Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Finnish Brewster to be displayed in US

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Finnish Brewster to be displayed in US Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Finnish Brewster to be displayed in US - 8/14/2001 9:35:00 PM   
JTGEN

Finnish WW2 Brewster Buffalo BW372 that was lifted from a lake in Russia is sold to National Museom of Naval Aviation in Florida, according to Finnish newspaper. Unfortunately no Finnish institution could afford to pay for the sole Brewster in this planet. Now I fear that the plane will be given US markings, allthough it is suggested it may be with Finnish markings, due to its historical value. I'am just a bit sceptic about this. This specific plane was flown by Lauri Pekuri one of our best aces. http://www.elknet.pl/acestory/pekuri/pekuri.htm Here is some from the company http://www.historic-flying.com/aircraft/sale/buffalo.htm

Post #: 1
- 8/14/2001 10:45:00 PM   
Grumble

For those concerned about the threat of this unique and historic aircraft being altered to suit the sensabilities of NAS Pensacola, here's the email to write to: naval.museum@smtp.cnet.navy.mil

"...these go up to eleven."
Nigel Tufnel

(in reply to JTGEN)
Post #: 2
- 8/14/2001 10:56:00 PM   
Gen. Maczek

It would be idiotic if it was painted in Yank colours, when there were so many great Finnish aces that flew these (I've always loved the paintwork on LeLv 24 Brewsters)...
We know who to write to, so lets tell 'em to get their fingers out and make sure to paint it properly. If that doesnt work, perhaps the Finish government should make a claim that the Brewster is their property
Regards.
Gen. Maczek [ August 14, 2001: Message edited by: Gen. Maczek ]

(in reply to JTGEN)
Post #: 3
- 8/14/2001 11:31:00 PM   
Kluckenbill

Some rich Nokia billionaire needs to step to the line and bring this plane home. Seriously, it would be unfortunate if the history of the plane were diluted by improper markings, but ultimately, the new owner will make that choice.

Target, Cease Fire !

(in reply to JTGEN)
Post #: 4
- 8/15/2001 12:16:00 AM   
Supervisor

Not that I agree with this, but one has to think that whoever restores it would have to keep in mind the "swastika-like" national markings used by the Finnish Air Force in WWII. To the historically uninformed (of which, unfortunately, there are far too many) it would look like the plane was of German Nazi origin. Don't know if the use of the blue & white roundels would be historically accurate. Just something to think about.

(in reply to JTGEN)
Post #: 5
- 8/15/2001 12:22:00 AM   
Grumble

Probably wouldn't hurt for our Finnish friends to beat up their local news media about this. If the Naval Air Museum is bombarded with media requests about the ultimate resolution of the paint scheme, maybe it'll remain Finnish.

Nigel Tufnel

(in reply to JTGEN)
Post #: 6
- 8/15/2001 1:52:00 AM   
Nikademus

Given how detested the Brewster was in the States i dont think many would have a problem with the plane being in Finnish colors. Seriously though, since the plane was given to Finland it should retain those colors as part of it's historical accuracy. I'm just thrilled that a unique piece of military hardware is being restored.

(in reply to JTGEN)
Post #: 7
- 8/16/2001 4:25:00 AM   
Grumble

quote:

Mr. Collins: The National Museum of Naval Aviation has not acquired the
Brewster Buffalo you referred to; however negotiations are ongoing that
could possibly see this acquisition come to fruition. No firm plans have
been made regarding restoration or preservation and will not be unless the
aircraft becomes part of our collection. In any event, you can be sure that
the history of this specific aircraft will play a large part in any decision
that is made.

This is the reply I got from the Director of the Naval Air Museum. Apparently, nothing's in concrete yet.

Nigel Tufnel

(in reply to JTGEN)
Post #: 8
- 8/16/2001 6:04:00 AM   
Sultan

quote:

Originally posted by Al:
To the historically uninformed (of which, unfortunately, there are far too many) it would look like the plane was of German Nazi origin. Don't know if the use of the blue & white roundels would be historically accurate. Just something to think about.

Well hopefully it would cause them to become informed. The unknowing shouldnt be sheltered from the truth, they should be beat over the head with it at every chance

(in reply to JTGEN)
Post #: 9
- 8/16/2001 8:43:00 PM   
panda124c

quote:

Originally posted by Sultan:

Well hopefully it would cause them to become informed. The unknowing shouldnt be sheltered from the truth, they should be beat over the head with it at every chance

Unfortunatly beating is usually the only way to get them informed.

(in reply to JTGEN)
Post #: 10
- 8/16/2001 8:56:00 PM   
Supervisor

Sultan said... "Well hopefully it would cause them to become informed. The unknowing shouldnt be sheltered from the truth, they should be beat over the head with it at every chance..." Agreed! However, it's been my unfortunate experience that some people don't let the truth get in the way of their opinions. BTW, nice to see someone else from Nebraska here. Thought I was the only one here. I'm 50 miles down I-80 from you. [ August 16, 2001: Message edited by: Al ]

(in reply to JTGEN)
Post #: 11
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Finnish Brewster to be displayed in US Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI