Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Amphibious TF as Supply Source

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Amphibious TF as Supply Source Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Amphibious TF as Supply Source - 1/18/2022 7:05:32 PM   
rmeckman

I’m in the early stages of the full campaign as the Allies and have mainly used amphibious task forces to drop troops and supplies off at small friendly ports and beach (green dot) hexes. However, I’ve also wondered whether an amphibious TF can be used to supply LCUs cut off from friendly base supplies. WitW places a temporary port in the destination hex of an amphibious TF, but WitP AE doesn’t appear to have anything similar. The most relevant thread I’ve found so far is

https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2601194

which indicates that supply is only offloaded over-the-beach from an amphibious TF to fulfill the supply needs of LCUs in the same hex as the TF. Suppose I create a supplies-only amphibious TF and send it to a non-port coastal hex that currently has no friendly LCUs present. Will the supplies will just sit on the ships until a friendly LCU does enter the hex? In other words, must cut-off LCUs move to the TF hex to get supplied rather than the supplies moving over land (by trucks or whatever) from the TF to the LCUs?
Post #: 1
RE: Amphibious TF as Supply Source - 1/18/2022 7:26:24 PM   
KenchiSulla

quote:

ORIGINAL: rmeckman

Suppose I create a supplies-only amphibious TF and send it to a non-port coastal hex that currently has no friendly LCUs present. Will the supplies will just sit on the ships until a friendly LCU does enter the hex? In other words, must cut-off LCUs move to the TF hex to get supplied rather than the supplies moving over land (by trucks or whatever) from the TF to the LCUs?

You cannot unload supply @ a non-base hex with no LCU as far as I know. If you would set your TF to retire it would move to the target hex, do nothing and then return. If you set it to remain, it would remain. There is no such thing as depot or supply trucks (WitE, WitW, WitE2)

You could land troops at a nonbase hex and supply would also get unloaded. This has happened to the most of us in error (forgetting to set "do not unload" and landing troops 1 or 2 hexes from the actual objective -facepalm-)

AKA Cannonfodder

"It happened, therefore it can happen again: this is the core of what we have to say. It can happen, and it can happen everywhere.”
¯ Primo Levi, writer, holocaust survivor

(in reply to rmeckman)
Post #: 2
RE: Amphibious TF as Supply Source - 1/18/2022 7:34:35 PM   
Yaab

I swear I cannot find my own threads anymore (sadly the picture got deleted)

https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=4207559&mpage=1&key=yaab%2Csupplies%2Caustralia�

EDIT: Added the missing picture in the thread.

< Message edited by Yaab -- 1/18/2022 7:45:18 PM >

(in reply to KenchiSulla)
Post #: 3
RE: Amphibious TF as Supply Source - 1/18/2022 8:05:43 PM   
RangerJoe

You can unload in a non-base hex. Just ask Lowpe what Stalin's reaction was to some rotten sushi dumped on the Siberian coast in 1942 . . .

Seek peace but keep your gun handy.

I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are missing!

“Illegitemus non carborundum est (“Don’t let the bastards grind you down”).”
― Julia Child

(in reply to Yaab)
Post #: 4
RE: Amphibious TF as Supply Source - 1/19/2022 10:11:40 AM   
Ian R

Why don't you sandbox it: set up an amph TF from Anchorage, send it to dump its load on some non base hex on the Alaska coast, and see if it works?

"I am Alfred"

(in reply to RangerJoe)
Post #: 5
RE: Amphibious TF as Supply Source - 1/19/2022 1:22:44 PM   
RangerJoe

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ian R

Why don't you sandbox it: set up an amph TF from Anchorage, send it to dump its load on some non base hex on the Alaska coast, and see if it works?

Well, with the Tokyo Express you can drop units and supplies in a non-base hex . . .

― Julia Child

(in reply to Ian R)
Post #: 6
RE: Amphibious TF as Supply Source - 1/19/2022 1:55:23 PM   
Ian R

I was thinking rmeckman could put the TF on 'remain on station' and if see if it unloads the supplies by checking its load. That gives the first part of the answer. The second part is a bit harder. There is no "location" - I am deliberately using the nomenclature from the scenario database, which takes up both bases and ground units - which can act as a receptacle for any unload, so maybe such supplies as unload (if any) are just thrown away.

IME, the answer is 'yes, move the LCU to the offload hex', but it's worth rmeckman sand-boxing it to see what happens.

"I am Alfred"

(in reply to RangerJoe)
Post #: 7
RE: Amphibious TF as Supply Source - 1/19/2022 2:40:44 PM   
RangerJoe

quote:

I was thinking rmeckman could put the TF on 'remain on station' and if see if it unloads the supplies by checking its load. That gives the first part of the answer. The second part is a bit harder. There is no "location" - I am deliberately using the nomenclature from the scenario database, which takes up both bases and ground units - which can act as a receptacle for any unload, so maybe such supplies as unload (if any) are just thrown away.

IME, the answer is 'yes, move the LCU to the offload hex', but it's worth rmeckman sand-boxing it to see what happens.

I don't remember if Lowpe had an amphibious TF or an Fast Transport TF when he unloaded the supplies in a non-base hex in Siberia. That did activate the Soviets and it completely changed the way that the war was unfolding. I do know that I can use a Fast Transport TF to unload troops and supplies at a non-base hex - including a mountain hex - and have done so.

In fact, if I remember correctly, Canoerebel did use an invasion TF to invade a non-base hex to block a Japanese retreat in Hokkaido.

― Julia Child

(in reply to Ian R)
Post #: 8
RE: Amphibious TF as Supply Source - 1/19/2022 11:21:00 PM   
Ian R

Once you put troops ashore there is a location available to unload the supplies to. That is the difference.

"I am Alfred"

(in reply to RangerJoe)
Post #: 9
RE: Amphibious TF as Supply Source - 1/19/2022 11:53:00 PM   
rmeckman

quote:

I did a quick test using an old save by loading an amphibious TF in Darwin with supplies only and setting its destination to hex 75,123. This is a non-base coastal hex on Bathurst Island just north of Darwin. The TF is set to Remain on Station. During turn resolution, the TF is reported to be unloading, but no supplies actually come ashore; the TF just sits at the destination hex with its full 80% amphibious load. It appears that an LCU is required to offload supplies in a non-base coastal hex from an amphibious TF.

(in reply to Ian R)
Post #: 10
RE: Amphibious TF as Supply Source - 1/20/2022 12:09:50 AM   
BananaConvention

quote:

I did a quick test using an old save by loading an amphibious TF in Darwin with supplies only and setting its destination to hex 75,123. This is a non-base coastal hex on Bathurst Island just north of Darwin. The TF is set to Remain on Station. During turn resolution, the TF is reported to be unloading, but no supplies actually come ashore; the TF just sits at the destination hex with its full 80% amphibious load. It appears that an LCU is required to offload supplies in a non-base coastal hex from an amphibious TF.

This one post just saved me an hour of trying to configure a test. Thank you for sharing this info to a novice!

(in reply to rmeckman)
Post #: 11
RE: Amphibious TF as Supply Source - 1/20/2022 12:42:52 AM   
Zovs

Yes thanks for this. I think I need to find a scenario I can use to test things maybe Guadalcanal.

Beta Tester for:
Flashpoint Campaigns: Sudden Storm
War in the East 1 & 2
WarPlan & WarPlan Pacific
Valor & Victory
DG CWIE 2
SPWW2 & SPMBT scenario creator

(in reply to BananaConvention)
Post #: 12
RE: Amphibious TF as Supply Source - 1/20/2022 1:54:23 AM   
BananaConvention

Speaking of scenarios, would you be interested in a PBEM scenario for the Guadalcanal campaign? I would like to play IJN for it. I'm very novice but it sounds like you are too so this could be good!

(in reply to Zovs)
Post #: 13
RE: Amphibious TF as Supply Source - 1/20/2022 3:16:05 AM   
Ian R

quote:

quote:

Yes, that is what I have seen.

The exe works logically and sequentially - in phase x it tries to unload where you told it to, but it finds there is no receptacle "location" that the supplies can go to, so they stay on ship.

Note this means that in an amphibious invasion, make sure your supply only TFs are higher numbered than the troop carrying TFs, so some troops get ashore (forming fragment units that are a 'location') before the supply TFs do. TFs move, and under take activities, starting from TF1 and progressing upwards through the numbers.

I believe Ranger Joe's anecdote about Lowpe triggering Soviet entry by an attempted unload reflects that - the trigger had happened before the exe looked for a location to unload the supplies into.

"I am Alfred"

(in reply to rmeckman)
Post #: 14
RE: Amphibious TF as Supply Source - 1/20/2022 6:57:57 AM   
Yaab

quote:

quote:

I think you have to test now if supplies will be shared between a newly unloaded LCU and the stranded LCU in the enemy territory where you have no friendly base.

(in reply to rmeckman)
Post #: 15
RE: Amphibious TF as Supply Source - 1/20/2022 7:45:49 AM   
Ian R

Yes, rmeckman should test that to, ah, validate my location recipient hypothesis

"I am Alfred"

(in reply to Yaab)
Post #: 16
RE: Amphibious TF as Supply Source - 1/20/2022 7:23:45 PM   
rmeckman

quote:

ORIGINAL: Yaab

I think you have to test now if supplies will be shared between a newly unloaded LCU and the stranded LCU in the enemy territory where you have no friendly base.

Michaelm, who was one of the devs, states in post #6 of this thread that

quote:

There is code to 'borrow' excess supply from friendly units in the same hex during the Supply phase if an [sic] unit has supply in excess of twice it's requirements.

so one option is to move the isolated LCUs to the amphibious TF hex to get supplies directly. Another is to offload other LCUs that receive considerable excess supplies and then move to the isolated LCUs. I can see some potential for abuse in the latter approach: a small mobile unit might be offloaded and gorged like a logistical fois-gras duck and then sent waddling off into the hinterlands at normal movement rates.

(in reply to Yaab)
Post #: 17
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Amphibious TF as Supply Source Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI