Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

View Previous Battle Details?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Shadow Empire >> View Previous Battle Details? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
View Previous Battle Details? - 4/2/2021 6:37:44 PM   
deMangler

Hi :)
Is there a way to review previous combats after they are completed and the combat screen is closed.

I would really like to go over some of my previous combats round-by-round bit I can't find a way.

Thanks.
Post #: 1
RE: View Previous Battle Details? - 4/2/2021 6:51:13 PM   
zgrssd

There is no way and it has been requested a lot. Especially for the combat outside of your turns.

Vic thus far said it would be too Memory intensive.

(in reply to deMangler)
Post #: 2
RE: View Previous Battle Details? - 4/2/2021 9:01:26 PM   
deMangler

Thanks for the reply.
Maybe in the future there will be an option to export a battle log to a file for review.
Meanwhile - further battles await.... :)

(in reply to zgrssd)
Post #: 3
RE: View Previous Battle Details? - 4/3/2021 4:28:23 PM   
DasTactic

Yes, we miss a lot of intel by not having access to battle reports after the fact. Would be great if all battle reports from the end of the last turn were kept (AI turn and your turn).

(in reply to deMangler)
Post #: 4
RE: View Previous Battle Details? - 4/3/2021 5:28:29 PM   
Pymous

I agree, would be great!
But It would be even better for suspense/immersion to have more details during the turn resolution! (similar to the sequence during player turn?)

< Message edited by Pymous -- 4/3/2021 5:31:44 PM >

(in reply to DasTactic)
Post #: 5
RE: View Previous Battle Details? - 4/3/2021 6:40:05 PM   
zgrssd

quote:

ORIGINAL: Pymous

I agree, would be great!
But It would be even better for suspense/immersion to have more details during the turn resolution! (similar to the sequence during player turn?)

This would break for MP, where AI or other players can act on you while the game does not even run on your computer.
He would need to add a permanent reprot of some sort to fix that.

(in reply to Pymous)
Post #: 6
RE: View Previous Battle Details? - 4/3/2021 8:13:02 PM   
Daza99

What if battle reports was saved as a txt file, like a log file or data dump and we can open them up and view it while waiting for the turn resolution outside of the game. I know SE will work fine when computing if you alt tab to desktop (maybe not on older computers).

So we could view these saved files in wordpad which would be better than nothing. The filename could have round/turn number and regime name of the target/attacker and a report/log number.

Or would this idea still be compromised with what Vic said about memory in terms of formatting the data to write to file?

[I just noticed DeMangler already suggested a log file]

(in reply to zgrssd)
Post #: 7
RE: View Previous Battle Details? - 4/3/2021 8:29:18 PM   
zgrssd

quote:

ORIGINAL: Daza99

What if battle reports was saved as a txt file, like a log file or data dump and we can open them up and view it while waiting for the turn resolution outside of the game. I know SE will work fine when computing if you alt tab to desktop (maybe not on older computers).

So we could view these saved files in wordpad which would be better than nothing. The filename could have round/turn number and regime name of the target/attacker and a report/log number.

Or would this idea still be compromised with what Vic said about memory in terms of formatting the data to write to file?

That would add a huge information leak in Multiplayer. Every enemy the savegame+logfile is passed through could just read the file, knowing where each combat happened (and thus were your armies are).

This is simply not a thing that can be fudged. It needs to be done right or not at all.

(in reply to Daza99)
Post #: 8
RE: View Previous Battle Details? - 4/3/2021 9:15:51 PM   
Daza99

quote:

ORIGINAL: zgrssd

quote:

That would add a huge information leak in Multiplayer. Every enemy the savegame+logfile is passed through could just read the file, knowing where each combat happened (and thus were your armies are).

This is simply not a thing that can be fudged. It needs to be done right or not at all.

I haven't yet tried MP, so i didn't think of that. But perhaps the log reports will be only specific to your own regime battles only, so players will not be able to see reports from other player regime battles just their own.

(in reply to zgrssd)
Post #: 9
RE: View Previous Battle Details? - 4/3/2021 10:38:09 PM   
zgrssd

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: zgrssd

quote:

I haven't yet tried MP, so i didn't think of that. But perhaps the log reports will be only specific to your own regime battles only, so players will not be able to see reports from other player regime battles just their own.

Not playing MP myself, just thinking up some nessesary limits.

The problem with your second approach is, that combat can hit you from any player or AI that is acting after you. So this data would have to be handed down with the savegame or it would simply not be there to watch.
The only save place would be in the savegame - at wich point we have come unfortunately come full circle.

If there is a log, it would need a disable switch so MP games can just turn it off.

(in reply to Daza99)
Post #: 10
RE: View Previous Battle Details? - 4/3/2021 11:02:29 PM   
Daza99

You made some good points and your solution perhaps would do the trick for MP nicely.

(in reply to zgrssd)
Post #: 11
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Shadow Empire >> View Previous Battle Details? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI