Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

what use "Broken" status

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> what use "Broken" status Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
what use "Broken" status - 7/24/2001 5:42:00 AM   
Nikademus

This (should be) signifigant event continues to confound me. Recently i had scored an upset victory over an impertinent German Kampfgruppe that just happened to "stray" over our common border (6/41) After seeing the "Broken" indicator on one of the later AI's turn i once more looked hard to see any real difference in the stance of the surviving troops. Alas, as usual, i saw none. The stubborn FJ troops, now stripped of their armor support continued to advance towards the objective hexes more convincingly than a soldier in "A bridge too far" Whats up with this feature? I dont think it's ever worked right in any version of SP. Should'nt the troops be in more or less near permanent rout and start streaming en masse towards their own start lines?

Post #: 1
- 7/24/2001 5:56:00 AM   
SIdeslip

As far as I can tell, it is a condition that allows you to win when playing the AI when you have all the flags taken. I have played games where I have captured all the flags and the game has not ended so allowing them to counterattack. Other than that I don't know.

Today, is a good day to die.

(in reply to Nikademus)
Post #: 2
- 7/24/2001 6:07:00 AM   
Grumble

In addition to Sideslip's comments, I would add that "broken" is also supposed to automatically add suppression to the broken side's units, IIRC. As in the "real world", in the case of aggressive, well trained and led troops (like FJ, Rangers etc) it would have some but not much, effect.

"...these go up to eleven."
Nigel Tufnel

(in reply to Nikademus)
Post #: 3
- 7/24/2001 6:40:00 AM   
Nikademus

Hmm, i thought that exp level might factor however i've seen the same lack of suppression/rout even when fighting lower quality troops too. They still continue to advance as if "un"broken

(in reply to Nikademus)
Post #: 4
- 7/24/2001 6:50:00 AM   
Warrior

What it means is "Morale Broken." It doesn't mean they're going to roll over and allow you to kill them at your leisure. My comment during many scenario tests was "somebody forgot to tell them they were broken!" :D

Retreat is NOT an option.

(in reply to Nikademus)
Post #: 5
- 7/24/2001 8:25:00 AM   
Paul Vebber

AT the end of the turn there is a series of checks that result in automatic suppression removal (like if you are close to a lot of friendly units especially Command posts) or addition (if you are in a hex on fire). If you have 2/3 to 3/4 of your force retreated, routed or reduced below half strength, then if your AO fails a morale check vs Die(120), then your side is "broken". During the end of turn suppression removal/addition al the troops belonging to a broken force add 9 suppression, prior to the end of turn rally, so good leadership acan "work through it" but poor leadership or isolated units will rapidly gain suppression over a few turns, genrealy keeping them at least pinned. If you hold no objectives and your side is broken, then the game will usually end.

(in reply to Nikademus)
Post #: 6
- 7/24/2001 8:58:00 AM   
Nikademus

Thanks for the reply Paul. I'll experiment a little more but from what i've observed so far i think the system needs to be tweaked a bit more. Fighting against even green troops i'm still seeing the majority of the troops continuing to fight towards their objectives when in "Broken" status Perhaps a greater level of suppression needs to be added, or better, the end of turn suppression removal bonus should be...."suppressed"? :D

(in reply to Nikademus)
Post #: 7
- 7/27/2001 9:44:00 PM   
gdpsnake

A question: Suppose you start with 100 tanks. So for morale purposes you have 100 units. Then, 50 tanks get KO'd and drop crews. Do you still have 100 units for morale checks (50 tanks + 50 crews) or do you have 50 units (surviving tanks)?

(in reply to Nikademus)
Post #: 8
- 7/28/2001 1:42:00 AM   
Paul Vebber

No, AFAIK crews don't count. But you might want to try it...

(in reply to Nikademus)
Post #: 9
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> what use "Broken" status Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI