Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Computer Control

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Computer Control Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Computer Control - 2/3/2022 4:18:07 PM   
Hano

What does selecting Computer Control as an option for a task force actually do?

Post #: 1
RE: Computer Control - 2/3/2022 4:37:33 PM   
rockmedic109

Nothing good?

Honestly, don't do it. I started thinking that it would relieve pressure and make it easier to learn the game. I was wrong.

You certainly do not want the computer to control your capital ships. You can set up a system of supply movement on computer control, but it is easier to just set up CS convoys as they will automatically do what you want them to do. Only downside is when you have a convoy going somewhere the enemy has taken or taken someplace that is threatened. As allies this should only happen in 41 and 42 for the most part.

Setting up a completely computer controlled supply system is more work than it is worth IMO. You have to set the bases in the system and then the ships for that system. And then you have to trust the computer to do what it is supposed to do.

The problem is that that computer doing all this is the same computer you are playing against {if single player} and I think the computer will cheat in order to win.

If playing the allies, you will soon be swimming in supplies and shipping and can just flood places with enough supply to last a year or five without much effort and still have plenty to move to your central hubs, moving them ever forward as you collect a new jumping off point for the next invasion.

(in reply to Hano)
Post #: 2
RE: Computer Control - 2/3/2022 4:55:37 PM   
LargeSlowTarget

+1 for don't do it. Most of the time the computer's orders won't make much sense.

(in reply to rockmedic109)
Post #: 3
RE: Computer Control - 2/4/2022 8:04:13 AM   
Hano

Thanks Guys, I've not used it much but was intrigued to find out what it was supposed to do. I thought it might help with sub patrols, but I can probably achieve what I want with a patrol zone - Do not refuel. To my mind that would tell a sub to patrol within bounds and when fuel drops below a set limit return to base to refuel.

(in reply to LargeSlowTarget)
Post #: 4
RE: Computer Control - 2/4/2022 12:01:17 PM   
BBfanboy

The AI does not have enough development to decide what needs to be done and put together a good plan to do it. And it can obsess on a single point of issue (like getting supply to the most remote outpost) so much that it sends multiple TFs with more supply than the base can store, or even offload in the tiny port.

There is one time that the computer does handle things well - when you set up a Continuous Supply (CS) convoy. Load at the home port for the TF, select a destination, and click on the Human Control text - it will then change to CS Convoy instead of Computer Control. In this case you have made the key decisions about what is needed and where it is needed and what ships will be assigned.

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

(in reply to Hano)
Post #: 5
RE: Computer Control - 2/11/2022 12:03:29 PM   
hyperstork67

If the computer is in control, will my ships and subs choose another home port when Manila falls? Because the Japanese have Manila surrounded, so it's just a matter of time, while Australia seems so far away...

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 6
RE: Computer Control - 2/11/2022 12:21:09 PM   
WEXF

There are many potential home ports closer than Australia for the fleet that is no longer able to go to Manila. It is likely that the DEI has not yet fallen or you can even send many of the subs to WEXF

(in reply to hyperstork67)
Post #: 7
RE: Computer Control - 2/11/2022 12:54:27 PM   
JanSako

You should not leave ships under computer control, definitely not in an active combat zone.
Subs will choose another port at random. Never tested if they actually choose one that has the needed support for rearming though...

(in reply to WEXF)
Post #: 8
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Computer Control Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI