Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Why are french troops defending with 24 factors?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> World in Flames >> Why are french troops defending with 24 factors? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Why are french troops defending with 24 factors? - 9/5/2021 5:11:33 PM   
juntoalmar

In this attack, although there are only 9 french land factors, the ratio is 33:24? Why is that?

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by juntoalmar -- 9/5/2021 5:12:02 PM >

(my humble blog about wargames, in spanish) http://cabezadepuente.blogspot.com.es/
Post #: 1
RE: Why are french troops defending with 24 factors? - 9/5/2021 5:38:59 PM   
Orm

Because the French units are in mountain terrain. And the German PARA adds the notional defender to their strength.

The 9 defending factors are doubled to 18. The notional strength is 3, and is also doubled to a strength of 6. 18 + 6 is 24.

Edit: Notional basic strength is 1, add 1 for the French homeland, and add another for the city, and you get to the notionals strength of 3.

Edit 2: All defenders have their strength doubled in mountains.

< Message edited by Orm -- 9/5/2021 5:40:41 PM >

Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett

(in reply to juntoalmar)
Post #: 2
RE: Why are french troops defending with 24 factors? - 9/5/2021 5:42:05 PM   
Joseignacio

Maybe I am wrong but, isnt the MIL unsupplied and OOS? Not sure with all of those buttons whose function changes depending of the phase.

If so, it would be less.

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 3
RE: Why are french troops defending with 24 factors? - 9/5/2021 5:43:50 PM   
Orm

quote:

ORIGINAL: Joseignacio

Maybe I am wrong but, isnt the MIL unsupplied and OOS? Not sure with all of those buttons whose function changes depending of the phase.

If so, it would be less.

The are in a French city (Lyons). And as long as France isn't conquered they are in supply.

Edit: The buttons for the French I think are "in combat" for both, and "disorganized" for the MIL.

< Message edited by Orm -- 9/5/2021 5:45:03 PM >

Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett

(in reply to Joseignacio)
Post #: 4
RE: Why are french troops defending with 24 factors? - 9/5/2021 5:49:28 PM   
juntoalmar

I see, thanks! I guess, in this case, it's probably wiser not to send the paratroopers to get a 29:18

(my humble blog about wargames, in spanish) http://cabezadepuente.blogspot.com.es/

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 5
RE: Why are french troops defending with 24 factors? - 9/5/2021 5:52:29 PM   
Orm

quote:

ORIGINAL: juntoalmar

I see, thanks! I guess, in this case, it's probably wiser not to send the paratroopers to get a 29:18

Could be. But this should be a careful consideration depending on the options in play. A PARA could give a +1 bonus. And the notional is always considered disorganized so that gives another +1 combat bonus.

(in reply to juntoalmar)
Post #: 6
RE: Why are french troops defending with 24 factors? - 9/5/2021 7:52:55 PM   
Joseignacio

True. to your answer to me and to your final consideration on whether to include the notional. It is difficult to say.

You have to consider as well that you may have an extra loss if you use a Para, in case you dont take the hex, depending on the result (in some cases if you lose 1 or more units you could kill the Para first).

< Message edited by Joseignacio -- 9/5/2021 7:54:06 PM >

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 7
RE: Why are french troops defending with 24 factors? - 9/6/2021 10:02:08 PM   
Courtenay

With the parachute, German expected loss is 1.178 units, French is 1.263, Germans take Lyon 42.75% of the time.
Without the parachute, German expected loss is 1.55 units, French is 0.717, Germans take Lyon 15.67% of the time.
That first figure assumes that the French use the notional. If they do not use the notional, the German expected loss is 1.187, the French is 1.25, and the Germans take Lyon 42% of the time. In other words, the French should NOT use the notional -- the gain of six defense points is not worth the +1 modifier for using the notional.

So the Germans do better with the Parachute, except that it costs more to rebuild the Parachute, and they will lose it almost three fifths of the time.

(I don't think I would make this attack, unless the Germans are going for a conquest of France, rather than Vichyfication. Trading German units for French at almost 1-1 does not strike me as a winning strategy.)

Edit: Oops. These numbers are wrong. I forgot that Lyons is a city with a factory. I do not know if there is a German HQ in the attack, or if there are any engineers. If there aren't, the numbers change to this:

With the parachute, German expected loss is 1.395 units, French is 0.963, Germans take Lyon 26.25% of the time.
Without the parachute, German expected loss is 1.550 units, French is 0.717, Germans take Lyon 15.67% of the time.
That first figure assumes that the French use the notional. If they do not use the notional, the German expected loss is 1.403, the French is 0.95, and the Germans take Lyon 25.67% of the time. In other words, the French should NOT use the notional -- the gain of six defense points is not worth the +1 modifier for using the notional.

With the city modifiers, this attack is clearly a bad idea.

Reedit: Somehow I had the wrong numbers here in the second line of the edited numbers. Fixed now.

< Message edited by Courtenay -- 9/8/2021 12:52:44 AM >

I thought I knew how to play this game....

(in reply to Joseignacio)
Post #: 8
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> World in Flames >> Why are french troops defending with 24 factors? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI