Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

New Campaign AAR

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> New Campaign AAR Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
New Campaign AAR - 7/26/2001 9:07:00 AM   
Alexandra

Hi all - I'm back with a new campaign AAR. This time it's the Italy-Greece campaign 'Italians at War'. Hope you all like - and note, if you haven't played it yet, all these posts might contain spoilers. Campaign AAR: Italians at War In this campaign, I'll be commanding an Italian force during the invasion of Greece. Force OOB: HQ 1 Alpini Company 1 Para Company 1 Engineer Company 1 Flame Tank Platoon (CL-35 tank) 1 Armored Car (Heavy) Platoon (Fiat-SPA 611/35) 1 Motorized AT Company (90mm guns) Notes: Due to a slight point overspill, I did not get 1 of the AT Companies trucks. Mission One: Mission: I have to take the Greek village of Perati and it's bridge, 3 hills, running to the southeast, and then another town, Kalibaki. Support Forces: 2 batteries 100 mm OBA, 2 scout sections. The plan: I will advance as rapidly as possible with infantry. The armor will suport the infantry, with the a/c's being mobile anti armor support. The AT guns will hold taken objectives, as I don't expect much enemy armor. However, I can bring them forward if need be, as they have organic trucks. I can also attack on both sides of the river and will do so. I'll use the Alpini, the flame tanks, half the AT guns, and 1 scout section to move on the north side of the river, to attack the town and bridge from the north. The remaining element of the force will deploy south of the river, with an inital objective of the northern hill, which will also cut off any defenders of the bridge. Premission: We hit the hill, as well as potential forward defense points with arty. Turn One: All forces advance - almost. As the plan hits it's first snag, we discover that the AT company tranport vehicles are too small to move the guns! We call for heavy trucks! (Normally, I don't call for reinforcements, but as I'm using the vehicle the OOB gave me, I feel justified in getting ones that will work.) Until they arrive, my reserve firepower is useless! There is no enemy contact. Turn Two: We advance. Recon elements south of the river spot enemy recon - cavalry. We call for arty, to disrupt the recon screen. *** Enemy recon movement is detected, but there is as yet no fire. Turn Three: A para squad skimishes with a recon element. The engineer's attached recon team crosses the stream. We call for more arty strikes on hill one. *** More fire at the enemy cav as enemy mortar fire lands behind the para's. Turn Four: Alpini forces are closing on Perati village. More para skirmishing, while the para scout section - well one of them - secures a wooden bridge so the a/c's can cross the stream. The engineers start to cross the stream. *** The enemy cav mills around, doing nothing. Enemy mortar fire, though, is hitting the para's now. Turn Five: The trucks arrive! Unfortunately, they are north of the river, so we need to take the Perati Bridge before most of them can move to get the AT guns. We will have two mobile guns though. Scouts pick up enemy forces in and around the bridge. Alpini forces destroy an enemy recon team. The para's start to cross the stream, and most of the a/c's get across as well. Most of the engineers are across. *** Skirmishing between Alpini recon and Greek infantry. We spot 2 Greek vehicles moving towards the Perati bridge. Turn Six: Alpini forces drive back enemy cav. The para's keep crossing the stream. The engineers are fully across, and are going to drive deep for Hill Two. *** More skirmishing between the Alpini and the Greeks. A third enemy vehicle is spotted. Turn Seven: The Alpini advance, killing another Cav Recon team. They also destroy a ground recon team. All other forces advance with no contact. *** More skimishing near the village destroys a Greek Cav squad. Turn Eight: Alpini forces push into the village, driving back two enemy squads. All para's are across the stream, and with the a/c's are moving towards Hill One. *** The enemy shells the Alpini heavily, as thier vehicles move towards the Para's, and the engineers come under sniper fire. The Alpini kill another cav recon team. Turn Nine: Alpini forces slowly push into Perati, though enemy forces are starting to resist. The lead a/c engages the lead enemy vehicle. It hits with the first shot, and the enemy crew bailed out. The next shot sent the men scurrying away and also lit the vehicle on fire. The engineers kill a sniper. *** More fighting in the village forces the Greeks back. The second enemy vehicle is engaged in close combat, and damaged, by the para's. Turn Ten: Command orders us to take the hill east of Perati, now, as well and it's added to the Alpini's orders and designated Hill Four. Alpini forces knock out an ATR team, and a flame tank kills a Greek squad. The north side of the bridge is occupied by a recon team. 3 of my a/c's work together to kill the next enemy vehicle. The last darts forward, to scout, and intercepts a column of Greek owned Italian trucks. *** Arty fire hits both sides strongly. Our advance scout car is knocked out by an ATR team. It was engaged from behind by the pretty smart team. Turn Eleven: The Alpini clear the village and the approaches to the hill. Recon teams take the bridge. My plan is to leave one squad and an ATG on the hill and one squad, the brixia teams, and the other gun in the bridge area, and to advance with all other forces. The para's drive a squad back towards Hill One. We kill the third enemy vehicle with a gas bomb but not before it kills one of my a/c's and damages a second. *** We have minor skirmishing with Greek forces all across the line. Turn Twelve: We have fighting with a squad near Hill 4. Half the hill is in our hands. Alpini and flame tanks begin crossing the bridge, and the Alpini find and kill an enemy FO team. The para's advance is strung out, mostly due to arty suppression, but they are still moving. *** More fighting with the Greeks at Hill 4 - they now have three squads in the area. We lose a flame tank to an ATR team, and they lose a squad to the para's near Hill One. Turn Thirteen: We drive back 2 squads and take Hill 4. Alpini advance over the bridge, and drive back the ATR team as well as kill a MG team. The Perait defensive forces are mostly in position. The para's destroy one Greek recon team and force another back on Hill One. *** Heavy Greek counterattacks along the front. However, they are costly to the enemy as he loses 2 squads, one recon team, and a vehicle. Turn Fourteen: A Greek squad is destroyed on Hill Four. More Alpini cross the bridge while the para's with flame tank support take half of Hill One, destroying a recon team and a squad. One to two Greek platoons are near or on the hill, however. The para's knock out a vehicle and kill an ATR team. The engineers destroy a rifle squad. *** Heavy fighting on hill one drives back two of my squads and destroys on of thiers. In the center, they launch a 4 vehicle attack, but one is quickly killed and a second immobilized. Turn Fifteen: We maul the enemy along the front. We lose an ATR team but kill one of thiers, as well as 4 squads and a vehicle. *** Enemy counterattacks cost them another squad, ATR team, and vehicle. Turn Sixteen: The fighting intensifies. Both sides lose a squad at Hill Four. In the fight for Hill One, we kill a MG team and an ATR team while we lose two recon teams. Most of the hill is in our hands, as we push two squads off it. The para's kill one enemy vehicle and immobilize another. *** More fighting around Hill One as the Greeks counterattack, but we hold. Turn Seventeen: We kill a MG team near Hill Four. We destroy two squads on Hill One, and an ATR team near it. For the moment, we hold the entire hill. An enemy sniper is also killed. *** An enemy counteattack on Hill Four costs them a squad. Para's and Engineers' come under harrassment fire. Turn Eighteen: We destroy a squad on Hill Four, and advance from One where we kill one counterattack squad and push back two more. *** The enemy loses a squad south of Hill One, and we lose the Engineer recon team in minor fighting. Turn Nineteen: We advance, driving back another Greek squad. We also knock out a 37mm ATG position on the bridge over the stream near Hill Two. *** The enemy counterattcks agressively, and loses two more squads. Turn Twenty: We advance, overrunning a squad, but lose a flame tank to an ATR team. *** The enemy skirmishes with us. Enemy cav is seen moving foward from Hill Two. Turn Twenty-One: We keep advancing, and overrun an ATR team. The advance is slow, though, and enemy resistance is strong. *** More skirmishing as the enemy continues to commit cav units to the fight. Turn Twenty-Two: Slow movement, as the enemy defends well. We kill a MG position, but make limited forward progress. Turn Twenty Three: We advance on. We overrun a 37mm ATG position, and kill enemy recon and ATR teams. Turn Twenty-Four: We overrun two more gun positions, a 37 and a 75. However, we lose an engineer squad near Hill Two. *** The Greeks destroy one of my para squads and maul another Engineer squad. Turn Twenty-Five: We push towards Hill Two and in the process destroy two enemy squads and a MG team. Turn Twenty-Six: We push onto the hill, under the cover of arty fire. Turn Twenty-Seven: Heavy fighting starts for the crest of Hill Two. *** We lose a squad in more of the incessant skirmishing. Turn Twenty-Eight: We destroy one squad on the hill and shove another back down it. *** Heavy counterattack on Hill Two is defeated and the enemy loses a squad. Elsewhere, we lose an engineer squad. Turn Twenty-Nine: We surge one the hilltop, taking it in a bloody surge that leaves three Greek and One Italian squads destroyed, and we brace for them to counterattack. *** They do counter, briefly, before falling back. I order a halt to the operation, as we lack the strength to drive further. Results: Draw: 2100 to 1772 with me as the high score. Losses: Italy: 183 men, 5 AFV. Greece: 439 men, 2 arty, 1 soft vehicle, 6 APCs.

"Tonight a dynasty is born." Ricky Proehl, then of the Saint Louis Rams. He was right! Go Pats! Winners of Super Bowls 36, 38 and 39.
Post #: 1
- 7/26/2001 11:18:00 AM   
Wild Bill

Good to see you back in the reporting business Alexandra. Reading these always makes me want to play them or play them again. Thanks for taking the time to share! Wild Bill

In Arduis Fidelis
Wild Bill Wilder
Independent Game Consultant

(in reply to Alexandra)
Post #: 2
- 7/30/2001 10:21:00 PM   
Alexandra

Here's the next one. Between missions: All armor losses were replaced. AT companies trucks were upgraded so that they could carry the guns. Mission Two. The Mission: We have been ordered to take three hills around the village of Kalibaki and secure the road beyond the town that leads to the Metsovo Pass. The hills will be designated Hills One, Two, and Three, in order of thier North to South orientation. The Plan: We will attack with three task forces. Each force will be an infantry company with 2 AT guns, 1 a/c, and 1 flame tank attached. Remaining mobile elements will become battalion reserve. Support forces: 1 battery 105mm OBA, 1 platoon 105mm SPA. Turn One: All forces advance. No enemy contact. Turn Two: No contact. We begin hitting the hills with arty. Turn Three: No enemy ground contact. We take mortar fire, and TF Three gets strafed by a British ?Gladiator plane. Turn Four: More enemy mortar fire and another a/c attack are answered by our own artillery. TF 2 comes under AA fire. Turn Five: TF Two makes conact with the defenders of Hill Two and firing begins. *** TF 2 keeps taking ineffective AA fire. TF 3 makes contact with enemy forward defenses. Turn Six: TF 3 destroys an enemy squad. All forces advance. *** More fighting, to no effect yet, in both TF 2 and TF3 sectors. Turn Seven: TF 2 drives up the forward slope of it's hill. It pushes the Greeks back and destroys one squad. It does lose a truck, however. *** TF One takes AA fire and loses a truck. The Greeks on hill two lose a MG team. Turn Eight: Fighting in and around Hill Two destroys a Greek squad. *** TF 3 loses a truck to a Greek squad outpost. Turn Nine: TF One makes contact with an outpost. TF Two pushes near the crest of it's hill, eliminating a squad while TF Three flames and dstroys the outpost. *** More skimishing on hill two drives back one of my squads. Turn Ten: TF One burns out an outpost and makes contact with a second one. Tf Two takes half it's hill and destroys two more squads in the process. TFs 2 and 3 combine elements to KO an AA gun, and TF 3 finds and engages a mortar team. Turn Eleven: TF One drives the enemy outpost back and over a ridge. TF Two secures Hill Two and destroys another squad in the process. TF Three wipes out the 81mm team, a squad, and a FO. Turn Twelve: TF One crests the ridge, wiping out the outpost squad and engaging an AA position. TF Two finds and eliminates an ATG position. TF Three finds two more mortar postions and detaches a squad to eliminate them. *** TF One loses a scout car to a 37mm ATG. Turn Thirteen: TF One kills the AA position and locates another squad. TF Three kills a mortar squad. *** We lose TF Two Flame tank to a ATR team that kills it from 300 meters away through 150 meters of woods. Turn Fourteen: TF Three kills another mortar team. TFs 1 and 3 advance. Turn Fifteen: TF One kills a squad and finds and engages a second squad, a mortar team and an Infantry Gun. TF Three kills another mortar team. *** Greek IGs engage TF 1 and a Greek vehicle moves out of the two, towards TF Two and hill two. Turn Sixteen: TF One engages two mortar teams and destroys an IG and a squad. TF Two kills a MG team. Turn Seventeen: TF One kills a squad and a MG team. Turn Eightteen: TF One starts to fight it's way onto it's hill, while TF 3 loses a flame tank to an ATG. Turn Nineteen: TF One pushes up the hill and knocks out 2 mortar teams and an IG. *** TF One loses a MG team and a flame tank - the latter to direct fire AA. Brigade HQ tells us to halt in place. Results: Draw 1250 to 1702. Losses: Italy: 58 men, 3 trucks, 3 AFVs. Greece: 237 men, 12 Arty. Comments: This scen, while fun, has some serious flaws. First, the map is too big for the timescale. My north TF, which had no contact for 3/4s of the game, still had barely made it to it's objective on a straight line. My south TF, which had hit limited, and non slowing, opposition, was a good 6 turns from being anywhere near it's objectives. Secondly, arty was overused, as was wire. If you want the player's force to have to race, and you're using troops with lower exp ratings, etc, you can't overdo the arty. Arty can be a scen killer when used, in large numbers, with low exp/morale forces, as all of us who played in the SCW League quickly learned :) The above said, I want to say that I don't think the designer did a bad job , I think the tester(s) did. Of course, being 'yelled at' after the battle for 'lack of agressiveness' was annoying, too.

"Tonight a dynasty is born." Ricky Proehl, then of the Saint Louis Rams. He was right! Go Pats! Winners of Super Bowls 36, 38 and 39.

(in reply to Alexandra)
Post #: 3
- 7/30/2001 11:13:00 PM   
Larry Holt

Great AARs, especially the constructive comments. Can you post the visability & weather in AARs? It greatly effects the way a mission is fought.

Never take counsel of your fears.

(in reply to Alexandra)
Post #: 4
- 7/31/2001 12:38:00 AM   
lnp4668

I started this campaign using only paratroops as my core forces (have to love those huge Italian cargo plane). Couldn't finish it since I tested 2 other campaigns and recently got hooked on pbem. Now you make me wants to play it again :D Well, there have been some complaint about excessive game playing at work, so my playing time is cut in half now :mad:

"My friends, remember this, that there are no bad herbs, and no bad men; there are only bad cultivators." Les Miserables

(in reply to Alexandra)
Post #: 5
- 7/31/2001 2:29:00 AM   
sinner

Excellent AAR here! Have you ever planned to paradrop your Folgore (paras) troops? Maybe this will solve your speed thing: secure objectives after the land (main) body makes contact with the enemy, drawing their reserves. Then, you can move towards the objectives with Folgore soldiers, effectively splitting the enemy forces while presenting a menacing front with the main body. Then, nearly the end of the scenario, take the objective hexes, dug-in and pray for the end of the scenario. Anyway, maybe you can change the length with the SPWaW scenario & Save Editor. Thank you for the action!

Sinner from the Prairy<br />"Thalassa! Thalassa!"

(in reply to Alexandra)
Post #: 6
- 7/31/2001 9:40:00 AM   
Alexandra

Thanks for the comment all. Larry, I'll try and remember, in the future, to add a weather/vis section to the AAR. Comments on how to make them better for you all to read are always welcome. Sniper, I don't think an airdrop woulda worked. The objectives were very spread out - the Folgore, in fact, were the center TF and so took thier hill. Given the 20mm AA all over the place, I think a deep drop would have been shot up bad, but I may be wrong :) Alex

(in reply to Alexandra)
Post #: 7
- 8/2/2001 5:56:00 AM   
Brutto-Bob

Hi, thanks for the suggestions Alexandra, but the first two scenarios are designed to achieve a draw, if you are a good commander. Italian HQ and Mussolini thinked about one easy conquest in Greece and start the campaign with fewer troops in late october. Greeks are already waiting for the attack,no surprise at all. Historically, italian troops never take Kalibaki. Greek resistance and number was strong, the poor equipped italian infantry was drained in a blood WWI's style fight and forced to withdraw soon. :p

(in reply to Alexandra)
Post #: 8
- 8/3/2001 1:47:00 AM   
McGib

Where did you d/l this campaign from Alexandra? I've looked at several sites that normally have the latest goodies but no one has this one. :(

Ready Aye Ready

(in reply to Alexandra)
Post #: 9
- 8/3/2001 2:27:00 AM   
sinner

Alex, Who is Snipper? :D All the best, Sinner

(in reply to Alexandra)
Post #: 10
- 8/3/2001 3:45:00 PM   
K G von Martinez

Sorry Sinner, but stupid as I am I don't understand your question to Alex. She mentioned only Sniper but never Snipper :D

(in reply to Alexandra)
Post #: 11
- 8/4/2001 1:15:00 AM   
Alexandra

I don't recall where I did the DL from. Maybe Tankheads's page, or Fabio's. Now, here's Report 3. Between missions: The Alpini's Brixia squads were replaced with MG teams. In addition, 2 of the A/Cs were replaced by M13/40 tanks. Mission Three: We have been ordered into defensive positions near the town of Perati. We have to hold four hills around the town, with two each to the north and south of it. A stream, and bridge, split our forces into two sectors. We also have to defend a small town to the west where an ammo dump is located. The plan: I'll use the Alpini and one engineer platoon to the north, and the para's and the other engineer platoon to the south. All armor will be held inside the town as TF reserve. The line infantry and my own AT company, will defend the west village. Attachments and Auxilery forces: 2 platoons line infantry, a 149mm battery. Weather: Hazy Vis: 950 yards. Pregame: Massive enemy smoke bombardment. Turn One: Greek forces moving in from the north. Greek arty hits the south hills. Turn Two: Enemy forces attacking from the east and north. They lose a cav recon squad. South hills are hit by arty and Gladitor aircraft. Turn Three: Arty keeps hitting our postions. We kill a scout team and a cav recon squad. Turn Four: We kill two more scout teams. We've yet to be able to get the 149mm battery in contact. *** Enemy arty fire is quite heavy, yet we repel the first major push, as they lose 2 squads, 2 recon teams, and a cav recon squad. Turn Five: We continue to hit them hard, killing 2 squads and 2 recon teams. *** The enemy is pushing hard at the southmost hill. They lose another sqauad and another recon team. Turn Six: They take most of the southern hill, and lose a FO. Turn Seven: We kill a MG team, 2 recon teams, a squad and an a/c. We retake part of south hill. *** The enemy attacks without regard to losses, and takes all of south hill. We lose an a/c, but they lose a recon team, a MG team, a squad and 2 a/c's. Turn Eight: We surge back onto south hill, retaking half of it and killing 2 infantry and 1 cav squad in the process. *** They surge forward, but make no progress and lose two squads. Turn Nine: Two more enemy squads are destroyed and we hold 3/4s of south hill. *** We hold strongly, killing a scout team, a cav squad, and 3 other squads. We're doing quite well, given the totally obscene amount of arty they have. Turn Ten: More Greeks fall as we destroy 2 squads and a scout team. We retake the hill, but lose a flametank. *** We lose a Brixia squad and a para squad as they surge back onto the hill. Turn Eleven: We've lost the entrie hill, though we kill 3 more squads, all cav, an a FO. *** We lose another squad as the Greeks' advance. Turn Twelve: We kill three more squads, two of them cav. *** As they drive in, 3 more squads fall, one of them cav. Turn Thirteen: We retake half the hill, and lose a tank, while killing the enemy HQ, and a 3rd FO. *** They sweep back up and over the hill, while losing another cav squad. Turn Fourteen: We push back onto the hill, and kill 2 cav squads and a MG team. *** During the continued enemy attack, we lose a MG team and they lose a scout team. Turn Fifteen: We kill a cav squad, an inf squad and a scout team. *** The endless waves of the enemy keep moving. They lose a cav squad as they keep attacking. Turn Sixteen: We take out two more squads, as we try to hold on. *** The assault drives on, two more squads falling. They are pushing at the northwest hill as well, but seem to be losing cohesion. Turn Seventeen: We kill 2 inf squads and 2 cav squads. *** As they keep attacking, they lose a squad, and we lose a MG team. In additon, 5 or so enemy cav troopers surrender. Turn Eightteen: We kill three more squads, have the north stabilized, and have re-taken most of the south hill once more. *** We hold as they push on. We lose a para squad, and they lose a squad and a MG team. Turn Nineteen: The north attack is mostly stopped, as we kill two more squads there. On the south, we kill a MG team. *** The enemy loses two more squads as thier attack slows. We spot an enemy tank. Turn Twenty: We kill 4 more squads and an ATR team gets an enemy tank. They have at least one more, however. *** Two more squads fall as they enemy attacks along south hill. Turn Twenty-One: We kill a tank, squad, and MG team as we retake south hill. *** One last Greek surge is relelled as they lose 2 more squads, then they flee the field. Result: Italian DV, 3769 to 520. Losses: Italy: 114 men, 1 arty, 3 AFV. Greece: 747 men, 4 AFVs. Comments: I'm quite proud of this victory. The is because, firstly, I was badly outnumbered. Secondly, my VH locations rotted, almost seeming to be as randomly placed as ones in a random map. Third, my command had to fight in two, non supporting groups, with terrain that masked the enemy's approach, and lastly because the Greeks had 3 FOs, 6!! batteries of 100mm OBA guns, and 16!!! 81mm mortar squads. That is *way* too much, especially given the low exp/morale of Italian troops. I was given no organic arty in any of the three scens, nor was I given wire in my defense while they were in both of thiers. Given that, I'm extatic at this win.

(in reply to Alexandra)
Post #: 12
- 8/4/2001 1:29:00 AM   
sinner

Wow! What a fight! Are you sure that you have Italian troops? It looked like British troops holding against averyone and their mothers! And, where did the Greeks get all that artillery fire? It sounded more like SovietArmy'45 than anything else! Sure this campaign has been designed by Wild Bill :D Salut

(in reply to Alexandra)
Post #: 13
- 8/4/2001 1:58:00 AM   
lnp4668

quote:

Originally posted by McGib: Where did you d/l this campaign from Alexandra? I've looked at several sites that normally have the latest goodies but no one has this one. :(
I'll email you the file. Can't remember where I downloaded it either. [ August 03, 2001: Message edited by: lnp4668 ]

"My friends, remember this, that there are no bad herbs, and no bad men; there are only bad cultivators." Les Miserables

(in reply to Alexandra)
Post #: 14
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> New Campaign AAR Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI