Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Question on Yes/No choices on Base supply

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Question on Yes/No choices on Base supply Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Question on Yes/No choices on Base supply - 2/7/2022 3:21:19 PM   
kennonlightfoot

I can't find a reference to what these settings do so far in the documentation. Can someone tell me?

In the Base screen there are four Yes/No flags you can set for:
Supply
Fuel
Oil
Resources

What do these settings do?
Post #: 1
RE: Question on Yes/No choices on Base supply - 2/7/2022 3:48:15 PM   
Nomad

These are switches added by a patch. They turn on or off stockpiling for those items. Note that stockpiling supply does not keep LCUs that are not in the base from using supply,
but the base will not send supply to other bases near it.

(in reply to kennonlightfoot)
Post #: 2
RE: Question on Yes/No choices on Base supply - 2/7/2022 5:04:45 PM   
WEXF

I believe one of the best uses of the + for supply is to try and keep 20K supply at a key base for support of air groups.
WEXF

(in reply to Nomad)
Post #: 3
RE: Question on Yes/No choices on Base supply - 2/7/2022 7:53:54 PM   
kennonlightfoot

Thought it might be something like that but wasn't sure. Thanks.

(in reply to WEXF)
Post #: 4
RE: Question on Yes/No choices on Base supply - 2/9/2022 2:51:56 PM   
kennonlightfoot

I finally got to the Let's Play video that explains using these Yes/No flags. The description of what they do implies it is telling the game how much supply to request and stockpile. But this leads to another question, does the game actually do anything with these numbers and flags?

Since I am playing the game with the Automatic convoy system turned off, I don't see the game doing anything with these settings. It won't have any supply or fuel to stockpile unless I create cargo and tank transports to move it there. It won't have anything to stockpile unless I move more than is being used.

So appears to me these are just reminder flags and numbers so when I check the base I know I meant to build it up.

Or, does it actually cause the game to do something in the back ground?

Post #: 5
RE: Question on Yes/No choices on Base supply - 2/9/2022 3:33:04 PM   
Maallon

Yes, as said above with the stockpile flag the base won't send supply/fuel/resources/oil to other bases.
The game tries to send 3x the amount of supply to a base that it is requesting.
So if you set the amount requested to 10.000, the game will try to keep the amount at 30.000 there.
This also applies for fuel.
Supply/fuel/resources/oil can be moved over land. The amount moved per turn depends on the hex terrain type.

Of course if there isn't enough stuff available, then nothing can be moved around. Also the movement over land takes time.
While you can see instantaneous changes in places like the Japanese Home Islands where most bases are connected via major railroads,
moving supply around through the jungle of New Guinea will take time.

I would recommend reading Alfred's Logistic 101 Guide:
https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2878790&mpage=1&key=�

Post #: 6
RE: Question on Yes/No choices on Base supply - 2/9/2022 7:34:27 PM   
kennonlightfoot

Thanks for the link. That was the kind of information I was looking for.

(in reply to Maallon)
Post #: 7
RE: Question on Yes/No choices on Base supply - 2/15/2022 1:43:52 PM   
Ian R

Alfred really did have the answers to a lot of this stuff.

Unfortunately he is no longer a poster here because some people were so thin skinned, they couldn't rationally deal with it being pointed out they were wrong.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Maallon

Yes, as said above with the stockpile flag the base won't send supply/fuel/resources/oil to other bases.
The game tries to send 3x the amount of supply to a base that it is requesting.
So if you set the amount requested to 10.000, the game will try to keep the amount at 30.000 there.
This also applies for fuel.
Supply/fuel/resources/oil can be moved over land. The amount moved per turn depends on the hex terrain type.

Of course if there isn't enough stuff available, then nothing can be moved around. Also the movement over land takes time.
While you can see instantaneous changes in places like the Japanese Home Islands where most bases are connected via major railroads,
moving supply around through the jungle of New Guinea will take time.

I would recommend reading Alfred's Logistic 101 Guide:
https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2878790&mpage=1&key=�

"I am Alfred"

(in reply to Maallon)
Post #: 8
RE: Question on Yes/No choices on Base supply - 2/15/2022 4:03:09 PM   
Nomad

Sorry, I misread the post.

< Message edited by Nomad -- 2/15/2022 5:28:06 PM >

(in reply to WEXF)
Post #: 9
RE: Question on Yes/No choices on Base supply - 2/15/2022 5:18:12 PM   
WEXF

quote:

ORIGINAL: Nomad

quote:

ORIGINAL: WEXF

I believe one of the best uses of the + for supply is to try and keep 20K supply at a key base for support of air groups.
WEXF

This is not good advice. Use the supply demand spinner for this purpose.

I rarely use the stockpile option for any item. It has to be used with caution.

My suggestion was to use the + to get to 20K supply. I think the spinner is where the + shows up.
WEXF

(in reply to Nomad)
Post #: 10
RE: Question on Yes/No choices on Base supply - 2/15/2022 7:32:27 PM   
btd64

One quick note, if you set the "spinner" to 7000 your base will bring in 21k supplies. That's because it brings in 3x the number you set....GP

Intel i7 4.3GHz 10th Gen,16GB Ram,Nvidia GeForce MX330

AKA General Patton

WPO,WITP,WITPAE-Mod Designer/Tester
DWU-Beta Tester
TOAW4-Alpha/Beta Tester

"Do everything you ask of those you command"....Gen. George S. Patton

(in reply to WEXF)
Post #: 11
RE: Question on Yes/No choices on Base supply - 2/16/2022 6:41:59 AM   
Chris21wen

quote:

ORIGINAL: kennonlightfoot

I finally got to the Let's Play video that explains using these Yes/No flags. The description of what they do implies it is telling the game how much supply to request and stockpile. But this leads to another question, does the game actually do anything with these numbers and flags?

Since I am playing the game with the Automatic convoy system turned off, I don't see the game doing anything with these settings. It won't have any supply or fuel to stockpile unless I create cargo and tank transports to move it there. It won't have anything to stockpile unless I move more than is being used.

So appears to me these are just reminder flags and numbers so when I check the base I know I meant to build it up.

It works, but understanding it is a different thing so here's my interepation. I'm assuming one route here but there's few (none!) locations on the map where this applies.

If there's no supply then nothing moves.
Each base keeps 3x its requirement so won't pass on supply if it has less.
Supply only moves during the overland supply phase from one base to the next connected base.

From this logically to move supply from chain of bases a to d it would take three turns as it goes though b and c using the shortest movement route. Setting b or c to stockpile will stop the flow? Turning them up will siphon off the flow reducing how quickly d gets to it's requested amount.

One question thing I've never got is will base D draw supply from more than on base, say A and B if B is not in the chain?

Use the 5 key you can see the actual % supplied from one base to any hex it can acutually reach.

If my perceptions on this is crap please uncrap me.

Post #: 12
RE: Question on Yes/No choices on Base supply - 2/16/2022 3:19:17 PM   
BBfanboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chris21wen

quote:

ORIGINAL: kennonlightfoot

It works, but understanding it is a different thing so here's my interepation. I'm assuming one route here but there's few (none!) locations on the map where this applies.

If there's no supply then nothing moves.
Each base keeps 3x its requirement so won't pass on supply if it has less.
Supply only moves during the overland supply phase from one base to the next connected base.

From this logically to move supply from chain of bases a to d it would take three turns as it goes though b and c using the shortest movement route. Setting b or c to stockpile will stop the flow? Turning them up will siphon off the flow reducing how quickly d gets to it's requested amount.

One question thing I've never got is will base D draw supply from more than on base, say A and B if B is not in the chain?

Use the 5 key you can see the actual % supplied from one base to any hex it can acutually reach.

If my perceptions on this is crap please uncrap me.

A couple of caveats:
LCUs outside a base can still draw supply from the base no matter the stockpiling or increased draw settings for the base. As in real life, front line troops have priority for their needs.

And the 5 key revelation is the potential for the supply to reach that hex. The numbers on the map obviously exceed 100, so the number for a single hex is only relevant if it held an LCU demanding all that supply and none of the other hexes had any demands for the supply. And of course, better transportation corridors are more likely to conduct supplies to the target hex than rough/jungle/forest/mountain/swamp terrain hexes.

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

(in reply to Chris21wen)
Post #: 13
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Question on Yes/No choices on Base supply Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI