Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Difficulty Setting

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East 2 >> Difficulty Setting Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Difficulty Setting - 7/17/2021 12:17:24 AM   
dereck

I'm playing the Soviets against the Axis AI.

If I have the Axis set to 110 there are Axis units that will literally attack the same Soviet unit up to 10 times until my units route (I'm not talking multiple Axis units but the same Axis unit attacking 10 times in the same turn). It's to the point where just about all my units are routed, unready, depleted bu all under strength. I don't mind having all my units retreat but having everything made useless is frustrating and discouraging.

What would be a better setting to use?

I'm afraid that if I keep up with 110 I will either lose before 1942 or remove the game from my computer altogether.

I'm also afraid that if I put the AI at 100 that it won't be aggressive enough to make the game last until 1945.

What is the setting I should use to make the AI aggressive but not to the point where my units get literally swept off the map?

Thanks

PO2 US Navy (1980-1986);
USS Midway CV-41 (1981-1984)
Whidbey Island, WA (1984-1986)
Naval Reserve (1986-1992)
Post #: 1
RE: Difficulty Setting - 7/17/2021 12:31:20 AM   
76mm

I played one game as Soviet vs Axis AI at 100 and it was ridiculously easy--the Axis never threatened Leningrad, Moscow, or the Crimea, and only took Kiev in '42. The game ended in mid '43 IIRC with an auto-win. I didn't even create any new units till January '42.

So I started a new game on 110 and the Axis was too strong (for me); threatening Moscow, St Pete, and Crimea before the mud in '41. They reduced brand new, full strength armies to a bunch of deplete shells in a single turn. A bit too much for me, would be interested what others recommend.

< Message edited by 76mm -- 7/17/2021 12:32:01 AM >

(in reply to dereck)
Post #: 2
RE: Difficulty Setting - 7/17/2021 12:54:25 AM   
First_Contact_Gamer

My first couple of games were with 100 and I do recommend everyone start there, specifically if they are new to the game or series.

Like many I have been running 110 and I find it is a great challenge, in a good way. It is difficult and really challenges me however does not feel like I am not given opportunities to be more succesfull. It is one thing for a game to feel unbeatable, and another for it to be a really, really good challenge. For me that is at 110.

In particular I feel 110 forces me to think much more strategically and knowingly concede or sacrifice in some areas. I try to look at the map and always find my priorities that I will focus on, much as I believe existed in similar historical settings. As I mostly play as the soviets this is perhaps a luxury I feel because as the Axis it does seem like you need, not perfect, but very, very good execution of your plans. You don't get the same buffer from massive manpower and industry.

Dereck based off your post I am assuming you are playing the 1941 scenario as the Soviets? Not sure what turn you are on however I would certainly say your description is quite "normal" for the first couple months of the campaign. You will find as you continue though that more and more the Axis will not have the supply train established, the combat prep or armor needed to carry on at that same pace.

(in reply to 76mm)
Post #: 3
RE: Difficulty Setting - 7/23/2021 8:33:45 AM   
erikbengtsson

Playing Soviet against German AI, I'd like to give the AI bonuses, but not the free movement that 110 and higher morale gives.

I have set the AI morale to 109. Can I set the other values higher without triggering any extra abilities?

(in reply to First_Contact_Gamer)
Post #: 4
RE: Difficulty Setting - 7/23/2021 11:59:58 AM   
Moebius40

I am playing the 1941 scenario against the Axis set at 110 (challenging). The game is tough but not impossible. On August 10, 1941 (turn 8) the enemy is still trying to conquer Odessa, Kiev, Smolensk and is quite far from Leningrad: a situation not very different from the historical one. In addition, I have not undergone major encirclements and the front appears quite orderly. So I'm not complaining.

It seems to me important to carefully manage the chains of command (avoiding overloading the HQs), the distribution of depots, and the refit of damaged units.

Up to this point I find the game very deep and fun. Until now!

< Message edited by Moebius40 -- 7/23/2021 12:01:30 PM >

(in reply to erikbengtsson)
Post #: 5
RE: Difficulty Setting - 7/23/2021 12:47:57 PM   
AlbertN

If I understood well the AI goes about bruteforce and not major encirclements.
Even in a scenario like Vistula to Berlin, a Soviet AI just crashes the German defences but encircles nothing on their first turn.

So a German AI probably will fail brutally due to trying to crash and cram into the Soviet lines and do an attrition war.
Ontop of their panzers being extremely brittle (at least so I experienced).

(in reply to Moebius40)
Post #: 6
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East 2 >> Difficulty Setting Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI