Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Straight out of the Academy - Don't know a f****** thing

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Straight out of the Academy - Don't know a f****** thing Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Straight out of the Academy - Don't know a f****** thing - 2/8/2004 6:52:00 PM   
Major_Mess

Good Morning all

Major Mess reporting in......................I've been lurking, lurking for years.........soaking up all the knowledge and wisdom presented here. But its time to come front and center, I'm steppin' up to the plate. I've got the keyboard tuned up - the mouse is oiled................and I'm ready to Rock.
Soon...............very soon...................I'll be ready.
I'm posted at Guadacanal right now......got some bug hunting to do, but once that chore is done, I'll be ready for an PBEM education.

Don't be gentle, lets see what the pro's are all about.

(finally got up the courage to bust down the door to this forum - I'm here now......and LOVIN' IT) - You'll find it's easier to get me than get rid of me.

Ha Ha Ha Ha

Click below. You know you want to!!

Post #: 1
RE: Straight out of the Academy - Don't know a f****** ... - 2/8/2004 10:48:39 PM   
Warrior2

Welcome. I would suggest also posting in the "Opponents Wanted" section?

(in reply to Major_Mess)
Post #: 2
RE: Straight out of the Academy - Don't know a f****** ... - 2/8/2004 11:52:39 PM   
Goblin

Welcome Major!

Watch out for our Newbie Killer....

VikingNo2. He will call you out soon, I am sure...

Goblin

(in reply to Warrior2)
Post #: 3
RE: Straight out of the Academy - Don't know a f****** ... - 2/9/2004 5:07:31 AM   
pbhawkin1

Major Mess,

You say you are posted to "Guadacanal doing some bug hunting" does that mean you are located in Guadalacanal because so am I!!!
I'm here until August. If you are able maybe we can catch up?
phone number is 3945, or peter.hawkins1@opanode.............

Peter Hawkins
CAPT
RAAMC

Regards

(in reply to Goblin)
Post #: 4
pbhawkins - oops - 2/9/2004 9:17:56 AM   
Major_Mess

sorry mate - my babbling has confused you..........I'm at the tail end of the Guadacanal campaign. Getting used to the up close I hate you style of warfare befor I dive into the deep end.

Thanks for the welcome guys, I'll be knockin on the door soon.........very soon.

Mess

(in reply to pbhawkin1)
Post #: 5
RE: Straight out of the Academy - Don't know a f****** ... - 2/9/2004 7:31:09 PM   
Capt. Pixel

Welcome Major Mess. Watch your 'Six'. ;)

"Always mystify, mislead, and surprise the enemy, if possible. "
- Stonewall Jackson

(in reply to Major_Mess)
Post #: 6
RE: Straight out of the Academy - Don't know a f****** ... - 2/10/2004 7:51:41 AM   
Wild Bill

Welcome Major. I always welcome those I outrank ;). Its okay, I'm a mess too. Ask the forum. No one is more messed up than old Wild Bill.

Good to have you with us. The Guadalcanal campaign, is that the excellent one by Bruce Hodgman or the Mega Campaign Watchtower.

And what I would give to be on the real thing, if only and assuredly only for a few days. I imagine "bug hunting" is rather easy in that place or has it changed that much.

Captain Hawkins, you are an Aussie, I assume. How is it there? Is there an airbase? Have you seen much of the area or of the locations so well known historically, such as Edson's Ridge, Red Beach, the Matanikau crossing? I heard that Henderson Field was renamed by the Japanese? Is that true.

Wish I could spend a few days with you there, Captain! Take care!

WB

In Arduis Fidelis
Wild Bill Wilder
Independent Game Consultant

(in reply to Capt. Pixel)
Post #: 7
RE: Straight out of the Academy - Don't know a f****** ... - 2/10/2004 10:20:18 AM   
pbhawkin1

Wild Bill,
Yes I am an Aussie (champion of the Down Under Tourney we had last year actually!!!).
I am a doctor in the army (RAAMC), currently doing 6 months in the Solomon islands (as part of the Regional Assistance Mission to Solomon Islands (RAMSI)) in support of the multi-national police force here restoring law and order after some internal troubles.
I very much am aware of the history and place names here.
I flew into "Henderson International Airport"!! on a Hercules.
Am staying at Guadacanal Beach Resort (taken over by militart/police but hasn't operated for a number of years) which is on Lunga beach 300 metres up from RED beach!
I have done the 6 kilometre walk to Bloody ridge (as seen in thin red line I believe) and have tripped over old WW2 barbed wire near my tent as well as seen numerous metal airfield matting strips from the original Henderson runway.
I will try to include 2 pics, one of Henderson terminal (plus all the army stuff from a Iroquis) and one of Bloody ridge...hope they work.

Regards

Peter

nope despite having them reduced to only 8 bit jpegs (ie about 50kbts).

Regards

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 8
RE: Straight out of the Academy - Don't know a f****** ... - 2/10/2004 6:44:17 PM   
Jackk

Just a comment:

If you've been lurking for years, you can't say you "Don't know a f****** thing ".

I lurk alot more than I post and I can say I've read reams of information, tips, hints, tactics, etc over the years.

So, welcome to posting you new-old-timer!

Jackk "Smile today cuz tomorrow may really suck"

(in reply to pbhawkin1)
Post #: 9
RE: Straight out of the Academy - Don't know a f****** ... - 2/11/2004 9:30:59 AM   
Major_Mess

Good Evening Col. Wilder

I'm playing Bruce's campaign - you're right - it's excellent. Intense action My God - my front line squads are out of ammo, the arty barely slows them down....... and they still keep coming.
I love it.

Until next time

Mess

(in reply to Jackk)
Post #: 10
RE: Straight out of the Academy - Don't know a f****** ... - 2/11/2004 9:06:48 PM   
Major_Johnson

Hey Warrior, think I should give this new guy a lesson?? :)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Warrior

Welcome. I would suggest also posting in the "Opponents Wanted" section?

M.J.!
We serve others best when at the same time we serve ourselves.

(in reply to Warrior2)
Post #: 11
RE: Straight out of the Academy - Don't know a f****** ... - 2/11/2004 9:20:47 PM   
Svennemir

Seems to be a lot of lurking going on.

(in reply to Major_Johnson)
Post #: 12
RE: Straight out of the Academy - Don't know a f****** ... - 2/13/2004 9:06:33 PM   
Wild Bill

Good hunting, Major. I hope you will try the MC-Watchtower. That would be right up your alley. I'd love to get some AARs from you, Mate.

We are glad you are here and appreciate your participation. You are among friends so no worries!

Wild Bill

In Arduis Fidelis
Wild Bill Wilder

(in reply to Svennemir)
Post #: 13
RE: Straight out of the Academy - Don't know a f****** ... - 2/14/2004 10:01:33 AM   
Major_Mess

Thank You Wild Bill for your kind words of encouragement.
You know, I'd love to try any MC - but I got to ask you - How do you find time to play? Between Job - Wife - Child - Sports - Pub - Life - Sleep - I got barely 10 minutes of free time a day, and thats only if I sluff a bunch of things.
In spite of all that, over the last few years I've logged 100's of hours with this game, playing the campaigns.......checking out the scenarios....and I feel that I've barely scratched the surface. It boggles me that there are others more deeply commited than I. God.....I can't commit to any other huge undertaking like a MC at this time. Let me win the lottery, and then I'm in like a bear.
However.................I arranged a meeting with my C.O., I explained that it would only be about an hour a day, and that it will make the world a better place. Clearance was given to be released from barracks and to head in-country. (She says to me "this isn't one of those internet Chat Rooms is it? Those are nothing but trouble!! You'll end up talking to sketchy women").
I've got a challenge from a Mr. Kanonefutter.........my intel on this guy is pretty weak, but what I got indicates that this guy goes for the gusto. I'm going to hail him right now - see if he's still up for it.

Wish me well - I'm going In.

PS - I'll start an DAR/AAR Report for my first game, I've always enjoyed reading the other postings (eg: wasting time at work), maybe some good will come from an eye-witness account of an FNG's first attempt at getting blooded.

Mess

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 14
RE: Straight out of the Academy - Don't know a f****** ... - 2/17/2004 6:45:16 PM   
Wild Bill

Keep us posted, Major...WB

In Arduis Fidelis
Wild Bill Wilder

(in reply to Major_Mess)
Post #: 15
RE: Straight out of the Academy - Don't know a f****** ... - 2/18/2004 6:09:38 AM   
BruceAZ

Welcome! Look out for WB's scens or campaigns as he is the master and they will drive you crazy! Four things to remember with his games: 1) Always use over-watch when you advance; 2) Watch your flanks; 3) Yup, those are mines... ; and 4) Buy more recon units!

Recon
Semper Fi

(in reply to Major_Mess)
Post #: 16
RE: Straight out of the Academy - Don't know a f****** ... - 2/20/2004 1:02:08 AM   
Wild Bill

Thanks, Recon. You know me too well. Time to put in something new. Let's see if this old dog can come up with some new tricks.

WB

In Arduis Fidelis
Wild Bill Wilder

(in reply to BruceAZ)
Post #: 17
RE: Straight out of the Academy - Don't know a f****** ... - 2/21/2004 5:43:56 AM   
VikingNo2

Hey Major Mess how about a game, don't listen to Goblin he gets irratable when he hasn't rubbed M4s feet in a while

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 18
RE: Straight out of the Academy - Don't know a f****** ... - 2/23/2004 7:10:58 AM   
Huffy

boy...this "major Mess"...he is very confident...makes me want to take him on....and I don't even know how to do the e-mail game thing.....my friends and I always play LAN...or over the net....
Hmmmmm....some time Mess...you, and I could see.....! all in fun!...ok...I like the US...you?
Yes...I read this...and replied ,...while having a few...but ..I am ok...bear in mind...the only real time I have to play are on the weekends..Sat-Sun nights,,..after the kids go to sleep..
Boy oh boy...this sounds so good....and this Vik2 guy...we'll get to him also.....
Take care all,
Huffy

< Message edited by Huffy -- 2/23/2004 12:14:34 AM >

(in reply to VikingNo2)
Post #: 19
RE: Straight out of the Academy - Don't know a f****** ... - 2/23/2004 7:25:05 AM   
VikingNo2

Huffy I believe we have tangled before

(in reply to Huffy)
Post #: 20
RE: Straight out of the Academy - Don't know a f****** ... - 2/23/2004 7:32:59 AM   
Huffy

we did?...When...on SPWAW?...not being a smrt a--....just don't remember....and I really only play LAN or Direct IP...???
Huffy

(in reply to VikingNo2)
Post #: 21
RE: Straight out of the Academy - Don't know a f****** ... - 2/23/2004 7:35:48 AM   
VikingNo2

I could be wong I have played so many pm me with you email address if I have it we have played

(in reply to Huffy)
Post #: 22
RE: Straight out of the Academy - Don't know a f****** ... - 2/23/2004 8:10:55 AM   
Huffy

seems I am having a problem here.....did you get my "PM"?
Huffy

(in reply to VikingNo2)
Post #: 23
RE: Straight out of the Academy - Don't know a f****** ... - 2/23/2004 9:40:36 PM   
Major_Mess

Hello Huffy -

I've already bitten off more than I can chew - truth be told, what I just bit is gonna bite back real soon. I've got a couple of games on the go right now, when I'm clear I'll shoot a rocket your way........see if I (PBEM rookie) can entice you (you say a Real PBEM rook) to a game.

Until Later,

Major Mess

(in reply to Huffy)
Post #: 24
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Straight out of the Academy - Don't know a f****** thing Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI