Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Losing strength after move?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> The Operational Art of War IV >> Losing strength after move? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Losing strength after move? - 5/2/2021 11:28:54 AM   
amattin

Hi, I'm playing Bob's Gettysburg and having a great time. One question, which I don't think is scenario specific:

Playing as Union A lot of my units are bunched up and my line is grinding against the Confederate line. I have some higher strengthen Infantry units that I'm trying to shift along the line, but I notice that when I move them laterally, they lose a couple of strength points (I didn't notice whether the defense points change). So, like a 19-17 will shift one adjacent hex and it will have been reduced to 16-17. I can't see that this is from opportunity fire, though there are a lot of enemy cannons around. Is there a strength penalty for moving under fire, or moving while in an enemy zoc?

Post #: 1
RE: Losing strength after move? - 5/2/2021 12:48:04 PM   
Lobster

When a unit moves it loses readiness, it becomes less ready. For a Civil War formation I imagine it becomes a bit disorganized since formation was a big factor in fire power that would result in a loss of strength. It uses supply. It loses people, some can't keep up and become stragglers. All of this results in a loss of strength. If you don't move the unit it regains that lost strength for obvious reasons.

I've probably missed a couple of things but it's early and I've not had coffee yet.

http://www.operationbarbarossa.net/

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity and I’m not sure about the universe-Einstein

Q: What do you call a boomerang that doesn’t come back?
A: A stick.

(in reply to amattin)
Post #: 2
RE: Losing strength after move? - 5/2/2021 1:52:42 PM   
Curtis Lemay

quote:

ORIGINAL: amattin

Hi, I'm playing Bob's Gettysburg and having a great time. One question, which I don't think is scenario specific:

Playing as Union A lot of my units are bunched up and my line is grinding against the Confederate line. I have some higher strengthen Infantry units that I'm trying to shift along the line, but I notice that when I move them laterally, they lose a couple of strength points (I didn't notice whether the defense points change). So, like a 19-17 will shift one adjacent hex and it will have been reduced to 16-17. I can't see that this is from opportunity fire, though there are a lot of enemy cannons around. Is there a strength penalty for moving under fire, or moving while in an enemy zoc?

Lobster's comments usually apply to most scenarios. But, for Gettysburg 1863, both the Supply and Readiness costs of movement are zero. His remarks about stragglers still apply, though. Also, if a unit moves from an enemy zoc and there was no remaining friendly unit in that zoc it suffers a disengagement attack. That may be what is happening. (See 10.4.10)

< Message edited by Curtis Lemay -- 5/2/2021 1:55:48 PM >

My TOAW web site:

Bob Cross's TOAW Site

(in reply to amattin)
Post #: 3
RE: Losing strength after move? - 5/2/2021 2:37:09 PM   
golden delicious

If the units are losing a noticeable amount of strength when moving, it might also be because their supply level was above 100%. Units in place can go up to 150% supply, but when moving it immediately drops to a maximum of 100%.

Unit quality is (2x proficiency + readiness + supply) / 4 so a typical unit would go from (60 + 60 + 100 + 150) / 4 = 92.5 to (60 + 60 + 100 + 100) / 4 = 80. That would account for losing a couple of points of strength on the counter.

"What did you read at university?"
"War Studies"
"War? Huh. What is it good for?"
"Absolutely nothing."

(in reply to Curtis Lemay)
Post #: 4
RE: Losing strength after move? - 5/3/2021 11:43:43 AM   
amattin

Thanks everyone, as always this is super helpful. What you'd all said about readiness, supply, and disengagement makes complete sense. I think that, as with many things in the game, I was taking a simplistic view of the "strength" number. As in, I was thinking that strength represented the number of soldiers (guns, etc) and the unit health rolled up supply and readiness. So after a move or disorganization I expected strength to stay the same but health to go down. Basically I expected strength to stay the same unless parts of the unit were casualties. I definitely think that I have enough awareness of the basic game now to dig into the manual and have it make a little more sense. I have another question about stack sizes but I'll put that in a separate thread. Thank you all for being so helpful!

(in reply to golden delicious)
Post #: 5
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> The Operational Art of War IV >> Losing strength after move? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI