Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

mcse question

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> mcse question Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
mcse question - 3/23/2004 6:35:01 AM   
rich12545

Just finally got started playing after finishing (don't laugh) a Neverwinter Nights xpack.

Are glider pilots considered combatants, are they good for fighting or should they just stay out of the way? Can they all somehow be combined into one squad?
Post #: 1
RE: mcse question - 3/23/2004 10:46:49 AM   
Resisti

quote:

ORIGINAL: rich12545

Just finally got started playing after finishing (don't laugh) a Neverwinter Nights xpack.

Are glider pilots considered combatants, are they good for fighting or should they just stay out of the way? Can they all somehow be combined into one squad?

There is no "merge" feature in Spwaw.
As far as I know, gliders' crews found themselves in combat rather frequently, in the very early stage of the invasion, that's why they are in certain MegaCampaigns' battles.
As for how effective they are for combat, well, the best way is to check what they are armed with :)

Federico "Resisti" Doveri

(in reply to rich12545)
Post #: 2
RE: mcse question - 3/23/2004 5:05:55 PM   
plloyd

The glider pilots are armed with SMGs and sometimes a grenade. Since they come in 1s and 2s, I used them more as scouts and rear guards. I don't think it is wise to deliberately put them in the way of a regular combat unit.

If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly.

(in reply to rich12545)
Post #: 3
RE: mcse question - 3/23/2004 5:48:57 PM   
rich12545

After posting I thoought of using them as scouts to find the enemy but I thought that would be kind of gamey. In real life they were highly trained and were kept pretty much out of harm's way after landing so they could be used again. That's probably what I'll do.

(in reply to plloyd)
Post #: 4
RE: mcse question - 3/24/2004 12:25:57 AM   
Wild Bill

Exactly. They are small units, easily killed and must be used with care. Historically, glider crews, especially pilots, were ordered to get to the read (if there was a rear!), and report to an HQ unit.

Naturally, this was easier said than done. The Army wanted to avoid training more pilots and use the same ones again in the future. Thus they were a valuable commidity.

In MC-SE they are armed as described and probably will have to fight (as did the real ones). I remember the story during the last big drop of a group of glider pilots (usually officers or non-coms) that formed their own unit and fought effectively. As has been said, "Never were so few commanded by so many."

Use them, Rich. You'll probably need them and a few more besides

WB

In Arduis Fidelis
Wild Bill Wilder
Independent Game Consultant

(in reply to rich12545)
Post #: 5
RE: mcse question - 3/24/2004 4:02:21 AM   
Major Destruction

Going only from memory but I recall that American gliders had one pilot- who was unarmed. British gliders had two pilots.
The British pilots were all sergeants and once on the ground they formed their own independent platoons.
Independent is the operative word. They didn't answer to any regular army commands and squads decided on their own objectives after a form of huddle. They were armed with just about any weapon they chose and being sergeants they probably managed to pilfer whatever was at hand.

The glider could carry only so many infantry men. For every glider that landed safely there were 2 pilot sergeants. Add an extra 10-20% to the landing force and make them NCO's and the effect on manpower is dramatic. And besides, when airborne infantry land they are usually surrounded so it isn't as though those pilots are going to be evacuated soon.

They struggled with a ferocity that was to be expected of brave men fighting with forlorn hope against an enemy who had the advantage of position......knowing that courage was the one thing that would save them.

Julius Caesar, 57 BC

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 6
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> mcse question Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI