Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Early British Tanks: A Rivetting Question:

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Early British Tanks: A Rivetting Question: Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Early British Tanks: A Rivetting Question: - 8/10/2001 2:08:00 AM   
AbsntMndedProf

As I understand it, one of the problems with the earliest British tanks, such as the Stuart and Lee/Grant tanks, were their rivetted hulls. Even if an enemy round failed to penetrate the tank's armor, it could often cause one or more of the rivets' heads to break off and become a dangerous projectile inside the tank. Was this taken into account in determining whether an early British tank is damaged by a hit, or am I just being picky? Thanks!

Post #: 1
- 8/10/2001 2:53:00 AM   
Waylander

Having no Idea how the programming was done, I cant say. But I can say that Yes, rivetted Hulls did create another hazard for the tankers and as AT projectiles became larger and faster then this was the main reason for discarding this type of construction. One must also remember that this form of construction was used for ease and simplicity and, as tank producing nations advanced and increased there knowledge then it was phased out.

"You ask, what is our aim? I can answer in one word. It is victory. Victory at all costs. Victory in spite of all terrors. Victory, however long and hard the road may be, for without victory there is no survival."

(in reply to AbsntMndedProf)
Post #: 2
- 8/10/2001 3:58:00 AM   
TotenkopfZZ

These factors may be represented in the "Survive" rating of the tanks. The Stuart has a miserable 2 Survive rating while the Grant has an average 3. What this means is that they are rather easily destroyed by penetrating hits with a lower survivability of the crew. You can, of course, edit these to your desire. You will generate errors for your opponent in email games though unless you send them the modified OoB.

Post #: 3
- 8/10/2001 10:04:00 PM   
Grumble

True, but the "survive" ratings may be of similar design to those of ASL. If that's the case, the rating is an abstraction of how likely the "crew" is likely to escape and form a significant unit in game terms. The Grant's number may in fact be higher just because it had a crew of 6. Japanese, and Italian tanks also had rivetted hulls and turrets.

"...these go up to eleven."
Nigel Tufnel

Post #: 4
- 8/10/2001 10:13:00 PM   
Alexei

I have read that the Pz38(t) suffered the same problem...

Alexei.

Post #: 5
- 8/10/2001 10:34:00 PM   
Arralen

quote:

Originally posted by Grumble:
True, but the "survive" ratings may be of similar design to those of ASL. If that's the case, the rating is an abstraction of how likely the "crew" is likely to escape and form a significant unit in game terms. The Grant's number may in fact be higher just because it had a crew of 6.
AFAIK it's 'surv. rating' vs. 'warhead size' when it comes to penetrating hits. with 'surv.' >> 'warhead' it's really hard to damage or even kill a vehicle.(e.g.: AT rifle against normal tank) with s = w it's a fair chance of crew members surviving with s < w it's instant BOOOMM mostly so one has to abstract a lot of factors into one number (surv.):
- vehicles size
- how likely it is to brew up (fuel type etc)
- special construction characteristics that make it more/less prone to 'special damage' So the Grants higher value is most likely just because of the bigger size, which makes it harder to achieve a 100% killing hit with small guns. .. just my 0,02 EUR, though .. A. [ August 13, 2001: Message edited by: Arralen ]

AMD FX-4300
Gigabyte 970A-DS3P
Kingston 24GB DDR3-1600 (PC3-12800)
Asus GTX 750 Ti OC 2GB GDDR5
Seagate Barracuda SATA III 1TB
Windows 8.1

Post #: 6
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Early British Tanks: A Rivetting Question: Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI