Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Small Fleet Scenarios

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> WarPlan >> Small Fleet Scenarios Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Small Fleet Scenarios - 12/15/2021 12:53:37 AM   
canuckgamer

I see that WP has a 1939 Small Fleet scenario and WPP has a 1941 one. In WP the maximum size of a fleet is 3 and in WPP 6. In WPP it reads:
"If this scenario proves to be a better solution to hex naval combat it might become standard for all scenarios."

Even if it becomes "standard" I hope that the existing naval limits will still be an available option No indication of how many CVs can be in a fleet in the Small Fleet scenarios.

I assume that this was tested while in beta. Using WP as an example, a limit of 1 CV in a fleet means it would have two surface ships screening. Wouldn't it then be possible to attack this fleet multiple times with 3 group fleets making the CV more vulnerable? Sequencing attacks reminds me of what you do in the Strategic Command series. Smaller fleets would also mean less AA against land and naval air attacks. I'm curious if anyone tried this tactic in the tests.

Is it realistic to have a CV accompanied by only a maximum of 2 surface ships? If WPP allows a max of two CVs in a fleet that would mean 4 screening surface ships. Historically they had large numbers of surface ships screening the CVs.

Finally, what was the issue that prompted the addition of the small fleet scenarios?
Post #: 1
RE: Small Fleet Scenarios - 12/15/2021 11:26:59 AM   
AlvaroSousa

Small fleet still allows for 6 CVs. The maximum naval groups is 6.

By "standard" it is meant that this is the preferred model that plays best with the games. It doesn't mean I am nixing already made scenarios.

Read page 6 about the scales of the game which includes naval groups.

Why this scenario? I invest time in playing my games with others via mutliplayer to see what customers are posting about. It lets me see if their concerns are real or simply a lack of skills. It let's me evaluate everything in an objective way for the best course of action. When I play I usually take an opposite strategy of my opponent, and usually a different one each game, to test out various game play mechanics. In WPP I noticed there was a gimmick players could do with fleet manipulation to protect CVs from attacks at an unrealistic level. I also noticed the casualties in surface combat were enormous. I also noticed retreating from naval combat was not as well done as it should be. So the small fleet scenario allows for less variance, greater action, and a slower pace of casualties for a longer game.

It was tested in Beta and they liked it. It made the naval battles more realistic while increasing depth without complexity.

So I made one for WPE blind. I think it will have the same effect there.

I did research on naval structure for Taskforces. The Task Unit is the group level the small scenario is set at.

Creator Kraken Studios
- WarPlan
- WarPlan Pacific

Designer Strategic Command
- Brute Force (mod) SC2
- Assault on Communism SC2
- Assault on Democracy SC2
- Map Image Importer SC3

(in reply to canuckgamer)
Post #: 2
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> WarPlan >> Small Fleet Scenarios Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI