Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Combat advisor problem

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Decisive Battles: Korsun Pocket >> Combat advisor problem Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Combat advisor problem - 9/16/2003 9:22:18 AM   
Hurkyl

Hi everyone,

I'm new to this game (and hex wargames in general) and I've just finished going through all the tutorials. I think I've grasped the essential stuff with a lot of details still being fuzzy.

I went for the KP scenario but after seeing the scale of it I changed for the smaller (but still big for a newbie) 1st Ukr Front.

So far I really like the game and think it's very well done, especially for helping newbie like myself to get into the "circle" of hex based wargames. I'm looking forward to play against a human player as soon as my knowledge of the game will be strong enough.

Untill then, there's something I'd like to understand. In the tutorials the combat advisor was always displaying the correct odds but now that I'm playing the scenario it doesn't seem to be accurate. Sometimes it's impossible to get the displayed odds with the units available and sometimes it shows me more unit than needed to get the odds

There is probably something I'm missing. Your help will be highly appreciated. :)
Post #: 1
- 9/16/2003 9:43:25 AM   
Fred98

The Combat Advisor is fabulous for uwe veteran wargamers. Previously all the calculations were done by hand.

But I have discovered that the Combat Advisor is not perfect.

It is possible to INCREASE the odds, by using forced march and moving a unit adjacent to the combat. That unit cannot participate in the combat but he can eliminate the rule that says that if adjacent enemy units, not involved in the combat, have more steps than the friendly units in the same hex, then the shift does not apply.

It is possible to have LOWER odds if you make an error. For example, if you attack a hex from 3 sides you get shifts.

If you are attacking with 3 units it is possible that you move each unit to the wrong hex and as a result you only attack from 2 hexes and therefore you do not get the shift and the odds are lower.
-

(in reply to Hurkyl)
Post #: 2
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Decisive Battles: Korsun Pocket >> Combat advisor problem Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI