Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Modding Unit Feats, How feasible is it?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Shadow Empire >> Story and Stratagem (S&S) Editor >> Modding Unit Feats, How feasible is it? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Modding Unit Feats, How feasible is it? - 6/17/2021 9:20:22 PM   
Overlord015

Hello everyone!

I haven't had the chance to go over the guide yet, so I'd like to apologize in advance if any of my questions here are already answered.

Concept-wise I'd like to modify the feat system to "convert" it into a doctrine, training, and equipment system instead. In practice I'd be limiting ideological Feats to 1 to 3 per tree. Religious ones would remain untouched, the rest would be produced at a rate of one per turn by buildings that can be unlocked by individual techs or piggybacking off of others. The idea would be to make Feats affect all subunits in a stack instead of the current 1:1, 1:5, 1:10 ratios. As a balancing measure I'd like to introduce trade offs to areas other than the ones buffed. The idea would be to allow players to customize units to suit their tactical and operational needs, and ideally open up new strategic options.

Some examples of the kinds of new Feats I'd replace the old ones with:

Some would be doctrinal concepts to allow you to specialize units such as -
"Airborne Formation"> this would reduce airlift logipoint cost, and lower readiness cost to near zero, the tradeoff would be a 25 to 75% reduction in supply carrying capacity to, in-effect, make units more vulnerable to being cut off from supply lines.

Others would represent certain capabilities enabled by either training or equipment being given to the unit-
"Medical Company"> Same as current medics feat, but affects all subunits now, also speeds unit readiness recovery, but increases the tendency of units to attempt retreat when hit even if able to fight on.

In order to achieve these I feel like I'd need to be able to:
> Modify individual feats and their descriptions
> Modify strategems, their names and descriptions
> See if it's possible to have buildings directly and reliably produce strategems or even allow them to just directly give units produced feats.
> I'd also need to know what're my left and right limits in terms of how feats can affect unit stats.

Thoughts everyone, how feasible is it to do something like this?
Post #: 1
RE: Modding Unit Feats, How feasible is it? - 6/19/2021 12:06:58 PM   
zgrssd

I can add some thoughts to that:
quote:

The idea would be to make Feats affect all subunits in a stack instead of the current 1:1, 1:5, 1:10 ratios.

You could just set it to be 1:100. However be advised that feats can die and integrating it into all units propably increases the chance.

quote:

As a balancing measure I'd like to introduce trade offs to areas other than the ones buffed

The Feat effects are very, very hardcoded right now.
You can check what might be possible in the S&S Editor Manual, page 28-31

quote:

the rest would be produced at a rate of one per turn by buildings that can be unlocked by individual techs or piggybacking off of others

You can limit Startagem Card generation to require a building. I am very uncertain about adding N copies per turn, however.

I would try to turn automatically granted Profile unitsfeats into Stratagems first, then look from there.

(in reply to Overlord015)
Post #: 2
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Shadow Empire >> Story and Stratagem (S&S) Editor >> Modding Unit Feats, How feasible is it? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI