Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Units That Don't Use Orders

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Units That Don't Use Orders Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Units That Don't Use Orders - 5/27/2000 12:16:00 AM   
Charles22

I mentioned on a post in another thread, how I've noticed my scouts don't use orders in movement (though they may in changing stances). I'm not all sure about this, but I have a platoon of three 'recon' tanks and two regular ones. It seems as though any unit with a 'recon' type tag on it, will not use orders to move (even one hex at a time), and perhaps the same applies to changing their stances. I thought at first that it was a feature only for scouts, but after studying this platoon, it seems as though the recons aren't using orders to move, and the regular tanks are, though the original platoon, when purchased, was pure recon (or perhaps more correctly, light tank, though the unit description screen lists them as recon for type class). If all recon tanks don't use orders, it could possibly be a good idea to have more than one platoon with one or more recon tanks, in order to be able to have a tank inch along against infantry, and know it never uses orders in doing. Considering that recon tanks are able to spot hidden units better, I think it would be quite natural, particularly because of cheap cost, particularly when you have no other means, to use these as mine detectors. Which leads me to another question. While I understand that faster moving tanks are less apt to spot things, I ask if anyone knows whether a tank actually benefits in manuvering through a known minefield (or unknown for that matter) slowly? What I'm asking, is if there's a provision in the game for this?

Post #: 1
- 5/27/2000 1:28:00 AM   
Dave R

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Charles22: [B]I mentioned on a post in another thread, how I've noticed my scouts don't use orders in movement (though they may in changing stances). I'm not all sure about this, but I have a platoon of three 'recon' tanks and two regular ones. (snip) Yeah that's right Charles. It was one of the standered things in SP3, any reccy unit hase full freedom of movement

In times of war we see the worst that man has to offer. But we also see the best that man has to offer.

(in reply to Charles22)
Post #: 2
- 5/27/2000 1:47:00 AM   
Charles22

I sure did miss a lot by not reading that manual in detail. Anyone know if creeping tanks going through minefields, actually stand a better chance of going through them unscathed?

(in reply to Charles22)
Post #: 3
- 5/27/2000 2:28:00 AM   
Wild Bill

Yes they do, Charles. Slow, deliberate movement through any hostile terrain increases a least a little bit your chance of survival. A jump of three or more hexes can be very fatal. The idea is that the slow moving unit (tank or infantry) is carefully looking around as it moves. You'll find that you'll spot enemy forces quicker this way too. You can download a copy of the SP3 Manual in PDF format from the download section on the SPWAW page if you need it now. Wild Bill Michael made a special effort to see that this worked well in the game. Wild Bill ------------------ Wild Bill Wilder Coordinator, Scenario Design Matrix Games

In Arduis Fidelis
Wild Bill Wilder
Independent Game Consultant

(in reply to Charles22)
Post #: 4
- 5/27/2000 3:21:00 AM   
Charles22

Thanks, I have the real manual, it's just that I only browsed through it. I believe, when I played SP3, I never used C2, and now that I do, I can see it makes planning much more necessary, and also, should give recon units more importance then I hereto suspected. Given what you said about one hex at a time, I would suspect that the tank unit, if told to go 5 hexes, might find itself at speed 10, but if going to the same hex, one hex at a time, would maybe find itself at speed 4, once there, correct? BTW, are halftracks considered recon?

(in reply to Charles22)
Post #: 5
- 5/27/2000 3:31:00 AM   
Paul Vebber

"recon" is a capability given to a formation. All teh units in a formation with teh "recon" special flag are given the "recon ability", which is- They do not need objectives and are always capable of moving 360 degrees. Always crest a hill with a recon unit first, it can run away, a "regular" unit may get "stuck" if out of orders. They spot 50% better than other units and are harder to spot themselves. IF you give a Company formation Recon ability , it only affect the UNITS (not subformations) - you have to give component subformations recon ability seperately.

(in reply to Charles22)
Post #: 6
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Units That Don't Use Orders Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI