Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Struggling to predict fight

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Valor & Victory >> Struggling to predict fight Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Struggling to predict fight - 2/5/2022 3:09:13 PM   
Simulacra53

I want to like it, but is this 100% RNG with modifiers or do tactics make any significant difference?
Feel like I am only throwing dice (well switched that part off) but hardly doing anything that impacts the outcome.

And no, I don’t have a history in table top wargaming - 99.9% PC.
Post #: 1
RE: Struggling to predict fight - 2/5/2022 6:59:37 PM   
yobowargames

Hi Simulacra

Some tactics I use are:

When moving units don't move them immediately into a place where defenders can then fire on them in the defender's fire phase. This leads to them being exposed to 2 phases of fire (defenders fire phase and then the defenders next turns fire phase) before they can fire again. Use the advance phase to move them into the final position so they can only be shot at once before they next get to fire.

Try to take out the enemy's -2 leader stack/s. They can do a lot of damage if they roll low and then also get that -2 modifier.

Try to maximize firepower on one area of the map without giving the enemy the same in return.

Try to take out the enemy mortars as early as possible. They can gradually cause a lot of attrition if they get to fire at you every turn.

Get close to use your grenades and make sure you have good odds in close combat. Losing close combat is a good way of getting wiped out.

Get your troops into position out of LOS of the enemy and then have as many of them as possible move into their firing positions at the same time so you swamp the enemy with firepower and spread their fire.

Hope this helps

Lance

YOBOWARGAMES – “BRINGING THE JOYS OF BOARD WARGAMING TO THE PC”

(in reply to Simulacra53)
Post #: 2
RE: Struggling to predict fight - 2/7/2022 8:43:11 PM   
Simulacra53

Thanks for sharing that Lance.

Having a hard time as the Germans in the first Stalingrad scenario.
Like you wrote both mortars and close combat are taking their toll, also the double exposure (fire and defensive fire rounds).

Let’s see if I can adopt some of your advice.
Bought the game on release, but have not played it beyond the first Normandy (tutorial scenario).
That one seems a lot easier than the new DLC.

…I tried to understand the dice system, but it makes my head spin. So I just think the situation as I would in any computer war game (and hope for the RNG to be kind)

(in reply to yobowargames)
Post #: 3
RE: Struggling to predict fight - 2/11/2022 6:31:52 AM   
Simulacra53

This YT was quite a help for a no board game experience wargamer

https://youtu.be/12dlSRGVJ_w

Especially the part starting at 27:13 after first having gone through the order of battle.
Dunno why I just could not get this from the manual, post (long) Covid brain fog?

Let’s see how I’ll do this weekend.

(in reply to Simulacra53)
Post #: 4
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Valor & Victory >> Struggling to predict fight Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI