract/tame them.

But i was just thinking - i can't wait to see how awesome the creatures that are already there look with the new graphics...

(in reply to Rising-Sun)
Post #: 21
RE: Wouldn't it be nice if... - 2/6/2021 2:36:42 PM   
Rising-Sun

quote:

ORIGINAL: Whiskiz

Some more good ideas.

Maybe the resource the creature poops can be chosen to be used in place of normal resources and boosts whatever it's used in - say increased shielding, firepower, engine speed, warp speed etc by 20% or even colony development or whatever if used in food/colony, maybe research if studying it, tourism if using it to organically grow a rare resource garden or something to look at.

As well as the peaceful creatures that just get about the galaxy doing their own thing and maybe you can build a station that produces their favorite food as a means to attract/tame them.

But i was just thinking - i can't wait to see how awesome the creatures that are already there look with the new graphics...

That remind me of whales, find stuffs on the beach that smelled terrible. They make perfumes and other stuffs from it.

(in reply to Whiskiz)
Post #: 22
RE: Wouldn't it be nice if... - 2/7/2021 4:39:38 PM   
Hyperion1

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rising-Sun

That remind me of whales, find stuffs on the beach that smelled terrible. They make perfumes and other stuffs from it.

Hahaha ! I love this idea, make highly sougth luxury parfum, from space whale poop !

(in reply to Rising-Sun)
Post #: 23
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Coming Soon] >> Distant Worlds 2 >> Wouldn't it be nice if... Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI