Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

It´s freezing..HELP!

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> It´s freezing..HELP! Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
It´s freezing..HELP! - 5/16/2000 2:47:00 PM   
Red Baron

Hi.. Could anyone help me..please! The game continues to freeze on me, some times in the beginning of a battle sometimes, sometimes in the end and sometimes it don´t..It´s a real pain!..And i have waited so long for this game;-) I have tryed max. screen and shortcut things nothing helps.. Thanks..Red Baron..

Post #: 1
- 5/16/2000 5:03:00 PM   
Pack Rat

What kind of system you have, ram, speed, version of windows, etc. ? ------------------ Peace, Pack Rat

PR

(in reply to Red Baron)
Post #: 2
- 5/16/2000 6:28:00 PM   
Red Baron

Hi My system is Pentium 350, 64 ram, SB sound card whit 4mg, Riva TNT whit 16mg, Win 98. Cheers Red Baron

(in reply to Red Baron)
Post #: 3
- 5/16/2000 7:12:00 PM   
Pack Rat

Well it sure doesn't look like a system problem, you've got the tools. I'm running AMD K6 350,128 ram,VooDoo 2 , Crystal Sound, and Win 98 first version. Win 98 is a hog!! It doesn't like to let go of ram and the like. When you try a game pay attention to the size of the battle you are playing. If it's small and it doesn't freeze, try a medium and see if it freezes, the same for a large. It may be a matter of system resources. You might try to free some up, see if that helps. Turn off some things while you play like anti-virius,maybe even the music in the game, or anything else you know is running that you don't need. Just remember to turn stuff back on.(-: Other than that maybe someone else will have some ideas. Good luck. ------------------ Peace, Pack Rat

PR

(in reply to Red Baron)
Post #: 4
- 5/17/2000 5:16:00 AM   
Pack Rat

Any feed back on your problem, it may help others. Anybody that had problems with slow games, has anyone tried freeing up computer resources? Did it work or not work? For everyone that posts there are a bunch that don't, but still read the forum. ------------------ Peace, Pack Rat

PR

(in reply to Red Baron)
Post #: 5
- 5/17/2000 6:13:00 AM   
Supervisor

I had this problem and it turned out it was a "feature" of Windows 95. I loaded the game on the "D" partition of my hard drive and assumed if I had enough hard disk space left on that partition it would work fine. Turned out the game kept freezing because I didn't have enough virtual memory available due to space available on my "C" partition. Once I made space available on "C" it worked fine. Doc

(in reply to Red Baron)
Post #: 6
- 5/17/2000 6:33:00 AM   
Pack Rat

Bless you Doc!! You've probably helped someone get it going. It might be helpful to know what the systems are that are capable of running W@W, cpu speed, cpu make, ram, video ram, Windows version, maybe harddrive space. We might get a better idea of who we can help and who we can't. Thanks again Doc. ------------------ Peace, Pack Rat

PR

(in reply to Red Baron)
Post #: 7
- 5/17/2000 7:49:00 AM   
Paul Vebber

I have tested it on my p133 4MB video 64MB Ram, 4+8GB HD machine. ITs slow, but playable. Seeming problems include overclocked CPUs, 32MB machines that share system RAM to the Video card, and as you point out, minimal space left on a C: drive.

(in reply to Red Baron)
Post #: 8
- 5/18/2000 4:54:00 AM   
Red Baron

Hi.. Still the same prob. I´v tryed just about any thing! And i have tons of space on my HD 5gb. The prob. seems to come and go. At the moment i´m playing a PBEM battle medium seized and sometimes i can play a turn whit out any prob. and sometimes it occure 10 sec. after i´v started the turn? I had the same prob. when i first got SP3 at that time i had a 486 100mhz whit 12mg ram 580mg HD, win 3.1 and 1mg video card. The times when the prob. occure it seems like the graphics is working very slow and that right from the intro screen. Regards..Red Baron.

(in reply to Red Baron)
Post #: 9
- 5/18/2000 5:05:00 AM   
Pack Rat

You may have your finger on the problem, 1 meg video ram. I haven't run 1 meg in along time. Video ram for the type of card I think you have is very cheap and pretty easy to put in, make sure you've an open space for it. I hate to bring money into the equeation but ask at a good puter store what the solution is, of course they'll probably push you to get a better card and that depends on your future plans for the puter, used ones are cheap as well. Paul can run it on a 133 but has 4 megs video. I'm guessing, it's tough with out seeing the system. Let us know. ------------------ Peace, Pack Rat

PR

(in reply to Red Baron)
Post #: 10
- 5/18/2000 5:09:00 AM   
Jon Grasham

If I am not mistaken, the game is software rendered, so video card would play a very insignificant role. May still check drivers, DX version, etc, as they can always enough problems to ruin anyones day.

?

(in reply to Red Baron)
Post #: 11
- 5/18/2000 5:28:00 AM   
Voriax

Red Baron, your system should have enough horsepower to run the game (check top of the page, Pack Rat) When the game hangs up does it give any warning? Like HD revs up, sound stutters/stops? 64 megs of memory with Win98 is a bit on the low side I think. The lack of space on the C drive was mentioned earlier..if you want to make sure you have enough swap file you could change it to fixed size, about twice the amount of your system memory. Then you could try checking the 'video bios cacheable' and 'video shadow' option from the bios, chance their values and see if anything happens. I've had only two crashes so far and I blame the arty sounds, as both times when it hung it was middle of a large arty barrage. Otherwise the game runs smoothly on my system, K6-2/300@336, 96MB, Aureal Vortex quad sound card, tnt2 32MB, Win95B Voriax [This message has been edited by Voriax (edited 05-17-2000).]

Oh God give Me strength to accept those things I cannot change with a firearm!

(in reply to Red Baron)
Post #: 12
- 5/18/2000 5:46:00 AM   
Pack Rat

Duh !! Was looking at your 486 set up, never mind (-: ------------------ Hell On Wheels

PR

(in reply to Red Baron)
Post #: 13
- 5/18/2000 5:57:00 AM   
Dave R

quote:

Originally posted by Pack Rat: Any feed back on your problem, it may help others. Anybody that had problems with slow games, has anyone tried freeing up computer resources? Did it work or not work? For everyone that posts there are a bunch that don't, but still read the forum.
Just for the record on this point. I'm running the game on my old P133 with only 32Mb of memory. Other then being a tad slow, the game is running fine and so far as stable as hell even with a very much minimum spec machine!

In times of war we see the worst that man has to offer. But we also see the best that man has to offer.

(in reply to Red Baron)
Post #: 14
- 5/18/2000 7:48:00 AM   
Pack Rat

Hey Red Baron check out the Green screen colour thread. Thanks Dave R every bit of info helps. ------------------ Hell On Wheels

PR

(in reply to Red Baron)
Post #: 15
- 5/18/2000 8:23:00 PM   
Red Baron

Thanks.. A big thank´s to all of you for trying to help me out..I have been to work for the last 20 hours and now i will go home and try out some of your surgestions..About it´s freezing up, theres absolutly no warning, but when thinking about it, most of the time has been when there has been happening a lot on the battlefield, Arty, battle and troop movements, ect..or when i rather rapidly had moved and un-of loaded troops.. I will get back to you when i have tried out some of you surgestions.. Regards..Red Baron.

(in reply to Red Baron)
Post #: 16
- 5/21/2000 4:05:00 AM   
Red Baron

quote:

Originally posted by Pack Rat: Hey Red Baron check out the Green screen colour thread. Thanks Dave R every bit of info helps.
Hi Pack Rat..And others! At last it seems to work:-) What i did was as follows; Opdated my graphics driver and lowered the refresh rate on Riva and lowered the hardwareacceleration on the Riva. And now it seems to work..At least i havn´t got any probs for the last two turns of my PBEM battle:-) Regards..Red Baron.

(in reply to Red Baron)
Post #: 17
- 5/21/2000 7:37:00 AM   
Paul Vebber

Thanks so much for the help you guys are giving! The more you guys can lend a hand like this, the faster we can get more games done :-) You guys are the best!

(in reply to Red Baron)
Post #: 18
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> It´s freezing..HELP! Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI