Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Global Conflict 1988 (USA)

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> The Operational Art of War IV >> Global Conflict 1988 (USA) Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Global Conflict 1988 (USA) - 12/30/2021 12:08:12 PM   
erik69

Hi,
I've been playing the Global Conflict 1988 (USA) scenario with TAOW IV. Problem is, even though I'm currently playing the 6th turn, the USA faction (the one I'm playing against the computer lead USSR faction) doesn't seem to have any mech, armored, or infantry unit to fight the reds. I keep on having only antiaircraft and special units at my disposal. Is it normal?!
Post #: 1
RE: Global Conflict 1988 (USA) - 12/30/2021 1:13:16 PM   
cathar1244

The scenario appears to deploy the US Army Europe units once the Soviets attack (this is tied to Event #172).

I looked only briefly, but event 172 may not be configured correctly. It looks like this is a fairly old scenario that has been brought forward through a couple of TOAW versions, and events may no longer be working as intended.

Cheers

(in reply to erik69)
Post #: 2
RE: Global Conflict 1988 (USA) - 12/30/2021 1:48:13 PM   
LOK32MK

quote:

I looked only briefly, but event 172 may not be configured correctly. It looks like this is a fairly old scenario that has been brought forward through a couple of TOAW versions, and events may no longer be working as intended.

Erik69 can you please send me the sce file you are using so I can check?
Also, in case you are interested I have made a new TOAW IV version of the scenario. I am doing the last few checks and should be done next week. I will post it when it's ready.

(in reply to cathar1244)
Post #: 3
RE: Global Conflict 1988 (USA) - 12/30/2021 9:45:29 PM   
erik69

Thanks for looking into that, but as the new version is coming out next week I might as well just wait for it. Anyway, find attached the sce file.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to LOK32MK)
Post #: 4
RE: Global Conflict 1988 (USA) - 12/31/2021 5:29:40 AM   
cathar1244

Just as an aside, the concept of "mobilization" for U.S. units in Europe is IMO not a good representation of their status. Mobilization usually entails activating reservists and so on. The units in Europe would be ready to go, at least with 80% strength while people on leave were rounded up. Designer LOK32MK might wish to look at that aspect of the scenario.

Cheers

(in reply to erik69)
Post #: 5
RE: Global Conflict 1988 (USA) - 12/31/2021 2:49:14 PM   
LOK32MK

Erik,
Thank you for sending the file. I took a quick look and here is what I found.
There are basically two ways to deploy/activate the NATO (European units) and the US CONUS, POMCUS and US Army Europe units.

First Method:
Event 172: USSR attacks NATO - the Warsaw Pact player disbands the TO ATTACK NATO trigger unit.
That event triggers several subsequent events with varying Delays (ranging from 0 to 7 and beyond) that start the deployment of NATO (European units) as well as the US CONUS, POMCUS and US Army Europe units.
The US Army Europe units are deployed by event 179 (the Delay is set to zero).
The NATO European units are deployed by event 174 (the Delay is set to zero).
US CONUS, POMCUSand NATO reserves are deployed by subsequent events with varying delays.

Second Method:
The NATO player disbands the TO MOBILZE NATO-US and TO MOBILZE CONUS trigger units (events 197 and 194) respectively.
These events trigger the same sequence of events as above for the US CONUS, POMCUS and NATO reserves units.

Re Cathar's comment about mobilization. Perhaps a bad choice of words on my part. But it seemed to be clear to the players, and it fit within the TOAW string length requirements for unit/formation names. What would be clearer description for all units in the scenario? (Not just US and NATO?)

The scenario is old and really outdated (from TOAW II and CoW days). I have made newer versions for TOAW III but I think we should move to the new versions for TOAW IV. I will let you know when it's ready.

(in reply to cathar1244)
Post #: 6
RE: Global Conflict 1988 (USA) - 12/31/2021 4:05:05 PM   
erik69

Thanks!

(in reply to LOK32MK)
Post #: 7
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> The Operational Art of War IV >> Global Conflict 1988 (USA) Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI