Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

game is really good but not crazy about victory parameters etc etc

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Campaign Series: Vietnam >> game is really good but not crazy about victory parameters etc etc Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
game is really good but not crazy about victory paramet... - 1/22/2022 5:58:36 AM   
dox44

i cleared the town, almost. i inflicted more casualties than i took. i had all those french flags but around turn 17 or 18
a side b unit looking like the hero in a Combat Commander scenario (and the like. i love CC by they way so no slight here) ran
through my lines to the chow hall and grabbed 2 dozen beignets and waltzed right out. well he ran out of movement points and
didn't get all the way home. i thought okay maybe a minor victory but those beignets were top shelf. when i checked the Victory
Dialog, i got a major defeat. ?? well i couldn't chunk the board off the table. i looked but didn't see a command from the pull down...
maybe in 1.01? I mean we are trying to imitate a board game.

So i started to do what any good german in french employment would do when suddenly my commander grabbed my hand and stopped me. "Four more losses like that dox44 and we win the war!!" I haven't been led like that since the USMC.

Anyways no worry here cause i've always been a big fan of Kirk's solution to the Kobayashi Maru...

:)

Post #: 1
RE: game is really good but not crazy about victory par... - 1/22/2022 6:06:19 AM   
Jason Petho

Ah yes... that is one that is about subtly in the scenario briefing and scenario introduction. I've tried to explain that not everything will be spelled out for you in detail. There is an additional mission of probing outside of the village areas to hunt down supplies and the headquarters that is around the area.

That is where you will gain the victory by holding the objectives, killing the VC, but also going out to find the supplies and headquarters and destroying them.

If you just sit in the village area where the objectives are, you won't win.

(in reply to dox44)
Post #: 2
RE: game is really good but not crazy about victory par... - 1/22/2022 6:18:42 AM   
devoncop

If that is Guong Dinh scenario dox44 is referring to I am about 12 turns into it this morning and was smugly thinking I had got it mastered with the French parachutists sitting pretty in the village admiring the Pagoda ....now I am going to have to get em to put down the Beaujolais and head into the paddies again....they won't be happy.

I did wonder where those supplies were

"I do not agree with what you say, but I shall defend to the death your right to say it"

(in reply to Jason Petho)
Post #: 3
RE: game is really good but not crazy about victory par... - 1/22/2022 6:19:40 AM   
Jason Petho

You should know by now I'm a very mean... mean... designer. I don't make life easy.

Well, except the bootcamps are easy... and look how those turned out. HA!

(in reply to devoncop)
Post #: 4
RE: game is really good but not crazy about victory par... - 1/22/2022 6:32:38 AM   
Crossroads

Well, the whole war in Vietnam was mean in that aspect, too. Not many chances for those trusted maneuver-to-hammer-and-anvil tactics in a terrain where you can, well, manoeuvre first, and then, see the enemy. With an enemy who had learnt not to engage under western tactics either. It is often very tough out there. But hopefully fun to play while at it, too. Lots of licking my wounds in scenarios I have played..

Post #: 5
RE: game is really good but not crazy about victory par... - 1/22/2022 6:32:41 AM   
devoncop

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jason Petho

You should know by now I'm a very mean... mean... designer. I don't make life easy

That conclusion is gradually making it's way through my thick skull yes !

It's nice to have a game that actually rewards spending thinking time before and during a scenario and regular scrutinising of the SMEAC. Last time I did any thinking was about 1974 so I am still getting back into practice....

"I do not agree with what you say, but I shall defend to the death your right to say it"

Post #: 6
RE: game is really good but not crazy about victory par... - 1/22/2022 7:27:58 AM   
wodin

Hey I lost all the bootcamp scenarios by ALOT like if you needed say over 500 to get a minor victory I had around -270!!

(in reply to devoncop)
Post #: 7
RE: game is really good but not crazy about victory par... - 1/22/2022 7:49:10 AM   
Crossroads

I lost them all at first go too. It does pay to play them through in a way one gets a result there before graduating to actual battlefields, imo

(in reply to wodin)
Post #: 8
RE: game is really good but not crazy about victory par... - 1/22/2022 7:49:20 AM   
devoncop

quote:

ORIGINAL: wodin

Hey I lost all the bootcamp scenarios by ALOT like if you needed say over 500 to get a minor victory I had around -270!!

Following orders is definitely key in this iteration and sometimes VP's can sometimes even be a distraction from that...those briefingscare crucial. I went from a major loss to a major victory in bootcamp 2 after realising this !

(in reply to wodin)
Post #: 9
RE: game is really good but not crazy about victory par... - 1/22/2022 5:05:45 PM   
dox44

i was sitting smug in that town too and nobody was around. i read that supply thing too...and then i got john wayned.

you are devious. i love it. don't change.

thanks!

(in reply to devoncop)
Post #: 10
RE: game is really good but not crazy about victory par... - 1/22/2022 5:25:33 PM   
devoncop

quote:

ORIGINAL: dox44

i was sitting smug in that town too and nobody was around. i read that supply thing too...and then i got john wayned.

you are devious. i love it. don't change.

thanks!

+1

(in reply to dox44)
Post #: 11
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Campaign Series: Vietnam >> game is really good but not crazy about victory parameters etc etc Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI