Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

The dark arts of the WITP:AE uninstall

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> The dark arts of the WITP:AE uninstall Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
The dark arts of the WITP:AE uninstall - 1/22/2022 8:01:41 AM   
Yaab

Can you impart any knowledge for the uninitiated?

My Uninstall folder has two images, one xml file and one dat file. Nowhere in the WITP:AE folder can I find any uninstall application. BTW, after my last Windows 10 reinstall, my U-Obit Uninstaller does not see the installed WITP-AE, so I have to uninstall the game with its native uninstall options.

The game is not visible in the Control Panel's programs to uninstall either

Many thanks!

< Message edited by Yaab -- 1/22/2022 8:15:19 AM >
Post #: 1
RE: The dark arts of the WITP:AE uninstall - 1/22/2022 8:45:59 AM   
littleike

Probabily the win10 install has wiped out the originals registry informations.

Simply delete the old witpAE directory and start a new install.

Before deleting the whole directory manually save your WitpAE save directory if you want not to loose your active games!!

< Message edited by littleike -- 1/22/2022 8:53:51 AM >

(in reply to Yaab)
Post #: 2
RE: The dark arts of the WITP:AE uninstall - 1/22/2022 9:21:06 AM   
Yaab

Thanks, littleike, I have deleted the game manually.

(in reply to littleike)
Post #: 3
RE: The dark arts of the WITP:AE uninstall - 1/22/2022 9:36:13 AM   
littleike

Glad to help Yaab.

Install of the games (but also applications) is a process normally made of two parts.

The installer create the directories and all the files needed by the application but in this process also write
proprietary informations in the windows registry ( a location used by the system
to store reserved informations related to the game usage and to security for example the key code if there is one you
had when you bought the game).

When you start the game a check is made in the registry to see if you made the right installation process and all the information
stored there are correct.

So the installation process write to registry and to directories location in your hard disk.

When the registry informations are missing or corrupted game wont start also if all the hard disk directories are still there.

This is done to not copy a game only copying his directories.

Uninstaller programs use the registry to look for installed programs present in the pc and if they are not in the registry
for their logic they are not present at all also if their directories are still there.
If informations are correct uninstall deletes both registry and directories.

Reinstalling the game from scratch write this informations again in the registry and all goes well again.

The windows install without wiping all hard disk is done mainly to not delete the files that user can have on hard disk
but is never done to save the programs installed. Every new install of windows need a reinstall of all the programs
that were present before.

PS: There are also some applications that don't use registry during their install process. These will function also after
a windows reinstall but the majority of commercial applications use the registry.

< Message edited by littleike -- 1/22/2022 9:59:49 AM >

(in reply to Yaab)
Post #: 4
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> The dark arts of the WITP:AE uninstall Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI