Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

New Scenario: Central Front 1989 (NATO vs Warsaw Pact)

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> The Operational Art of War IV >> Mods and Scenarios >> New Scenario: Central Front 1989 (NATO vs Warsaw Pact) Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
New Scenario: Central Front 1989 (NATO vs Warsaw Pact) - 1/10/2022 8:56:40 AM   
THW

G'day everyone,

It's taken more than 10 years of chipping away at this, but it's finally at the stage where it's ready to pass on for your enjoyment. I'd like to thank Bill Lott for making the excellent map, as well as doing a lot of playtesting over the years.

Date: May 1989
Unit scale: Brigade, Regiment, Battalion
Map scale: 10 km
Turn length: 1 day
Turns: 29 (1 turn cease-fire, 28 active turns)

The exact details of why the Soviet Union decided to go to war in the spring of 1989 are uncertain. Maybe the Communist leadership could see the crumbling of their empire, and decided to stake everything on a last desperate effort to hold onto power. Maybe they thought that they had to overwhelm the West before NATO became too powerful and attacked them in turn. Whatever the reason, the result was the same.

Preparations for mobilisation were begun almost immediately, but kept deliberately low-profile, to avoid alerting NATO. Western intelligence agencies picked up some of the signs, but not enough to justify a higher alert state. Full Warsaw Pact mobilisation began only eight days ago. It took NATO three days to assess the situation, longer for political leaders to be convinced, and for its own mobilisation to begin. With less than a week to mobilise, a number of NATO countries are still scrambling to get into position.

US reinforcements have been arriving for some days, but many units are still enroute. Air Force wings are preparing to reinforce the 2nd and 4th Allied Tactical Air Forces in Central Europe, as well as Iceland, Norway and the Mediterranean.

The Poles, East Germans and Czechoslovak peoples are not enthusiastic about the war. But a mixture of propaganda, nationalism and fear of the secret police has meant that enough reservists have reported for duty. However, the Warsaw Pact generals know that only victory and success will keep these troops fighting for long. Defeat, or even a drawn out war will see these countries withdraw from the conflict, and their armies put down their weapons.

A high-intensity, conventional war in such a densely populated area as Central Europe will have terrible consequences for the local population. While this might harden the resolve of some, it will test that of others, including many of the politicians in charge of their countries. NATO’s weakest point is likely to be the willingness of national leaders to watch their people become casualties as their homes are destroyed and their country devastated, live on colour TV.

NATO intelligence analysts have noted that the mass movement of Warsaw Pact forces across Eastern Europe has stopped, and a calm has descended along the border from Lubeck in the north to Passau in the south. Rather than breathe a sigh of relief, the consensus is that the Warsaw Pact forces are simply carrying out a last round of maintenance checks prior to combat. The war is about to start.

Attachment (1)
Post #: 1
RE: New Scenario: Central Front 1989 (NATO vs Warsaw Pact) - 1/10/2022 9:18:09 AM   
THW

A few points about this scenario.

There's a wealth of information in the player notes for both sides. I strongly recommend you read these. Pay attention in particular to the bits concerning surrender locations, EEV and the theatre options.

The Warsaw Pact start this scenario losing. As the Warsaw Pact player, you'll have to be hyper-aggressive, just like the Soviets would have been.

The scenario is not really set up for PO play. It will take a lot more knowledge about the scenario editor than I have to make this so. I gave up when HQ units insisted on deploying into the front line.

The Warsaw Pact war plan is based on the book "Inside the Soviet Army" by Victor Surarov. This puts four Fronts in the first echelon (with 57 divisions) to try and make a break somewhere in the NATO line. Following this are the second echelon (another Front with 15 divisions) and the third echelon (a Group of Tank Armies with 8 divisions). The Soviets have opted for a light approach in Scandinavia (no invasion of Finland) and prioritisation of the Western Strategic Direction over the Southwestern (aimed at Austria and the Balkans). So assets assigned to the Southwest may be made available.

NATO is still mobilising, with REFORGER, British Territorial, Dutch and Belgian units still arriving at their war positions. The Soviets are mobilising faster, but their units are less proficient due a greater acceptance of half-trained units.

The East German, Czechoslovak and Polish forces may withdraw suddenly as the EEV counter rises past certain thresholds.

The West German, French, Dutch, Belgian and Danish units may withdraw suddenly if certain 'surrender' locations are occupied by the Warsaw Pact. Guard these well.

Supply is going to be a big issue as the scenario progresses for both sides. Attrition of key equipments will also be a huge problem. Don't expect your armoured units to be very armoured by week 3. A lot of NATO armoured units have had light infantry battalions added to their TOE to give them some combat effectiveness by the second half of the game, or light infantry brigades have been added to that nation's orbat.

In the back are some notes specific to each side, explaining the rationale for the deployment of each, and the key formations. There is advice on how to approach the scenario, but feel free to ignore. There's nothing wrong with the NATO player trying to strike for Berlin after all :)

Otherwise, I hope you enjoy this.

Cheers,

Tane Woodley
New Zealand.

(in reply to THW)
Post #: 2
RE: New Scenario: Central Front 1989 (NATO vs Warsaw Pact) - 1/10/2022 10:53:16 AM   
cathar1244

Thanks Tane.

I realize how much work goes into scenarios, especially the large ones. Part of you is imprinted in this work.

Cheers

(in reply to THW)
Post #: 3
RE: New Scenario: Central Front 1989 (NATO vs Warsaw Pact) - 1/11/2022 6:31:06 AM   
THW

quote:

ORIGINAL: cathar1244

Thanks Tane.

I realize how much work goes into scenarios, especially the large ones. Part of you is imprinted in this work.

Cheers

Thanks mate, part of me is, a good part I hope :)

There will always be more to add to this, the problem with doing this scenario is that I could only do it in fits and starts as the rest of my life took priority. It's a bit disjointed still as a result, but at some point you just have to stop polishing and just get it out there.

Apologies to those of you who offered to do playtests when I asked back in 2020 and then never got a reply as I submarined away from this forum. I hope this scenario is a fun one for you.

(in reply to cathar1244)
Post #: 4
RE: New Scenario: Central Front 1989 (NATO vs Warsaw Pact) - 2/10/2022 1:18:15 AM   
george420

Hi THW, the link seems to be broken, I am using Firefox, thanks.

(in reply to THW)
Post #: 5
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> The Operational Art of War IV >> Mods and Scenarios >> New Scenario: Central Front 1989 (NATO vs Warsaw Pact) Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI