Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Playstation 5 or the new Xbox?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Playstation 5 or the new Xbox? Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Playstation 5 or the new Xbox? - 12/5/2020 12:05:48 PM   
Protonic2020

Yes, you clicked it that´s the question. Edit time!

< Message edited by Protonic2020 -- 12/5/2020 3:07:46 PM >
Post #: 1
RE: Playstation 5 or the new Xbox? - 12/8/2020 10:28:21 PM   
Will_L

Both?
Or neither?

(in reply to Protonic2020)
Post #: 2
RE: Playstation 5 or the new Xbox? - 12/9/2020 12:29:54 AM   
MrsWargamer

I'm not a gamer per se, but I have to wonder, is the new generation device worth it?

I also don't update my phone every 5 months. I have a perfectly acceptable LG X2 power (I think that's the name). I think it is like 3 years ago in tech. Telus (my provider) is always trying to offer me 'a great deal' on getting a new one. Oh, like I so want to be made to pay 30 extra bucks a month to get the latest flavour of nothing has really changed much.

Which is why I wonder, what precisely does the PS5 do that's shockingly better than the PS4? If you have a PS4. I had a PS3 mainly because it played bluray. Wish I had kept it. But, then aside from LotR and Hobbit, I don't buy bluray content because media services have become the norm.

Are they even making new games that really need the new hardware?

Wargame, 05% of the time.
Play with Barbies 05% of the time.
Play with Legos 10% of the time.
Build models 20% of the time
Shopping 60% of the time.
Exlains why I buy em more than I play em.

(in reply to Will_L)
Post #: 3
RE: Playstation 5 or the new Xbox? - 12/9/2020 1:05:35 AM   
Protonic2020

quote:

ORIGINAL: MrsWargamer
I'm not a gamer per se, but I have to wonder, is the new generation device worth it?

I also don't update my phone every 5 months. I have a perfectly acceptable LG X2 power (I think that's the name). I think it is like 3 years ago in tech. Telus (my provider) is always trying to offer me 'a great deal' on getting a new one. Oh, like I so want to be made to pay 30 extra bucks a month to get the latest flavour of nothing has really changed much.

Which is why I wonder, what precisely does the PS5 do that's shockingly better than the PS4? If you have a PS4. I had a PS3 mainly because it played bluray. Wish I had kept it. But, then aside from LotR and Hobbit, I don't buy bluray content because media services have become the norm.

Are they even making new games that really need the new hardware?

That´s what i doubt as well, Red Dead Redemption 2 is the only one that sticks out and which i haven´t played yet. I have unofficially quit gaming at the age of 54, heck i feel i´m done with everything. But Matrixgames and Slitherine made me feel like i could do a little comeback, the games here ignited a spark in me again but apart from the little good gaming i do i have actually distanced myself from it all, everything.

I will give some games i bought from them a serious go apart from just feeling them out so far, some are quite heavy here to learn, but i believe they´re worth it. I´m about to whoop the Germans in Tunis CC The Bloody first but it was bloody hard?? Not like the old CC games.
But MrsGamer you´re right in your doubts, i´m there as well. Games are not all "that" anymore and i have my mind on other things really, with this i distract myself and slip away from what´s my reality since it´s like it is.

Your "Telus" there sounds familiar, my broadband service provider is called something similar, "Telia". Crooks i called them along with the other big one in Sweden. I unleashed rage at them and they pull back, innocent people don´t go into hiding.
One of my e-mails to them to read and you would know it´s not love, i told them off since they´re just "only in it for the money".

So! I´m one of those who could go out on the street with a sign that says "the end is near! Repent" but that´s so radical and unproductive, but it would be something to do at least?
(Was this off topic now? Oh well).

Think for yourself and never let others do it for you

(in reply to MrsWargamer)
Post #: 4
RE: Playstation 5 or the new Xbox? - 12/9/2020 7:00:01 AM   
Neilster

A good summary here...

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2020/11/xbox-series-x-s-vs-playstation-5-our-launch-month-verdict/

I often have a "late adoption" policy unless it's something very important to me. It appeals to my sense of efficiency and I quite like keeping older things going and wringing the absolute maximum out of them. It's usually more environmentally friendly too.

< Message edited by Neilster -- 12/9/2020 7:04:39 AM >

Cheers, Neilster

Post #: 5
RE: Playstation 5 or the new Xbox? - 12/9/2020 1:00:18 PM   
Protonic2020

quote:

ORIGINAL: Neilster

A good summary here...

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2020/11/xbox-series-x-s-vs-playstation-5-our-launch-month-verdict/

I often have a "late adoption" policy unless it's something very important to me. It appeals to my sense of efficiency and I quite like keeping older things going and wringing the absolute maximum out of them. It's usually more environmentally friendly too.

Spiderman there, if that´s what i´m supposed to be hyped over and... "pull me back in" no, i say NO. Better then Godfather 3 with Al Pacino. (NOT as i typed first: Godfather with 3 Al Pacino).
- "Am i OK??
- No, call an ambu.....

Not the best titles for me to start with to make me interested in getting anyone of those consoles, besides these two new ones are impractical in it´s dimensions and FUGLY.
Old Marvel comics "super hero" kiddo games bonanza these days often led by a game called Fortnite, surely tightly followed in a good second and third place with some "My Pony meets Super Mario" and "Sonic the Hedgehog in Pokemon 8" some LEGO game misses the list but worth mentioning.

I jump off the game train heading for God knows where since crap should not be talked about, and now i lost interest in typing this comment also.

Hasta la vista babies, Sayonara Sahara since i´m about to punch out anyway, the truth and nothing but the truth. Last time i mention that now but i like to be honest with whom i am AS WELL. I like honesty a lot.

Edit: Half a page of cr@p cut out. The BS struck again.

< Message edited by Protonic2020 -- 12/9/2020 2:31:33 PM >

Think for yourself and never let others do it for you

(in reply to Neilster)
Post #: 6
RE: Playstation 5 or the new Xbox? - 12/9/2020 6:54:07 PM   
LarryP

I've had a PS4 for years. The Sony store is full of crap games, if you like to buy and play mostly crap, buy a PS5. There are a few good games, but the ratio in my opinion is about 99% crap, .5% OK, .5% great. My opinion.

The PS4 games choices are so swayed to games like Doom, Diablo, Devil this, Demons that, it's sickening. One would think that the holocaust and\or apocalypse has happened by the trend of Sony's game market. If you like this type of game, then you would very much like PS5. There are some good sports games, motocross, and simulations of a few sorts, but the ratio is very low, and the ratings are too. The PC games beat the consoles in choices, but it is really nice to just use a controller and not have to worry about graphic card specs, memory, CPU, all those PC things that make gaming a pain sometimes. The console, you just game and that's it. I love that about consoles, but your choices are few if you are a typical Matrix type gamer.

I play theHunter Classic on PC, have for about five years, my favorite game. I bought Call of the Wild on PS4. It's the newer version of the Classic. I cannot pause the game at any menu, it runs in the background EVEN in the Options menu. I have to exit the game to pause it in any way. Phone rings, tough. Nature calls, tough. This is typical of many console games versus PC. The Classic version pauses, does everything I want. The console version is garbage in comparison. I've seen this a lot in the PS games. However, Assassins Creed Odyssey on PS4 is one of the best games I have ever played! It's also on sale now for $14.99, down from $59.99. So are Detroit and Horizon Zero Dawn - also amazing. Amazing games all three! However, they are rare. It seems a lot of companies think they can put a stripped down game on PS4 and it will sell well. I've bought many games for the PS4 that I had first had on my PC's. Some are as good, most are not. DLC for the PC are not always found on the PS4 games, this is really maddening. Example: House Flipper on the PC has a few DLC's, the PS4 version has none. They make the game, but they are not there. Happens a lot.

I play Fishing Planet on the PC with a controller. Really beats using the mouse. Much easier! So I bought it for the PS4. Wrong move. A company called BigBen bought a license from the devs, and it's a piece of junk on the PS4. Has all the same exact looks as the original, but none of your accomplishments transfer, nothing is related other than the way it looks and plays. Fishing Planet has 60 levels, and levels are everything in what you can and cannot do. Nothing transfers. Nothing said either, you find out the hard way. No comments on the console either so you have to do your own homework for what a game lacks or doesn't. There are 5 star ratings and thumbs ups, but no comments, and no thumbs down.

One of the biggest complaints I have is that there are no returns, unless you want to dedicate the rest of your life going through their menus, only to find that at the very end, they tell you that they are shorthanded and cannot process your request. If you want to return a game, forget it. This was even the case LONG before COVID19.

Slitherine put Fantasy General 2 on the PC, then on the PS4. It's the same on both, thank you Slitherine! When it came out on PC, I asked Slitherine if they would put FG2 on PS4 and they said they would. They did!

Paradox put Stellaris on the PS4, did an excellent job! DLC too!

I don't know anything about XBox, other than it's MicroSoft and I stay away from that company as far as I can get.

Example of MicroSoft: I bought a couple word games for my laptop. Every once in a while, WITHOUT MY PERMISSION, they open up the MS Store WITH Edge (not my default browser, Chrome is) and advertise other games to buy. I've been in the middle of important programs, bam, MS Store opens up and unsolicited garbage is thrown in my face. There's more, but this is bad enough... Win10 updates are hell too.

< Message edited by LarryP -- 12/10/2020 12:56:09 AM >

Post #: 7
RE: Playstation 5 or the new Xbox? - 12/10/2020 6:04:13 PM   
burbigo

I really like the look of the Xbox and Microsoft says they're on the right track at the moment but I already have a PC so no interest in buying the console.
If I take one it will be a PS5.

(in reply to LarryP)
Post #: 8
RE: Playstation 5 or the new Xbox? - 12/10/2020 7:26:52 PM   
LarryP

quote:

ORIGINAL: burbigo

I really like the look of the Xbox and Microsoft says they're on the right track at the moment but I already have a PC so no interest in buying the console.
If I take one it will be a PS5.

But MS said they are on the right track.

(in reply to burbigo)
Post #: 9
RE: Playstation 5 or the new Xbox? - 12/10/2020 8:41:48 PM   
Kuokkanen

New consoles offer higher resolutions, so there is that. Older games are scaled up to higher resolutions and there can be some other graphical improvements. Don't take my word for it; look up videos on YouTube or something. Cyberpunk 2077 seems to have some graphical issues on PS4 to extent that port is compared to PS2 games. I don't know if it's any better on PS5, so find out more if you're interested to play that game on a console. Otherwise consoles are cheaper than PCs of equal performance.

It is said that PS4 versions of the games are censored, and there may be some truth in that. Japanese Omega Labyrinth Life trailer does epic troll on it. Turn on subtitles and translation to make sense of it. I don't expect PS5 games to have a different policy.

< Message edited by Kuokkanen -- 12/10/2020 8:43:09 PM >

You know what they say, don't you? About how us MechWarriors are the modern knights, how warfare has become civilized now that we have to abide by conventions and rules of war. Don't believe it.

MekWars

Post #: 10
RE: Playstation 5 or the new Xbox? - 12/11/2020 2:09:19 PM   
Rising-Sun

Well i own PS4 Pro, pretty pricey console unit and i feel that far i will go. I spend most of my time on PC anyway. Beside would be waste of money buying those, not mention that is not easy to use the controllers to aim your bow or driving, kinda wonky and not smooth like using a mouse and keyboard. Sadly they never expand to add devices to console units to use those. You could get a set of driving wheel to drive or flight stick, but what about aiming your bow or gun?

I wouldnt even bother with these console, PC is a way to go and can do so much more with a PC over a console anyway, if you have the enough to spend it on.

(in reply to Kuokkanen)
Post #: 11
RE: Playstation 5 or the new Xbox? - 12/11/2020 2:52:34 PM   
wodin

The specs for both new consoles are superb. However I don't play the type of games that come out on console ones I do play like RDR2 there is no way I could enjoy shooting using a controller, no idea how they manage.

Now if I was into racing games and say FIFA I'd probably want one.

Spec wise you'd have to spend way more than the console price to build a PC system of similar power.In two or three years the PC will be way ahead of the new consoles, at the moment though as I said they do have awesome specs.

(in reply to Rising-Sun)
Post #: 12
RE: Playstation 5 or the new Xbox? - 12/11/2020 3:56:43 PM   
Rising-Sun

quote:

ORIGINAL: wodin

The specs for both new consoles are superb. However I don't play the type of games that come out on console ones I do play like RDR2 there is no way I could enjoy shooting using a controller, no idea how they manage.

Now if I was into racing games and say FIFA I'd probably want one.

Spec wise you'd have to spend way more than the console price to build a PC system of similar power.In two or three years the PC will be way ahead of the new consoles, at the moment though as I said they do have awesome specs.

Yeah the technologies is growing pretty darn fast, might wanna wait few years. So there no telling if they is good ideas to grab it when first came out, i perfer to wait and see if there anything you want to runs it.

(in reply to wodin)
Post #: 13
RE: Playstation 5 or the new Xbox? - 12/11/2020 4:34:55 PM   
Kuokkanen

quote:

ORIGINAL: wodin

Spec wise you'd have to spend way more than the console price to build a PC system of similar power.

Center of target. Decent graphic adapter alone cost more than the top console.

You know what they say, don't you? About how us MechWarriors are the modern knights, how warfare has become civilized now that we have to abide by conventions and rules of war. Don't believe it.

MekWars

(in reply to wodin)
Post #: 14
RE: Playstation 5 or the new Xbox? - 12/11/2020 5:28:09 PM   
LarryP

I am tired of the hardware for PC's being the main issue of whether I can play a game or not. There are many games on Steam I have to pass on cause of my CPU or GPU or both. That's the best thing about consoles, if it's built for it, then it works the same on all. No RAM issues, yeah!!!

I prefer shooting on the console any day over the mouse and keyboard. No comparison for me, controller wins every time. I use the controller on the PC for games if they support it. It's an individual preference, neither is better, just a preference. Press L2 to aim my bow, R2 to shoot. Walking around on the PC using WASD is just plain stupid for me. My fingers get confused all the time.

(in reply to Kuokkanen)
Post #: 15
RE: Playstation 5 or the new Xbox? - 12/11/2020 5:57:02 PM   
Rising-Sun

quote:

ORIGINAL: Grognerd_INC

For my tastes in games my PS4 pro was really a waste of money, not too many titles caught my interest, I'm not a big shooter type, 1st, 2nd or 3rd person. I will not go for a next generation console, but before I say never, there would have to be a paradigm shift in games to get my interest. You know the saying though, never say never.

I got this PS4 Pro and a used one for my gf so we can play GTA Online together, then it started to get silly and boring later on. Rockstar do have problems and not really that creative than i thought.

There are a few games, but i perfer PC over PS4 or even a Xbox.

quote:

ORIGINAL: LarryP

I am tired of the hardware for PC's being the main issue of whether I can play a game or not. There are many games on Steam I have to pass on cause of my CPU or GPU or both. That's the best thing about consoles, if it's built for it, then it works the same on all. No RAM issues, yeah!!!

I prefer shooting on the console any day over the mouse and keyboard. No comparison for me, controller wins every time. I use the controller on the PC for games if they support it. It's an individual preference, neither is better, just a preference. Press L2 to aim my bow, R2 to shoot. Walking around on the PC using WASD is just plain stupid for me. My fingers get confused all the time.

Well the PC is more expensive, of course you need knowledge and experiences how to deal with it. Some games are old, require some twinks or work around. Others either the game has bugs or drivers as well hardware is out of date. There are few games i bought for PS4 Pro crashed too. So nothing is better than a PC for sure, cause you can do so much more.

The WASD was the best thing over a controller, just need practice it alot. I grew up on console, like Atari 2600/5200 and others then finally learn to deal with PC. Thanks for Microsoft or IBM manage to grow and become a successful business as well gaming over Apple or Mac.

< Message edited by Rising-Sun -- 12/11/2020 6:00:58 PM >

Post #: 16
RE: Playstation 5 or the new Xbox? - 12/11/2020 9:42:08 PM   
RFalvo69

quote:

ORIGINAL: Kuokkanen

New consoles offer higher resolutions, so there is that. Older games are scaled up to higher resolutions and there can be some other graphical improvements. Don't take my word for it; look up videos on YouTube or something. Cyberpunk 2077 seems to have some graphical issues on PS4 to extent that port is compared to PS2 games.

CD Project games ALWAYS have troubled launches. The good news is that they always follow up with patches and, sometimes, additional content for free.

The first Witcher game was both amazing and so problematic that the videos ran at 3fps or so. After a few months CD Project released a patch that it was almost as big as the game, and it become a polished jewel. The same happened with The Witcher 3.

I plan to buy Cyberpunk 2077 (I was a cyberpunk nut back in the day, but we preferred GURPS Cyberpunk to Cyberpunk 2020 - which is the basis for CP2077). However I'll wait for at least two patches or more. You can already find posts of players who are unable to finish the tutorial, or that find that the dialogues are out of sync, and so on. Sheer CD Project game at launch.

"Yes darling, I served in the Navy for eight years. I was a cook..."
"Oh dad... so you were a God-damned cook?"

(My 10 years old daughter after watching "The Hunt for Red October")

(in reply to Kuokkanen)
Post #: 17
RE: Playstation 5 or the new Xbox? - 12/11/2020 10:48:42 PM   
gekkoguy35

FWIW, I haven't experienced any issues with CP2077. It has run like a dream for me on high/ultra settings, even though my processor is on their low end. There have been some odd graphical things here and there, but overall it has been great. That's the thing with PC, "your mileage may vary" is an understatement in some instances, this being a prime example. Loads of folks are really struggling with this game, and others have no issues.

(in reply to RFalvo69)
Post #: 18
RE: Playstation 5 or the new Xbox? - 12/12/2020 12:16:45 AM   
LarryP

It's on PS4 now too.

(in reply to gekkoguy35)
Post #: 19
RE: Playstation 5 or the new Xbox? - 12/12/2020 2:26:26 AM   
Greybriar

quote:

ORIGINAL: Protonic2020

Neither. I do all my gaming on my computer.

This war is not about slavery. --Robert E. Lee

Post #: 20
RE: Playstation 5 or the new Xbox? - 12/12/2020 2:10:00 PM   
Kuokkanen

quote:

ORIGINAL: Greybriar

quote:

ORIGINAL: Protonic2020

Neither. I do all my gaming on my computer.

Good PC goes long way. If you have 10 years old desktop PC with high end graphic adapter of the time (more $$ than top end console), many new games should run on it. Just earlier this week I made a test with a new game (Phoenix Point Year One Edition) on my 11 years old laptop, and game works on it. With numerous graphical glitches. In case of desktop computer, all it takes is change of graphic adapter and increase of RAM to get new games going with less than high graphics settings. But let's face it: good desktop game PC cost double the $$ of a game console without a monitor, and decent upgrade cost just as much as new console. Used hardware goes for less, but it apply to consoles too.

[edit]
So gamer with $400 (or cheaper) laptop isn't going to enjoy playing Cyberpunk 2077 on it, and game console would be cheaper investment than new desktop PC for that game.

< Message edited by Kuokkanen -- 12/12/2020 2:13:22 PM >

MekWars

(in reply to Greybriar)
Post #: 21
RE: Playstation 5 or the new Xbox? - 12/12/2020 4:10:30 PM   
sPzAbt653

I recommend this one [pet miniature Yeti not included]:

Attachment (1)

Post #: 22
RE: Playstation 5 or the new Xbox? - 12/13/2020 6:09:35 AM   
ElvisJJonesRambo

Not able to buy either, so no real point. Hype will die when units are finally available in May.

Without Him, I could do nothing
Without Him, I'd surely fail
Without Him, I would be drifting
Like a ship without a sail

(in reply to sPzAbt653)
Post #: 23
RE: Playstation 5 or the new Xbox? - 12/13/2020 6:05:59 PM   
Gilmer

I just built a new computer, so computer is the way to go for me right now. I never owned a PS4 so I may not ever own a PS5. I do have a PS3. Wow, the graphics are so bad.

Long story short - most games I want to play are on the computer. So, that is where I am right now.

"Venimus, vidimus, Deus vicit" John III Sobieski as he entered Vienna on 9/11/1683. "I came, I saw, God conquered."
He that has a mind to fight, let him fight, for now is the time. - Anacreon

(in reply to ElvisJJonesRambo)
Post #: 24
RE: Playstation 5 or the new Xbox? - 12/13/2020 6:50:37 PM   
Kuokkanen

Couple videos from last year by JayzTwoCents. In the first one Jayz and his team make comparisons between 10 years old top end computer and new lower end one. In second video Jayz upgrades the old computer with around $300. Upgrade alone cost as much as Xbox Series S, the cheaper one of new Xboxes.
quote:

"Hold on, give my hard drive some time!"
* Facepalm

MekWars

Post #: 25
RE: Playstation 5 or the new Xbox? - 12/15/2020 5:37:32 PM   
RFalvo69

A nice summary of how CP2077 runs on a PS4

https://youtu.be/n8RTgWC23ng?t=74

BTW, Given how much the game is ridiculously broken at launch, they are offering refunds - which is more I can say about a certain other game sold by this very company (if you know me you know what I'm talking about ).

(in reply to Kuokkanen)
Post #: 26
RE: Playstation 5 or the new Xbox? - 12/17/2020 12:24:00 PM   
wodin

quote:

WOW I'm the opposite. No idea how you can aim quick and accurate without using keyboard and mouse. The first online shooter from both console and PC gamers to go head to head against found the PC players owned the console players due to using mouse and keyboard combination (they dropped the PC players with console players feature). So without the obligatory "aim assist" option console owners need then mouse and keyboard comes out on top for fast accurate control. As for he bow example for PC right click mouse to aim then left click to fire. Also you need both wasd and mouse to move around, wasd on it's own would be very difficult indeed.

Finally regarding the need to upgrade, console owners also have to upgrade every new console with a PC if you buy well you can get away with just the need of a graphics upgrade over the same lifetime of two new console releases before you really need to upgrade any thing else. I find the piece by piece upgrade of a PC suits me fine as rarely I need to spend more than Ł300 in one go on a new PC upgrade which is far less than what a new console layout would be.

< Message edited by wodin -- 12/17/2020 12:30:54 PM >

(in reply to LarryP)
Post #: 27
RE: Playstation 5 or the new Xbox? - 12/17/2020 6:30:38 PM   
LarryP

What I paid for my PS4 three years ago cost close to the same as a good video card for my PC. I've played dozens of games on the PS4 and never needed to be concerned about anything except for Sony's lousy system updates that sometimes mess the entire system up.

As far as WASD vs Controller, to each their own. Neither is wrong, both are a means to a task. I adapted to the controller like a duck adapts to the water. Quack quack!

(in reply to wodin)
Post #: 28
RE: Playstation 5 or the new Xbox? - 12/17/2020 7:45:06 PM   
RFalvo69

quote:

As far as WASD vs Controller, to each their own. Neither is wrong, both are a means to a task. I adapted to the controller like a duck adapts to the water. Quack quack!

I find the controller to be more relaxing, but I can't imagine playing the new Doom or other action-heavy games like Control with it. WASD + mouse can push the "act/aim/react" cycle far beyond what a controller allows.

I just started Death Stranding on PC and I'm using a XBox controller (today they released a sort of "cross-over content patch with Cyberpunk 2077 - oh, the irony ). When I launched the game, BTW, I thought that the landscapes reminded me of Valhalla Rising (the movie - I know, it would be great name for a game too) only to discover that Mads Mikkelsen and even Nicholas Winding Refn "play" characters in the game One can only wonder...

(in reply to LarryP)
Post #: 29
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Playstation 5 or the new Xbox? Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI