Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Highway to the Reich or Korsu Pocket--Which One to Choose???

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Highway to the Reich or Korsu Pocket--Which One to Choose??? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Highway to the Reich or Korsu Pocket--Which One to Choo... - 2/7/2004 9:36:51 PM   
perpster

I have extensively read reviews and posts on both KP and HHTR. They both look great, but I only have time to learn and play one of them.

I would appreciate any advice, insights, etc. to help me choose.

My wargaming background fondly goes back to Avalon Hill games. My favorite was/is PanzerBlitz. My computer wargaming background goes back to V For Victory and Harpoon from 360 Games. I currently play the Microsoft/Atomic Games Close Combat series (CC2 ABTF, CC3 Russian Front, and CC4 Battle of the Bulge).

I would like a game that can be played without boredom versus the AI, AND versus a human opponent online or pbem.

One question I have is that there seems to be a large following for KP; is there a similar following for HTTR? I'd like to commit to a game that will still be around and played avidly down the road. For example, CC2, CC3 (and to a lesser extent CC4) are no longer even supported on the Microsoft GameZone, but it is not hard to find online opponents almost any time of the day/night. I'd like that kind of community. Does it exist in HTTR? KP?

I think my preference would be toward the smaller scale HTTR, but the reviews of KP are so overwhelmingly good (compared to somewhat mixed reviews of HTTR), that I just don't know which game to go with. Another factor to consider is that I will try to influence friends to get into computer wargaming with whichever game I choose. So, their ability and patience to learn the game are a factor, but not controlling.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Perp
Post #: 1
RE: Highway to the Reich or Korsu Pocket--Which One to ... - 2/7/2004 9:57:21 PM   
Les_the_Sarge_9_1

I have neither game, but I have played both game's pre Matrix Games incarnations, that being Red Devils and The Ardennes Offensive.

In both cases I was more than pleased. I think the only question should be which game first, as opposed to which one of one only.

But I am inclined to say pick HTTR, because Korsun is a more traditional turn user, while HTTR is a real time game that actually appears to understand real time has value if done right. I would be wanting HTTR first if it was me making the choice at least.

I LIKE that my life bothers them,
Why should I be the only one bothered by it eh.

(in reply to perpster)
Post #: 2
RE: Highway to the Reich or Korsu Pocket--Which One to ... - 2/7/2004 10:15:58 PM   
perpster

Thanks, Sarge. I'm kind of leaning toward HTTR but KP gets such stellar reviews and is in all the stores, while HTTR has mixed reviews and is near impossible to find in stores.

I really like the book/movie A Bridge Too Far, and have recently read and am watching the Band of Brothers series. I feel that HTTR would be closely connected to them, such as scale of play & familiarity with some units. Plus, I usually play CC2 ABTF. A key concern is that, as with CC2, after a while it gets pretty easy to figure out much of the AI and beat it. Most of the fun in CC series is playing head to head via internet. How easy that is with HTTR may be a decisive factor for me. I know KP is PBEM, not h2h, but I neglected to say I've played HPS Panzer Campaigns Smolensk '41 (though not for a long time) and found PBEM has its advantages, such as not having to be online at the same time. But overall I like the thrill of h2h better. I wonder how the HTTR game model stands up to h2h play (instead of versus AI).

Perp

(in reply to Les_the_Sarge_9_1)
Post #: 3
RE: Highway to the Reich or Korsu Pocket--Which One to ... - 2/7/2004 11:20:08 PM   
Hertston

As usual, it depends what you want. KP is a modern implementation of a very old game style, AA(HttR) is something genuinely new.. which you may or may not like, of course. And which scenario interests you the most ? You won't go far wrong with either.

If I had to chose one, no contest - HttR.

(in reply to perpster)
Post #: 4
RE: Highway to the Reich or Korsu Pocket--Which One to ... - 2/8/2004 1:48:54 AM   
Airborne82nd

I agree with Herston (and others). Go for HTTR. It is an awesome game. I've recently dug out and played Ardennes Offensive (KP predecessor) and am currently playing Bulge 44 (HPS). I know its old but I've never tried a John Tiller game (just bought it on EBAY). I must admit, I really like it. More of a traditional wargame.

If you like A Bridge Too Far (my favorite war movie), then you will love HTTR. Very neat, new style game system that works.

"Land Soft, Kill Quiet"

(in reply to perpster)
Post #: 5
RE: Highway to the Reich or Korsu Pocket--Which One to ... - 2/8/2004 2:17:03 AM   
perpster

Thanks to you all. The quick and honest responses convince me that both games are worthy investments, and that HTTR is probably more to my taste at present. Now if I can only find it in a store!

CURAHEE!!!

(in reply to Airborne82nd)
Post #: 6
RE: Highway to the Reich or Korsu Pocket--Which One to ... - 2/9/2004 12:39:12 AM   
Fred98

I have both games. Both are excellent.

In both cases the AI is not so good. But HTTR probably has the netter AI – or maybe I am poor player :(

I was a keen Close Combat player and continous time is my preferred mode of play so long as it is against a human player. To play against a human, both must be online at the same time.

Korsun Pocket is turn based and you can play PBEM. If you play an opponent who lives on the other side of the world, you can play any time of the evening and he will be asleep. And when you arrive home the following evening your tune is waiting for you. The turn can be played without being rushed.

Both games require you to apply the usual military principles to achieve victory.

For Korsun Pocket, each counter is approx a brigade size. For HTTR each counter is usually company size.

(in reply to perpster)
Post #: 7
RE: Highway to the Reich or Korsu Pocket--Which One to ... - 2/9/2004 7:52:19 PM   
ravinhood

Get Eric Youngs Squad Assault instead! hehe

(in reply to Fred98)
Post #: 8
RE: Highway to the Reich or Korsu Pocket--Which One to ... - 2/9/2004 11:51:56 PM   
Airborne82nd

quote:

ORIGINAL: perpster

Thanks to you all. The quick and honest responses convince me that both games are worthy investments, and that HTTR is probably more to my taste at present. Now if I can only find it in a store!

CURAHEE!!!

Found mine in a Babbages. Around 50 bucks (US) but well worth it.

"Land Soft, Kill Quiet"

(in reply to perpster)
Post #: 9
RE: Highway to the Reich or Korsu Pocket--Which One to ... - 2/10/2004 2:22:02 AM   
ASHBERY76

quote:

ORIGINAL: ravinhood

Get Eric Youngs Squad Assault instead! hehe

Nah, he should get Fortress Europe! although it seems to be hidden from the matrix site nowdays.

< Message edited by ASHBERY76 -- 2/10/2004 12:27:58 AM >

(in reply to ravinhood)
Post #: 10
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Highway to the Reich or Korsu Pocket--Which One to Choose??? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI