Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Urban Combat and Distance?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East 2 >> Urban Combat and Distance? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Urban Combat and Distance? - 10/19/2021 5:49:53 PM   
AlbertN

Greetings,

There is something here that looks odd to me. I was experimenting with the latest patch and Urban Combat (but I am not sure if that is of the latest patch), with combat detail 7.

The first things shooting were the Russian defenders with carabines, hand grenades and other heavy rifles...

It's like the combat started right off the bat in a kind of melee situation. Through the tinkering and trying I even got around to use the heavies of the Germans. (like the Karl Mortars)
Even so, the Soviet soldiers got to hurl grenades before a Karl Mortar even got to shoot once.

So where is the preparing artillery barrage in Urban context? The Siege Artilleries are meant to be used for fortified, urban zones; or for Clear Terrain since they'd get to shoot there due to ... combat starting normally at distance?

I feel it's very wrong as it is now - and I understand the desire to have a more vicious close combat should be there, in Urban. But the present way does not sit right.
Post #: 1
RE: Urban Combat and Distance? - 10/19/2021 7:43:22 PM   
Joel Billings

The preliminary long range bombardment phase is not shown in detail. If you start a battle at detail 7, you'll likely see that there are a number of losses that immediately show up before the first hit is recorded in detail. You'll then see the artillery units have engaged at ranges way beyond the first reported direct fire shot. This is true against urban terrain as well. Since only kills are displayed for overall losses, you're missing the damage and disruption done by the artillery.

All understanding comes after the fact.
-- Soren Kierkegaard

(in reply to AlbertN)
Post #: 2
RE: Urban Combat and Distance? - 10/20/2021 12:14:26 AM   
AlbertN

Thanks for the explaination.

I am puzzled at the loss of some of the big calibers too - as they should fire from out of range of enemy artilleries or so too. It does not happen always though!

But indeed when the combat detail starts, there are some casualties already marked. I imputed them as the current ongoing phase having been calculated already and then simply 'narrated' to me via the 'This shoots at that' and 'That shoots at this' process.

(in reply to Joel Billings)
Post #: 3
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East 2 >> Urban Combat and Distance? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI