Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Desert Fox MC Installation Issue...

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Desert Fox MC Installation Issue... Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Desert Fox MC Installation Issue... - 8/9/2001 4:01:00 AM   
ddoutel

Can someone tell me how to prevent the Desert Fox MC Installation from installing SPWAW 5.3 over my SPWAW 6.1? In other words, how to install JUST the MC WITHOUT installing SPWAW 5.3? Thanks In Advance, HerrBaron

Post #: 1
- 8/9/2001 4:10:00 AM   
MacCready

Uninstall everything and install the mega campaign,then use matrix updates to get to current version. Cheers

(in reply to ddoutel)
Post #: 2
- 8/9/2001 4:23:00 AM   
ddoutel

quote:

Originally posted by MacCready: Uninstall everything and install the mega campaign,then use matrix updates to get to current version. Cheers
Um, that's a particularly unpalatable solution; As a software developer, I take exception to that, though I appreciate your reply in so timely a fashion! :) Is it possible to take this up with the fellow who built the install? Most, if not ALL install packages I've used over many years, including those capable of installing device drivers, are capable of detecting version and allowing the user to specify whether or not to overwrite a newer version with an older one. A simpler solution would be an option which simply disallows installation of SPWAW at all. Can you tell me who I need to take this up with? Many thanks, HerrBaron

(in reply to ddoutel)
Post #: 3
- 8/9/2001 5:15:00 AM   
MacCready

I really dont understand why you take exception to it ,since its the simplest solution to your problem. So with that sorry I even responded.

(in reply to ddoutel)
Post #: 4
- 8/9/2001 5:24:00 AM   
ddoutel

quote:

Originally posted by MacCready: I really dont understand why you take exception to it ,since its the simplest solution to your problem. So with that sorry I even responded.
I stated quite clearly that I appreciated your response. I ALSO stated the REASONS for which I take exception to the particular solution presented! There was no rancor in my reply to you. I will also state that the main reason I take exception to that solution is that I am a professional software developer and have been for many years, and I do not believe in charging my customers for something which inconveniences them to the point of having to uninstall the main package simply to install an ADDON! I will again state that there is no rancor in my reply to you; this is doubtless the solution you yourself have been presented with, once upon a time, and I appreciate your sharing it with me! That doesn't change the fact that the original perpetrator of the solution should revisit an issue of this type! I would myself if I were in that person's shoes! Again, Thank you for your timely reply! HerrBaron

(in reply to ddoutel)
Post #: 5
- 8/9/2001 5:28:00 AM   
Supervisor

HerrBaron: I can understand your disappointment with the way it has to be accomplished, but when MC was released the SPWAW version at the time was the most up to date. And to reprogram the installation procedures to accomidate such an installation takes time and money and would have surely delayed the release of the MC CD. The staff is overworked and underpayed (but not underappreciated) for the job they have been able to do with this product. Remember this until MC CD was released, SPWAW was and still is FREE. This option has been brought up to the developers and rumor has it that this option will be available in the next MegaCampaign release. [ August 08, 2001: Message edited by: gmenfan ]

(in reply to ddoutel)
Post #: 6
- 8/9/2001 6:08:00 AM   
ddoutel

quote:

Originally posted by gmenfan: HerrBaron: I can understand your disappointment with the way it has to be accomplished, but when MC was released the SPWAW version at the time was the most up to date. And to reprogram the installation procedures to accomidate such an installation takes time and money and would have surely delayed the release of the MC CD. The staff is overworked and underpayed (but not underappreciated) for the job they have been able to do with this product. Remember this until MC CD was released, SPWAW was and still is FREE. This option has been brought up to the developers and rumor has it that this option will be available in the next MegaCampaign release. [ August 08, 2001: Message edited by: gmenfan ]
Good to hear from you, gmenfan! :) I understand overworked and underpaid only too well; remember, I do what they do. As to this issue having been brought up to them, there is no way I could have known that. I do not discount the fact that SPWAW is free at all; I was amazed and delighted to find it so! However, the MC is NOT free, and if you're gonna charge for something that 'works with what you have', i.e. an addon, then it should install with watcha got in place. Again, I state there was no rancor in anything I said; if rancor was construed, then it was entirely in the mind of the beholder, as the words conveyed nothing of the sort. I have in fact only re-stated what any developer knows. In summation, it's not the cost of the 'addon', which is negligible. It is rather the principle involved. I've made overtures to Matrix (Wild Bill) with regard to helping out, stating my qualifications to do so. Wild Bill was as always a consumate gentleman in his reply, and I have hope that at some point, my offer may be seriously considered beyond simply helping out in the forums. As you've already stated, the guys are overworked; so am I, but I think I could spare the time to apply my development skills to just such a problem as this, and would be pleased to do so! I'm not just grousing; I'd be happy to implement the solution! Best regard always, gmenfan! HerrBaron

(in reply to ddoutel)
Post #: 7
- 8/9/2001 6:45:00 AM   
MacCready

No Problem,I understand.

(in reply to ddoutel)
Post #: 8
- 8/9/2001 7:06:00 AM   
ddoutel

quote:

Originally posted by MacCready: No Problem,I understand.
Thank you, MacCready! I had absolutely no intention of alienating new-found friends! Best Regards, HerrBaron [ August 08, 2001: Message edited by: HerrBaron ]

(in reply to ddoutel)
Post #: 9
- 8/9/2001 7:26:00 AM   
Supervisor

No problem Herrbaron, the installation issue was brought up a few month's ago, right after the initial release of MC and your right unless you back tracked about 3+ month's, weeding through thousands of threads ( I don't even think a search would have worked well) there's no way anyone new to the product could have none. No harm done.

(in reply to ddoutel)
Post #: 10
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Desert Fox MC Installation Issue... Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI