Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Valentine's Day Tribute

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Valentine's Day Tribute Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Valentine's Day Tribute - 2/14/2004 6:25:32 PM   
Tom Stearns

On the HttR forum several posts have popped up telling stories of gaming with wives and girlfrfiends. What better day than V-Day(pun intended) to share such stories with our brothers in wargaming.

I related one such story on the HttR forum and will kick it off with another here.

My friends and I back in the late 80's early 90's played AH's Longest Day every chance we had. We would leave it set up at one guys house and play every weekend. We teamed two German players (dividing the board) and two Allied players (Brit/American). While still dating my wife, we were driving to Houston to visit my family. After awhile the conversation waned and I became quiet and distant. This disturbed my girlfriend soon to be wife. She demanded to know what I was thinking about. Now how could I reasonably explain to her what I was thinking about without sounding like I was a nut. What was I thinking about?
The Longest Day gameboard as we had left it the last meeting. I was the Caen sector German player. I was trying to decide where to bring in the Pzr Lehr Division. Do I bring it in between St Lo and Bayeau in the Bocage like usual, or do I throw it in further west between Isigny and Caretan to prevent a link up of the American beaches?

Well she may not of understood what the hell I was talking about, but God love her she still married me.

We're gonna dance with who brung us.
Post #: 1
RE: Valentine's Day Tribute - 2/14/2004 10:00:24 PM   
benpark

Here's to 'em.

"Fear is a darkroom where the devil develops his negatives" Gary Busey

(in reply to Tom Stearns)
Post #: 2
RE: Valentine's Day Tribute - 2/14/2004 11:57:24 PM   
Les_the_Sarge_9_1

My wife long ago realised the wisdom of giving me a special room for all my hobbies.

Ok technically it IS indeed a room, although some would call it a walk in closet hehe.

Its big enough to house a set up copy of The Longest Day though. Although currently I employ it as a reading spot with a lazy boy chair. I have it shelved to the eye balls.

The deal was, I get the special room, and she controls the rest of the house ie my stuff stays in the special room.

Finding a place that can even afford to offer a secondary room is I guess something of a rarity I suppose. but it goes a long way to keeping the peace.

I LIKE that my life bothers them,
Why should I be the only one bothered by it eh.

(in reply to benpark)
Post #: 3
RE: Valentine's Day Tribute - 2/16/2004 8:34:35 PM   
John David

I am very thankful that my wife not only tolerates my hours spent with my war gameing library, but has shown intrest in the historical significants in many of them. She has watched Band Of Brothers a number of times, and has watched the complete series of both "Combat" and "Tour of Duty" , which I taped off air years ago. Over the years, she has watched them on a regular basis, many times through!

Yes, like me, she has nothing but the highest respect and appreciation for the people of the military, and enjoys learning about it too! I am very lucky!

JD

The only thing good about war, is it's ending!

(in reply to Les_the_Sarge_9_1)
Post #: 4
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Valentine's Day Tribute Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI