Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Ut Oh! Airstrike Funny Business again

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Ut Oh! Airstrike Funny Business again Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Ut Oh! Airstrike Funny Business again - 8/14/2001 7:43:00 PM   
Tommy

Ok Matrix guys, The airforce is at it again. The "Last Teutonic Knight" playing the Russians. I see the 1st two of the Tigers rolling eastbound on the northern most road. Great target for my Sturms!! I send all 4 Sturms, East-to-West, targeted on the #1 & #2 Tigers. Guessing that #3 & #4 are right behind, I target those hexes too. 4 straight in a row, east to west targets. The orders, via the little tagerting map, are "fly east to west". What happens? The Sturms approach from the southeast and fly northwest, targeting a location 10 hexes to the rear of the tigers!!! They don't shoot at the tigers and get whacked by the AAA. I reloaded the save game 6 times and got 6 versions of this. The Sturms refused to go after the tigers. When I played the German side of this scenario earlier, the AI sturms were on my tigers like flies. Any idea what's going on? Tommy

Post #: 1
- 8/14/2001 7:51:00 PM   
Spellbinder

Hi Tommy, did you adjust the "flight direction" before assigning the targets, or after?
If you assign the Direction after the target, it uses the default (hidden) direction
I hope this helps
Klaus

(in reply to Tommy)
Post #: 2
- 8/14/2001 8:28:00 PM   
Tommy

SB, My usual targeting sequence is: 1 decide what to hit
2 click the FO
3 click the target
4 click the direction map
5 assign a direction of attack
6 click on the attacker (Sturm)
7 click the "return arrow" to get back to the main map I might sometimes swap steps 3 & 4. If that little sequencing variation causes this error, this should be added to the "fix it" pile. Tommy

(in reply to Tommy)
Post #: 3
- 8/14/2001 9:08:00 PM   
Alexandra

They also may have not seen the tigers. It would be pretty implausible to assume that because an FO can see see a Tiger than a fighter pilot, scanning for AAA among other things, can automatically see it, as well, as he zips along. I don't know if the engine makes a/c make spotting rolls, though I'd hope it would. In any event, when a/c aren't perfect, chalk it up to the fortunes of war, and drive on. From what I've seen they hit the baddies more than freindlies, and often hit things you can't see, which I saw just this morning in a scen. I sent a pair of fighters in on a strafing run on some infantry. Lead plane noticed a mortar squad, out of LOS of *any* of my units, due to terrain and limited vis. The flight veered off, each a/c made a pass, and killed the mortar squad off Alex

"Tonight a dynasty is born." Ricky Proehl, then of the Saint Louis Rams. He was right! Go Pats! Winners of Super Bowls 36, 38 and 39.

(in reply to Tommy)
Post #: 4
- 8/14/2001 10:07:00 PM   
Tommy

quote:

Originally posted by Alexandra:
They also may have not seen the tigers. ... Alex
Alex
I thought of that; which is why I sent them straight down the road, head on with the tigers. The tigers were in the open, way in front of the AAA, the visibilty is 40 hexes. It doesn't get much better than that. Tommy

(in reply to Tommy)
Post #: 5
- 8/15/2001 12:54:00 AM   
Bing

Through all the versions of W@W the CAS pilots have always had a mind of their own, I think we can't expect much else regardless of the current version. One factor I have found that may help them actually getting to the selected target is the arty rating of the FO. Seems to me that once that rating gets to the range 83 - 85 I was getting what I actually targetted. Pilots dropping airborne troops? Another story. Bing

"For Those That Fought For It, Freedom Has a Taste And A Meaning The Protected Will Never Know. " -
From the 101st Airborne Division Association Website

(in reply to Tommy)
Post #: 6
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Ut Oh! Airstrike Funny Business again Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI