Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

HQ units - expert needed ...

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East 2 >> The War Room >> HQ units - expert needed ... Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
HQ units - expert needed ... - 12/31/2021 12:14:41 AM   
OberstVonWitz

About 10% of the map seem to be HQ units. Corps units can have 4 HQ.

As has been stated both historically and in the game "rail supply makes the world go boom" and a large portion of this are allocating HQ units . Thus it appears that one must pull a high level HQ from more important command control to facilitate small level rail repair ( non manually controlled). Seriously.

Despite such allocation manually controlled rail units often do not "fix" tracks, however on other occasions they do. I will be sending a short video to show this.....

Any further need for making a RAPID rail; network comes with Theatre boxes.

TB: Must be stationary 1 turn/
Not in ZOC /
be on a rail hex connected to the wider rail net/
more than 4 hexes from nearest enemy/ have sufficient SMTP to load etc

Although I have not used it yet this is the only way , or at least fastest, to REPAIR units.

Second is the approach to Ground Support which- you guessed it- is directly attached/related to HQ.

Unfortrunatly the allocation that is sometimes necessary is not able to be supplied as it is not on the list of the HQ's .

Another is just "which" HQ has not to be moved to allow maximum support as in some cases if the HQ is moved the extra support is not available?

I am sure there are at least 3 more issues that someone must have mastered to get this game (re: HQ) to run as it was intended (perhaps) it is with this in mind that I ask someone to PLEASE explain these issues that literally determine this game.

Thank you

Post #: 1
RE: HQ units - expert needed ... - 12/31/2021 1:11:01 AM   
thedoctorking

I'm anything but an expert, but I will try to answer some of your questions.

If I understand correctly, question one is how to repair rail lines? You have a special type of rail repair HQ, called an FBD if you are the Axis and NKPS if you are the Soviets. These units repair rail lines by moving into the first broken hex (starting from a connected rail line) and then clicking on the repair button on the unit detail pane. Repairing costs one movement point (typically, sometimes more if you are low on supply, in difficult terrain, or have fewer than the optimal number of rail repair units attached to the HQ because of combat damage). Then you move on into the next hex, etc. Rail repair units attached directly to other HQ's will repair rail hexes more or less at random within the command range of their HQ, with a bigger range for higher-level HQ's. So if you leave your rail repair brigades/regiments attached to your supreme HQ, they will just go anywhere on the map looking for rail hexes to repair, again starting from a connected rail hex. They will prefer to work on the rail lines closest to your national supply source, so for the Axis, they start from the Soviet border and work east. To focus on a particular region, assign rail repair units to a corps or army HQ and then they will work in the vicinity of that corps or army. But they will still start from the area closest to your national supply source, so you will end up repairing a lot of rail hexes you probably don't care much about.

Moving to and from theater boxes is the way you position your forces in other parts of your empire than the front where you are fighting the fascist invaders/communist swine. Moving units to a theater box requires them to be a certain distance - 8 hexes for the Soviets, don't remember for the Axis - from the nearest enemy unit. You open up the unit detail window and there is a "transfer unit" command in the upper right hand corner, select it and you will have the choice of which box you want to send the unit to and how long it will take to get there. If you open the theater box display, you can right-click on units in there and - if you are using player control of theater boxes - you can move units from those boxes to the map or other boxes. The Reserve boxes are where you send units that have been beaten up in combat so they can get replacements, recover morale, gain experience up to your national morale, and generally get ready to get the s&*t kicked out of them again. You can also use the Commander's Report window to select units in your Strategic Reserve or other theater boxes and transfer them, though in this case the only option is to transfer to or from the Strategic Reserve.

Ground Support missions are assigned to air components during the Air Operations phase. You can assign air units to any HQ and if I understand correctly they will fly GS missions in support of combats involving that HQ's units or those of any HQ subordinate to it (so if you have an air group assigned to an Axis Army or Soviet Front, it will support all that Army's Corps or Front's Armies). So normally for the Soviets you assign each Air Army/Air Command to support its associated Front. You may want to assign an air army to support a particularly ground Army if it will be conducting a crucial attack or defending a crucial position, but this is unusual for the Soviets. For the Axis, on the other hand, it is quite common to assign air fleets to support specific armies, particularly the Panzer Gruppe/Armies when you are conducting offensive operations. Another thing to think about is that ground support is often pretty expensive in planes, so you might only want to have it turned on when you really need it. If you have GS turned off, your fighters will still come up to defend anybody in the vicinity on interception missions, which aren't governed by the air mission assignment process. The only way to prevent your fighters from coming out to fight is to have them based too far from the front or putting them on Rest.

(in reply to OberstVonWitz)
Post #: 2
RE: HQ units - expert needed ... - 12/31/2021 6:25:36 AM   
Zovs

Currently on I am on turn 4 (13 July 1941) and the CR shows:

1,972 units, of those 689 are SU, leaving 1,283 units, of these there are 465 off map units (TB) leaving 818 units. Of these there are 229 frozen units so ignoring those that leaves 758 units. Of those there are 449 Air Base units leaving 309 units. So that leaves a total of 309 units on the map on turn 4. There is currently (on turn 4) 182 HQs, however if we eliminate all the HQs in the TB that leaves a total of 103 HQs. Of which 12 or Air HQs leaving us just 97 HQs (this includes 5 Construction or FBD or Rail Repair units.

My math shows 31%. So based on that about 31% of the units are HQ units. A Corps HQ can actually have 5 divisions attached. Each division is 2 CP and each Corps can have up to 10 CP assigned.

That was all off your first sentence.

I have no idea what your second sentence means.

Your third sentence is false. Manually controlled FBD construction HQ (rail repair units) do fix broken rail hexes. You have to manually move the FBD to the broken rail hex and the click the repair button. As long as the FBD has enough MP and RRC it can repair the broken rail. So your claim is incorrect and false.

Your fourth sentence makes no sense and is not based on any game reality. TB have nothing to do with broken rail hexes.

Your fifth, sixth, seventh and eighth sentences make no sense and have nothing to do with repair.

Your ninth sentence is only semi correct. SU can be (and should be for the most part) assigned to a Corps HQ, but some SU can and should be assigned to a division.

Your tenth sentence is incorrect and also does not make any sense.

Your eleventh sentence does not make any sense either.

I don't think your native language is English and I also don't think you are understanding the game correctly. I suggest you find an online translator and using your native language translate it to English so we can understand your questions. My next suggestion is to actually read the manual many of your questions can be answered in the manual.

Beta Tester for:
Flashpoint Campaigns: Sudden Storm
War in the East 1 & 2
WarPlan & WarPlan Pacific
Valor & Victory
DG CWIE 2
SPWW2 & SPMBT scenario creator

(in reply to thedoctorking)
Post #: 3
RE: HQ units - expert needed ... - 12/31/2021 8:15:14 AM   
OberstVonWitz

Wish to congratulate anyone who has mastered this game in 5 weeks.

Post #: 4
RE: HQ units - expert needed ... - 12/31/2021 9:23:08 AM   
Speedysteve

Hi Oberst. To be honest I don't understand what many of your questions or points make/mean. I don't know if you're native language is English and if not I apologise if I mis-understand but several of your comments just don't make sense or are factually incorrect.

Yes it's a complex game and it makes no claims against that but please try to write clearly and try not to make incorrect claims without prior knowledge/reading of the manual.

Interesting agenda you may have here.

WitE 2 Tester
WitE Tester
BTR/BoB Tester

Post #: 5
RE: HQ units - expert needed ... - 12/31/2021 9:40:10 AM   
loki100

Hi Pelton, I've broken up your post to answer the main points

quote:

ORIGINAL: OberstVonWitz

About 10% of the map seem to be HQ units. Corps units can have 4 HQ.

yes there are a lot of HQs (you know this from WiTE1), no idea what "Corps units can have 4 HQ" meams

quote:

As has been stated both historically and in the game "rail supply makes the world go boom" and a large portion of this are allocating HQ units . Thus it appears that one must pull a high level HQ from more important command control to facilitate small level rail repair ( non manually controlled). Seriously.

nope, not true. You can micro-manage or not, in the end I'm not convinced there is much gain by hooking the auto repair units at the corps level

quote:

Despite such allocation manually controlled rail units often do not "fix" tracks, however on other occasions they do. I will be sending a short video to show this.....

yes they do, you now have 5 threads complaining about this non-problem and a very detailed response from Zovs setting out exactly how to do it - plus of course the step by step information in the manual

quote:

Any further need for making a RAPID rail; network comes with Theatre boxes.

TB: Must be stationary 1 turn
Not in ZOC
be on a rail hex connected to the wider rail net/
more than 4 hexes from nearest enemy/ have sufficient SMTP to load etc

Although I have not used it yet this is the only way , or at least fastest, to REPAIR units.

This is, I'm afraid, rubbish. Theatre Boxes - by definition - don't have a rail repair routine

of course the Theatre Boxes are stationary - in the game's time frame very little of continental Europe actually moved

quote:

Second is the approach to Ground Support which- you guessed it- is directly attached/related to HQ.

yes, as in the manual. You hook GS to command level of your choice, as the Axis I tend to use Army or Army Group but that fits my chosen playstyle

quote:

Unfortrunatly the allocation that is sometimes necessary is not able to be supplied as it is not on the list of the HQ's .

air supply comes from airbase supply, priority is set by the Air HQ, but defaults to #3 which is invariably fine. Nothing to do with ground HQs.

quote:

Another is just "which" HQ has not to be moved to allow maximum support as in some cases if the HQ is moved the extra support is not available?

simply not true

quote:

I am sure there are at least 3 more issues that someone must have mastered to get this game (re: HQ) to run as it was intended (perhaps) it is with this in mind that I ask someone to PLEASE explain these issues that literally determine this game.

quote:

Wish to congratulate anyone who has mastered this game in 5 weeks.

I doubt anyone would make this claim. I've been testing since 2016 when it was probably WiTW goes east in terms of mechanics. All the developments from that I've been lucky enough to see come in step by step.

I still mis-understand things, get things wrong and make no claims as to the quality of my game play.

Looking back at your 'RoadWarrior' AARs, you were doing fine. Clearly getting tripped up a little by trying to play this as if it was WiTE1 with a few different rules - and the patches at that stage were a problem for axis players - but overall you had your usual mastery of the game

< Message edited by loki100 -- 12/31/2021 10:07:57 AM >

Post #: 6
RE: HQ units - expert needed ... - 1/3/2022 4:17:31 PM   
Yogol

People seem to be very dismissive of this post. Probably due to the language barrier. Here my take on things.

>> Corps units can have 4 HQ

Indeed, a unit that is assigned to a corps HQ can have four HQs: the Corps HQ, an Army HQ, an Army Group HQ and OKH.

>> Thus it appears that one must pull a high level HQ from more important command
>> control to facilitate small level rail repair ( non manually controlled).

Indeed, there is no way to control the 7 R.A.D. units manually.

Because of this, I rearrange the entire army at the start of the game in such a way that I have 7 HQs left.
I then assign a R.A.D. unit to each of those 7 HQs.
During the game, I move those 7 HQs to within 5 hexes of where a railroad must be repaired.

This can be seen as bad game design. Those 7 R.A.D. units could also be made to be manually controlled repair units (that can repair one single hex per turn, for example).

And, indeed, those 7 R.A.D units do not repair anything if their HQ is not within 5 hexes of a railroad in need of repair. And thus, without lots of micro-management, you are losing rail-repair capacity.

>> Any further need for making a RAPID rail; network comes with Theatre boxes.

There are indeed two R.A.D.s units in the Theatre Boxes.

Only if you take advanced control over the TBs, can you move them to the map, assign them to a HQ and then use them like you use the other 7 R.A.Ds.

>> Unfortrunatly the allocation that is sometimes necessary is not able to be
>> supplied as it is not on the list of the HQ's.

Indeed, you can not order the supply planes to supply a certain ground HQ and it's troops.

You have to do it manually, unfortunately.

Hope this helps!

< Message edited by Yogol -- 1/3/2022 4:23:02 PM >

(in reply to loki100)
Post #: 7
RE: HQ units - expert needed ... - 1/4/2022 8:27:22 AM   
loki100

quote:

ORIGINAL: Yogol

People seem to be very dismissive of this post. Probably due to the language barrier.

actually the dismissive bit is due to the nature of the poster ... the 'language barrier' is him playing silly games

(in reply to Yogol)
Post #: 8
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East 2 >> The War Room >> HQ units - expert needed ... Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI