Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Why don't we have a "subsidy" mechanic?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Strategic Command Series >> Strategic Command WWII: World at War >> Why don't we have a "subsidy" mechanic? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Why don't we have a "subsidy" mechanic? - 5/22/2021 11:36:34 AM   
Alcibiades73

It's historical, and it would be better for game-play for MPP-strapped nations such as Italy. If you worry about it getting over-powered, you can put a limit on it. Say, 33 percent of recipient's total MPP generation per turn?
Post #: 1
RE: Why don't we have a "subsidy" mechanic? - 5/22/2021 12:06:53 PM   
Platoonist

quote:

ORIGINAL: Alcibiades73

It's historical, and it would be better for game-play for MPP-strapped nations such as Italy. If you worry about it getting over-powered, you can put a limit on it. Say, 33 percent of recipient's total MPP generation per turn?

This is a question that has been raised before many times. Interestingly, the mechanics for it actually exist in the World War I version of this game. In that game Germany can send the poverty-stricken Austrians MPPs every turn at a capped rate through an overland convoy. Austria can do the same for the Ottoman Empire once Serbia is conquered and the rail line is open.

I'd love to see this feature retro-fitted to this game. But, I'm no software developer so I don't know the issues that would be involved. Maybe it's just not a developer priority at the moment.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Alcibiades73)
Post #: 2
RE: Why don't we have a "subsidy" mechanic? - 5/22/2021 4:50:04 PM   
Alcibiades73

quote:

ORIGINAL: Platoonist

This is a question that has been raised before many times. Interestingly, the mechanics for it actually exist in the World War I version of this game. In that game Germany can send the poverty-stricken Austrians MPPs every turn at a capped rate through an overland convoy. Austria can do the same for the Ottoman Empire once Serbia is conquered and the rail line is open.

I'd love to see this feature retro-fitted to this game. But, I'm no software developer so I don't know the issues that would be involved. Maybe it's just not a developer priority at the moment.

Then it is indeed outright puzzling why the mechanic isn't in this game. Once again, it's both historically accurate and would enhance game-play.

(in reply to Platoonist)
Post #: 3
RE: Why don't we have a "subsidy" mechanic? - 5/22/2021 5:48:44 PM   
Bo Rearguard

There's also an Allied convoy route in that game which goes from Russia to Serbia though neutral Romania. Italy would sure benefit from one in this game.

quote:

Then it is indeed outright puzzling why the mechanic isn't in this game. Once again, it's both historically accurate and would enhance game-play.

My guess would be the idea for these land MPP routes came up during the development of the WWI game. Likely it's a lot easier to build something into the game architecture from the beginning than add it later.

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this dist ...." Union General John Sedgwick, 1864

Post #: 4
RE: Why don't we have a "subsidy" mechanic? - 5/22/2021 8:32:52 PM   
OldCrowBalthazor

quote:

Yeah, having an option like you asked for with WaW would be a great addition...Here's an image that shows how a typical land convoy route looks on the map in SC-WW1. They can be cut too, which makes for interesting strategic choices when planning future operations. :)

Incidentally, if Serbia falls in this game, the Entente player has the option to open a land convoy route from France to Italy, if Italy has joined the Entente that is.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by OldCrowBalthazor -- 5/22/2021 8:33:25 PM >

Post #: 5
RE: Why don't we have a "subsidy" mechanic? - 5/22/2021 8:54:49 PM   
Platoonist

quote:

ORIGINAL: OldCrowBalthazor

They can be cut too, which makes for interesting strategic choices when planning future operations. :)

Strategic Command: World War I. The game where friends can wire cash to friends.....provided the line doesn't get cut.

(in reply to OldCrowBalthazor)
Post #: 6
RE: Why don't we have a "subsidy" mechanic? - 5/22/2021 9:30:54 PM   
OldCrowBalthazor

quote:

ORIGINAL: Platoonist

quote:

ORIGINAL: OldCrowBalthazor

They can be cut too, which makes for interesting strategic choices when planning future operations. :)

Strategic Command: World War I. The game where friends can wire cash to friends.....provided the line doesn't get cut.

You forgot pigeons my friend, except...it has to be cash, and not bouillon.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Platoonist)
Post #: 7
RE: Why don't we have a "subsidy" mechanic? - 5/22/2021 9:53:59 PM   
Elessar2

A kludge would be to put a small (min 2 hexes) lake on the border between the two countries, and route a convoy between the two ports.

(in reply to OldCrowBalthazor)
Post #: 8
RE: Why don't we have a "subsidy" mechanic? - 5/23/2021 1:38:26 AM   
taffjones

Take a look at the Fall Wiess mod by Crispy, He made it for WiE but has transported it to WaW.

Germany can send Mpp's to Italy, there is also a lot more DE decision's to make and a more active Diplomatic dimension to his mod.

Also the scripted units are a lot different depending on what DE's you take. It makes a much different game and may give you some good idea's for any changes you want to mod into your game.

(in reply to Elessar2)
Post #: 9
RE: Why don't we have a "subsidy" mechanic? - 5/23/2021 3:09:25 AM   
Alcibiades73

quote:

ORIGINAL: taffjones

Take a look at the Fall Wiess mod by Crispy, He made it for WiE but has transported it to WaW.

Germany can send Mpp's to Italy, there is also a lot more DE decision's to make and a more active Diplomatic dimension to his mod.

Also the scripted units are a lot different depending on what DE's you take. It makes a much different game and may give you some good idea's for any changes you want to mod into your game.

Thanks; I will take a look!

(in reply to taffjones)
Post #: 10
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Strategic Command Series >> Strategic Command WWII: World at War >> Why don't we have a "subsidy" mechanic? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI