Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

5 questions from a newbie

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Decisive Battles: Korsun Pocket >> 5 questions from a newbie Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
5 questions from a newbie - 10/10/2003 5:07:31 PM   
Preon

I've had the game for almost 2 weeks now, and I'm about to win my first game against the computer (I think). However, I do have a few questions:

1: On several occasions, I'll have units that still have a free action (green supply bar) and I want them to dig in. These units are always next to enemy units. Their pop-up says that they're capable, but I'm unable to issue the order. Is it an OP issue (the units might have moved or taken part in an overrun... not sure)

2: Sometimes, units of mine that are on the front line and clearly within the radius of my supply trucks will show up with grey supply bars. Is this a bug? I haven't doublechecked to see if they get resupplied or not.

3: Do anti-aircraft units have any virtue against aircraft? So far, I've only seen them useful as a mild anti-shock unit. It'd be pretty cool if they could lighten the effect of interdiction missions.

4: Is it best to go for the objective or to go for points? So far, I've only played the 1st Ukrainian Front scenario, but for the life of me, I can't get to Zvenigorodka in 16 turns (like the scenario objectives state). However, in my current game, I've decided to focus on the destruction of the emeny military and the capture/denial of lesser towns. I seem to be doing MUCH better. Comments?

5: When deploying a detachment, are you limited to deploying the detachment on the hex that your unit is currently occupying? On several occasions, I've watched the computer forward deploy detachments from its units. How does it do this?

Thanks in advance for any help with these questions.
-Preon
Post #: 1
- 10/10/2003 6:11:51 PM   
Rob Gjessing

1. A unit can only dig in if it is in a friendly controlled hex. You only control a hex the turn after you take it. If I advance my men to hex X, Y - then this hex becomes contested. I will not control it until the start of next turn. So you cant not advance and then dig in.

2. Gray supply dots mean that your unit was not supplied this turn. Selecting a supply truck is not a true indicator of what hexes were supplied for the current turn. Supply trucks radius tells you what hexes it will more then likely be able to supply next turn. To correctly see what hexes are supplied for this turn click on the Supplied Hexes button.

3. AA units have no effect on aircraft or interdiction in this version of the game.

4. You need to find a balance, generally to win you have to take the major objectives, but you need to balance this will killing the other guy. In some scenarios you get lots of points for killing the enemy, but in others you dont get many points at all.

5. Yes you are restricted to deploying detachments in the hex your unit is in. Dunno how the computer does that.. maybe it moves forward a hex, deploys and then retreats.. :)

(in reply to Preon)
Post #: 2
- 10/10/2003 6:15:30 PM   
Rob Gjessing

I forgot to mention that we have some Articles over at the http://Run5.wargamer.com website that may be of interest to you if you are a newbie.. good luck! Select the articles link from the main menu.

(in reply to Preon)
Post #: 3
- 10/10/2003 6:19:57 PM   
Pawlock

[QUOTE=Preon]I've had the game for almost 2 weeks now, and I'm about to win my first game against the computer (I think). However, I do have a few questions: 1: On several occasions, I'll have units that still have a free action (green supply bar) and I want them to dig in. These units are always next to enemy units. Their pop-up says that they're capable, but I'm unable to issue the order. Is it an OP issue (the units might have moved or taken part in an overrun... not sure) 2: Sometimes, units of mine that are on the front line and clearly within the radius of my supply trucks will show up with grey supply bars. Is this a bug? I haven't doublechecked to see if they get resupplied or not. 3: Do anti-aircraft units have any virtue against aircraft? So far, I've only seen them useful as a mild anti-shock unit. It'd be pretty cool if they could lighten the effect of interdiction missions. 4: Is it best to go for the objective or to go for points? So far, I've only played the 1st Ukrainian Front scenario, but for the life of me, I can't get to Zvenigorodka in 16 turns (like the scenario objectives state). However, in my current game, I've decided to focus on the destruction of the emeny military and the capture/denial of lesser towns. I seem to be doing MUCH better. Comments? 5: When deploying a detachment, are you limited to deploying the detachment on the hex that your unit is currently occupying? On several occasions, I've watched the computer forward deploy detachments from its units. How does it do this? Thanks in advance for any help with these questions. -Preon[/QUOTE] 1. They are probably in contested territory, they can only dig in, in owned territory 2. Think Rob explained this in a previous thread, just to recap, supply radius only shows probable supply for NEXT turn, not present. 3. No 4. No simple answer to this, you have to weight up many points, I have seen games won on only objectives, but never underestimate the value of destroyed units either. 5. Detatchments can be placed anywhere the unit can reach under normal movement( except stronpoints etc). Be careful though because placing detatchments will use your action up, so if you dont take op points you need to move to another hex into consideration to you may end up being stuck where yo are after placing the detatchment.

(in reply to Preon)
Post #: 4
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Decisive Battles: Korsun Pocket >> 5 questions from a newbie Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI