Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Nach Moskau und zurück - Gunnulf (A) AtAtack (S) GC-No early end

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East 2 >> After Action Reports >> Nach Moskau und zurück - Gunnulf (A) AtAtack (S) GC-No early end Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Nach Moskau und zurück - Gunnulf (A) AtAtack (S) GC-No ... - 10/10/2021 6:33:30 PM   
Gunnulf

Given that we've planted the flag all over the continent, the British are about to get kicked out of Africa and we are about to starve them with our Atlantic blockade now seems like the perfect time to tidy up the map a bit and add the USSR to the Reich. What can possibly go worng?

AtAtack had had a few Axis player wrap things up in 42 when it looked like no hope of autovictory and was looking for someone to go the distance. With a long history of getting beaten up and losing all my carriers as the IJN in WITP and the taken to pieces by QBall in my last Axis AAR in WITW I agreed to step up to a NoEarlyEnd GC. We fully intend to take the fight to the enemy but also to give him the pleasure of revenge as well, and hopefully document the glory and misery here for the (fake) history books. We decided on no motorisation which is fine by me to leave out, TB on, but with AI Air. I think that might have been an accident but either way gets around the possible issue with GA people are chatting about and less to manage.

With that in mind here it goes. Already on T8 as been busy to put pen to paper, but will catch up with a few and leave a little OpSec delay as AtAtack says he will struggle to control his nosiness! :)

T1 AGN

Not too many surprises early on though, a very vanilla opening for AG Nord. Riga and the lower River Daugova crossed, and the combined efforts of 2 Rail teams nearly reaches Kaunas. Panzers Vorwarts!

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Gunnulf -- 10/10/2021 7:56:28 PM >

"Stay low, move fast"
Post #: 1
RE: Nach Moskau und zurück - Gunnulf (A) AtAtack (S) GC... - 10/10/2021 6:36:36 PM   
Gunnulf

T1 AGC

Again pretty vanilla for AGC. Minsk secure, no Pz Corps diverted south, at least not yet, but one will support AGN for a while at least.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Gunnulf -- 10/10/2021 7:23:09 PM >

"Stay low, move fast"

(in reply to Gunnulf)
Post #: 2
RE: Nach Moskau und zurück - Gunnulf (A) AtAtack (S) GC... - 10/10/2021 6:42:11 PM   
Gunnulf

AGS leads itself to a bit more variation that the other two perhaps.
We decide against a Lvov pocket gambit as we don't want to trigger the Southern Front early. We focus on a small pocket in the north of the sector and hammer our way through to Lvov.
We do use some of our early AP to switch 11th Armee to assault HQ mode as they have a lot of assets to manage when they go live in T2.

Attachment (1)

"Stay low, move fast"

(in reply to Gunnulf)
Post #: 3
RE: Nach Moskau und zurück - Gunnulf (A) AtAtack (S) GC... - 10/10/2021 7:03:24 PM   
Gunnulf

T2 - Pedal to the metal

Last first this time as 11th Armee & their Romanian comrades limber up and cross the frontier. 11th Armee also takes the Hungarian Mobile corps under command to give them a bit more mobility.
Meanwhile in 1st Panzer Group finds empty space as apart from a few rearguard forts AtAtack has traded a bit of space for time here, which of course is pretty rational.
17th Armee also becomes an Assault HQ to manage the assets it has, but in the meantime mops up the rear.

Meanwhile in the centre 9th & 4th Armee clear up the Bialstok pockets but also where possible push corps forward to keep up with the Panzer which are approaching the Land Bridge.

And finally in the north Talinn and Pskov are already in our sights...

Attachment (1)

"Stay low, move fast"

(in reply to Gunnulf)
Post #: 4
RE: Nach Moskau und zurück - Gunnulf (A) AtAtack (S) GC... - 10/10/2021 7:12:18 PM   
Gunnulf

T3 - Pursuit

Totenkopf takes Tallinn by coup de main assault. Pskov is outflanked, not pocketed but certainly untenable. The footsloggers set records for marching to try to keep up but the first divisions are not too far behind. Keeping these updates pretty short as not a incredible divergence from most games so far I'm sure!

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Gunnulf -- 10/10/2021 7:23:27 PM >

"Stay low, move fast"

(in reply to Gunnulf)
Post #: 5
RE: Nach Moskau und zurück - Gunnulf (A) AtAtack (S) GC... - 10/10/2021 7:16:23 PM   
Gunnulf

T3 AGC

Vitebsk and another small pocket formed. FBD2 passes through Minsk, beating FBD3 to the glory. Meanwhile FBD 4 nearly reaches Daugapils heading towards Pskov at good pace.

Attachment (1)

"Stay low, move fast"

(in reply to Gunnulf)
Post #: 6
RE: Nach Moskau und zurück - Gunnulf (A) AtAtack (S) GC... - 10/10/2021 7:20:40 PM   
Gunnulf

T3 AGS

Panzer Gruppe 1 races across the empty Ukranian steppes while the railhead pushes to keep as close behind as possible.
11th Armee reaches what appears to be the maginot line. Will we ever get past this? OKH gathers together all the big siege guns and sends them to 11th Armee to prepare...

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Gunnulf -- 10/10/2021 7:21:26 PM >

"Stay low, move fast"

(in reply to Gunnulf)
Post #: 7
RE: Nach Moskau und zurück - Gunnulf (A) AtAtack (S) GC... - 10/10/2021 7:27:23 PM   
Gunnulf

T4 AGN

The minor garrison of Pskov falls as the lead elements of 18th & 16th Armee's catch up. Already a decent line forming to the north but our supply trains are not too far behind either.

Attachment (1)

"Stay low, move fast"

(in reply to Gunnulf)
Post #: 8
RE: Nach Moskau und zurück - Gunnulf (A) AtAtack (S) GC... - 10/10/2021 7:31:26 PM   
Gunnulf

T4 AGC

As Vitebsk falls another pocket forms around Smolensk, not many divisions but all adds up. Still some fuel in the tanks but time for a bit of a slow-down while 9th Armee catches up, and just as importantly the FBD2/

Attachment (1)

"Stay low, move fast"

(in reply to Gunnulf)
Post #: 9
RE: Nach Moskau und zurück - Gunnulf (A) AtAtack (S) GC... - 10/10/2021 7:35:07 PM   
Gunnulf

T4 AGS

Very very little resistance so far so we reach the outer defences of Kiev and possibly some Soviets willing to fight in the steppes south of Cherkassy.
Odessa is cut off buy the Hungarians.

Attachment (1)

"Stay low, move fast"

(in reply to Gunnulf)
Post #: 10
RE: Nach Moskau und zurück - Gunnulf (A) AtAtack (S) GC... - 10/10/2021 7:41:31 PM   
Gunnulf

T5 Odessa

The noose closes on Odessa, though no way yet to know how big a garrison he formed here. The bulk of 11th Armee with siege artillery is forming up leaving just XI Korps to continue the pursuit against the illusive foe.. We do catch 11th Tank Div as a bonus though.

Attachment (1)

"Stay low, move fast"

(in reply to Gunnulf)
Post #: 11
RE: Nach Moskau und zurück - Gunnulf (A) AtAtack (S) GC... - 10/10/2021 7:44:52 PM   
Gunnulf

T5 Kiev

6 divisions pocketed on the steppes, otherwise the first of our infantry reach the banks of the Dnepr and solve the mystery of the missing enemy hordes. 6th Armee catches up to the outskirts of Kiev ready for a fight.

Attachment (1)

"Stay low, move fast"

(in reply to Gunnulf)
Post #: 12
RE: Nach Moskau und zurück - Gunnulf (A) AtAtack (S) GC... - 10/10/2021 7:49:39 PM   
Gunnulf

T5 Smolensk

4 divisions go in the bag when Smolensk falls to 9th Armee. Meanwhile 3 PanzerArmee pockets the Soviet 10th Armee HQ and a Tank Div while skirmishing east against relatively light opposition.
FBD2 nearly at Vitebsk with the much needed schnapps railwagons not far behind. Thirty work marching in this summer heat!

Attachment (1)

"Stay low, move fast"

(in reply to Gunnulf)
Post #: 13
RE: Nach Moskau und zurück - Gunnulf (A) AtAtack (S) GC... - 10/10/2021 7:53:53 PM   
Gunnulf

T5 Pskov

36 Motorised got itself in a bit of a pickle when a bold blocking move got them in bother but Totenkopf rode to the rescue.
Otherwise the railhead reaches Pskov and the grind north through the swamps and forests begins in earnest.

Attachment (1)

"Stay low, move fast"

(in reply to Gunnulf)
Post #: 14
RE: Nach Moskau und zurück - Gunnulf (A) AtAtack (S) GC... - 10/10/2021 9:31:23 PM   
loki100

nice to see.

How are you finding the AI-assist for MP, probably the only game that has reported using it?

(in reply to Gunnulf)
Post #: 15
RE: Nach Moskau und zurück - Gunnulf (A) AtAtack (S) GC... - 10/10/2021 10:04:54 PM   
Gunnulf

It's not terrible, but it's definately sub-optimal. 1st few turns I don't think it makes too much difference with the early airfield bombing and what ground support is doable given how far the air bases are from the leading elements. Naval patrols I could not persuade it to do which could cause dramas if Odessa is strongly held. As the game progesses I'll focus on a few points but so far air losses seem more or less in line with any game, and ground support seems OK. We both have the same air-brain I guess to that levels the playing field at least and prevents exploits. Not that I know any anyway!

Main thing I want to achieve is see the late game GC in MP. I'm presuming AtAtack has a good Soviet strategy that has convinced a few Axis to give up in 42 so far so I've no illusions of reaching the caspian sea and fully expect to be on the back foot later...

< Message edited by Gunnulf -- 10/10/2021 10:21:40 PM >

"Stay low, move fast"

(in reply to loki100)
Post #: 16
RE: Nach Moskau und zurück - Gunnulf (A) AtAtack (S) GC... - 10/10/2021 11:29:03 PM   
HardLuckYetAgain

Awesome seeing you again Gunnulf :) I wish you the best in your game!

Good Luck Sir!

(in reply to Gunnulf)
Post #: 17
RE: Nach Moskau und zurück - Gunnulf (A) AtAtack (S) GC... - 10/11/2021 12:39:04 PM   
loki100

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gunnulf

It's not terrible, but it's definately sub-optimal. 1st few turns I don't think it makes too much difference with the early airfield bombing and what ground support is doable given how far the air bases are from the leading elements. Naval patrols I could not persuade it to do which could cause dramas if Odessa is strongly held. As the game progesses ...

maybe a daft question but did you select Odessa as the target? The UI is laid out so you need to scroll down through the list of possible ports (its organised by sea area)

(in reply to Gunnulf)
Post #: 18
RE: Nach Moskau und zurück - Gunnulf (A) AtAtack (S) GC... - 10/11/2021 7:31:49 PM   
Gunnulf

Cheers HLYA, I'll need more than luck where I'm going...! :)

The problem with Auto Nav Patrol is its kinda either under or overkill and not very focused. For example here is suppression of Kuressaare by the Baltic Squadrons & KG1 in support. Mostly gets the +2 needed but not everywhere so certainly (if WITW is anything to go by) could lose a ship to interdiction, whereas there are lots of patrols going where they are not needed. Not the end of the world but I feel need to commit a bit more to make sure...

Attachment (1)

"Stay low, move fast"

(in reply to loki100)
Post #: 19
RE: Nach Moskau und zurück - Gunnulf (A) AtAtack (S) GC... - 10/12/2021 7:01:32 AM   
Gunnulf

T6 Odessa

Only 20k defending Odessa so it falls at the first attempt, I expect the 1st resistance to be at Kherson instead. It does seem like defending Odessa in H2H never happens, for probably good reason. I do wonder what it would take to make it work for anything close to historical, unless the Axis do just commit the Romanians.

Attachment (1)

"Stay low, move fast"

(in reply to Gunnulf)
Post #: 20
RE: Nach Moskau und zurück - Gunnulf (A) AtAtack (S) GC... - 10/12/2021 7:23:22 AM   
Gunnulf

T6 Kiev

Some minor pockets on the steppes, otherwise forming up to cross the Dniepr next week.

Attachment (1)

"Stay low, move fast"

(in reply to Gunnulf)
Post #: 21
RE: Nach Moskau und zurück - Gunnulf (A) AtAtack (S) GC... - 10/12/2021 7:27:07 AM   
Gunnulf

T6 Smolensk

[Insert obligatory Axis grumble about July rain]

It always happens at least once, not a drama. Needed a relatively slow consolidation week anyway, clearing out the small pockets and shifting the front a few easy miles.

Attachment (1)

"Stay low, move fast"

(in reply to Gunnulf)
Post #: 22
RE: Nach Moskau und zurück - Gunnulf (A) AtAtack (S) GC... - 10/12/2021 7:32:07 AM   
Gunnulf

T6 Pskov

Can't afford to slow down much here though and the railhead is right up with us anyway so grinding on to try to create some attrition and momentum. Letting the Soviets dig in here to level 2 would be more painful for sure.

The Narva line is already stacking up and I suspect he is committing reserves to the Leningrad theatre significantly more than the others. But maybe it always feels that way...

Attachment (1)

"Stay low, move fast"

(in reply to Gunnulf)
Post #: 23
RE: Nach Moskau und zurück - Gunnulf (A) AtAtack (S) GC... - 10/12/2021 3:51:32 PM   
HardLuckYetAgain

quote:

T6 Pskov

Can't afford to slow down much here though and the railhead is right up with us anyway so grinding on to try to create some attrition and momentum. Letting the Soviets dig in here to level 2 would be more painful for sure.

The Narva line is already stacking up and I suspect he is committing reserves to the Leningrad theatre significantly more than the others. But maybe it always feels that way...

To get to Level 2 fort can't be in an Assualt HQ. Thus if this front is an Assualt HQ they won't dig beyond level 1. I have seen this in my games and take advantage of only level 1 forts. Soviets should have non-assualt HQ's digging in the hex in my opinion which the Soviets will learn soon enough ;-) Thus I bet those entrenchments won't go past level 1.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Gunnulf)
Post #: 24
RE: Nach Moskau und zurück - Gunnulf (A) AtAtack (S) GC... - 10/12/2021 3:58:06 PM   
HardLuckYetAgain

If you hover over the Soviet units you should see no more than, "Fort 1 10%. If the fort is over 10% the unit is in a non-Assualt HQ and will go to level 2 fort with time :) That is how you can tell. Check out the front line and let us readers know.

(in reply to HardLuckYetAgain)
Post #: 25
RE: Nach Moskau und zurück - Gunnulf (A) AtAtack (S) GC... - 10/12/2021 4:07:23 PM   
HardLuckYetAgain

Curious and it may not be the case. But it looks like you attacked the hex with the orange arrow pointing to it but was unable to occupy the hex, correct? My recommendation if that is the case is to break down the Germans into regiments and not attack with all of them only the amount of what you think is needed for the attack. That way you can occupy the hex you just fought so hard for.

The Germans are all about finesse & learning how much to attack with when and where is key. Why attack a hex with a division when two German Regiments will work? You are doing very well so far Gunnulf, I like the progress :)

Attachment (1)

Post #: 26
RE: Nach Moskau und zurück - Gunnulf (A) AtAtack (S) GC... - 10/12/2021 4:44:14 PM   
Gunnulf

It's good advice of course, I think from memory I had just enough MP to put in a division attack at the end of its reach, but I wasn't sure a regiment would have enough left to get into that hex after so I decided to give it a solid whack and cause as many casualties as possible whenever possible :) If he came back wanting more in an unfortified hex next turn then all the better. Plus, and maybe I'm wrong on this though, given that I owned the hex to start with, and finish not in contact, it's marginally better for this units CPP recovery?

"Stay low, move fast"

Post #: 27
RE: Nach Moskau und zurück - Gunnulf (A) AtAtack (S) GC... - 10/12/2021 4:58:45 PM   
loki100

quote:

It's good advice of course, I think from memory I had just enough MP to put in a division attack at the end of its reach, but I wasn't sure a regiment would have enough left to get into that hex after so I decided to give it a solid whack and cause as many casualties as possible whenever possible :) If he came back wanting more in an unfortified hex next turn then all the better. Plus, and maybe I'm wrong on this though, given that I owned the hex to start with, and finish not in contact, it's marginally better for this units CPP recovery?

yes, I've started to do a few attacks to clear surrounding hexes to generate the CPP bonus (but be careful to check you owned the hex you occup at the start of the turn).

really it depends on how many SMP you have left. One set up is no move, just attack so lets say your CPP dips from 80 to 40 due to the attack. Sit and get the full bonus (ie assault HQ and no adjacency), you'll get 24 CPP back, so the net cost is around 15.

I've found this can set the basis for a rolling offensive with either a strong German infantry army or a Soviet front.

(in reply to Gunnulf)
Post #: 28
RE: Nach Moskau und zurück - Gunnulf (A) AtAtack (S) GC... - 10/12/2021 11:14:47 PM   
Zovs

Very nice AAR thank you.

Beta Tester for:
Flashpoint Campaigns: Sudden Storm
War in the East 1 & 2
WarPlan & WarPlan Pacific
Valor & Victory
DG CWIE 2
SPWW2 & SPMBT scenario creator

(in reply to loki100)
Post #: 29
RE: Nach Moskau und zurück - Gunnulf (A) AtAtack (S) GC... - 10/15/2021 11:35:13 AM   
Gunnulf

T7 AGN

The grind north continues, slowly taking chunks out of the front line defenders. The railhead is well advanced to support this rather than setting up a super-depot at Pskov, time will tell which choice was better, but we are making ok progress. Already getting a feeling that Stavka has put particular attention on sending initial reserves and the Narva line is particularly thick with units. I'm sure we'll get through but not a 1 week job for sure. If he's strong here he must be weak somewhere else (although it never feels like the Red Army is short anywhere from now on of course! Certainly a lot of air support up here so we bring in a 2nd JG to counter this and make sure we don't burn out of fighters.

Attachment (1)

"Stay low, move fast"

(in reply to Zovs)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East 2 >> After Action Reports >> Nach Moskau und zurück - Gunnulf (A) AtAtack (S) GC-No early end Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI