Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

T34 with a bloody nose...

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> T34 with a bloody nose... Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
T34 with a bloody nose... - 9/28/2001 11:57:00 PM   
asgrrr

I had a disconcerting experience last night. During indirect bombardment, a T34/85 tank waiting in the jump off position was hit by an 81mm mortar shell. The shell hit the front hull (NOT the top, let me be clear about that) and destroyed the tank completely (and a company commander's vehicle at that). This so affected my morale that I was almost tempted to give retreat orders in the opening stages of a battle.
Now, an 81mm mortar shell is given a penetration value of 29, while the front plate of this tank is 47 mm thick. Angle is ignored as this is HE. Is such an occurrence within the boundaries of chance? (Obviously it is, but was the margin intended to be so great?)

Never hate your enemy.
It clouds your judgement.
Post #: 1
- 9/29/2001 1:17:00 AM   
Warrior

Killing tanks with an 81mm mortar is not commonplace, but it happens enough so I will always target them with my 81's, just in case I get lucky.

Retreat is NOT an option.

(in reply to asgrrr)
Post #: 2
- 9/29/2001 1:47:00 AM   
Paul Vebber

You were probably the victim of a vulnerable location hit...it divides the armor value by two. Spalling off the inside of a poor casting wrecked havoc...

(in reply to asgrrr)
Post #: 3
- 9/29/2001 2:08:00 AM   
Larry Holt

Perhaps the driver had his hatch open and a fragment went in. When a tank is in ready state (as those at the beginning would be) hatches are open. This aids in spotting but you may have seen an obvious disadvantage.

Never take counsel of your fears.

(in reply to asgrrr)
Post #: 4
- 9/29/2001 7:53:00 PM   
nexus

quote:

Originally posted by Penetrator:
I had a disconcerting experience last night. During indirect bombardment, a T34/85 tank waiting in the jump off position was hit by an 81mm mortar shell. The shell hit the front hull (NOT the top, let me be clear about that) and destroyed the tank completely (and a company commander's vehicle at that). This so affected my morale that I was almost tempted to give retreat orders in the opening stages of a battle.
Now, an 81mm mortar shell is given a penetration value of 29, while the front plate of this tank is 47 mm thick. Angle is ignored as this is HE. Is such an occurrence within the boundaries of chance? (Obviously it is, but was the margin intended to be so great?)

not very uncommon. i killed last game 2 t34/85 with 75mm arty shells... it´s okay like it is.

Greetings Frank

(in reply to asgrrr)
Post #: 5
- 9/29/2001 8:12:00 PM   
Truckeye

has it ever been discussed (cant imagine it not) about the possibility of killing off crew on unbuttoned tanks with small arms? also voluntary buttoning if thats the case? is this in our future or even in that of CL?

In the Last days its said the Lion will lay down with the Lamb. Even on that day, I would want to be the Lion. Ben Gurion

(in reply to asgrrr)
Post #: 6
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> T34 with a bloody nose... Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI