Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Yugo bites - need help

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Yugo bites - need help Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Yugo bites - need help - 10/13/2001 11:27:00 AM   
brianleeprice

Just recieved the Desert Fox MC last week, dived right in, skipped the optional battles and went right to the first battle. Major victory then hit by the Yugo bug Tried again... decisive victory... Yugo bug I emailed Paul Vebber asking for the version 7 beta upgrade a few days back but haven't heard anything. Any chance someone could either email a copy or ftp it or something? Thanks

Post #: 1
- 10/13/2001 3:07:00 PM   
Halgary

I'd really appreciate if someone could send that upgrade to me too. I'd have something new to do while this flu passes.

(in reply to brianleeprice)
Post #: 2
- 10/13/2001 7:05:00 PM   
Alby

"I emailed Paul Vebber asking for the version 7 beta upgrade a few days back but haven't heard anything. Any chance someone could either email a copy or ftp it or something?"
Come to think of it, havnt seen any of the matrix staff posting anything here or replying for some time, maybe something big is going on?? [ October 13, 2001: Message edited by: Alby ]

Post #: 3
- 10/13/2001 7:17:00 PM   
Ross Moorhouse

The Matrix guys at the top of the Matrix tree are flat out busy with all the games we have in the works..

Ross Moorhouse

Project Manager
www.csosimtek.com
Email: rossm@csogroup.org

Post #: 4
- 10/14/2001 12:34:00 PM   
brianleeprice

Yeah I appreciate the fact that the staff must be busy as heck with the repeated delays in the 7 patch release evidently due to one problem or another and with LV due out soon along with everything else they're working on. That's why I appealed to those of you in the community who already have the 7.x beta patch to send me a copy so I could get past this 'Yugo' bug. Unfortunately either I picked a really bad time to ask for help or there's some agreement I'm unaware of not to redistribute the 7.x beta patches. I refuse to believe that a community of wargamers would otherwise refuse to help a newbie out. While I understand the problems, it *is* frustrating as all get out to have a great game that you just got and can't play due to a bug that has been at least partially fixed if you could just lay your hands on a patch

Post #: 5
- 10/14/2001 4:21:00 PM   
john g

quote:

Originally posted by Brian Price:
Yeah I appreciate the fact that the staff must be busy as heck with the repeated delays in the 7 patch release evidently due to one problem or another and with LV due out soon along with everything else they're working on. That's why I appealed to those of you in the community who already have the 7.x beta patch to send me a copy so I could get past this 'Yugo' bug. Unfortunately either I picked a really bad time to ask for help or there's some agreement I'm unaware of not to redistribute the 7.x beta patches. I refuse to believe that a community of wargamers would otherwise refuse to help a newbie out. While I understand the problems, it *is* frustrating as all get out to have a great game that you just got and can't play due to a bug that has been at least partially fixed if you could just lay your hands on a patch
I am one of those who got the beta to test since I was one who got hit with the yugo early on. Remember this is not a finished patch, this was a unstable test version to be used for sharing the save games with Matrix in tracking down why it happened. In case you haven't noticed there have been a relative lack of posts by Matrix employees the last week or so. They are most likely finalizing the v7 release, not passing out more beta versions. Do you want to start with a beta just to have to start over again when the real release gets out? My beta release is 7.0b6, I have seen mention of 7.b11, I have no idea what version the final release will be derived from. My reports to the other members of the beta team have slacked off, but I still test things off and on, just to see what is different from previous versions (I started playing back with v1.0). Realize that part of the delay with v7 is getting it to work with the third mc, since there were issues with landing craft. When all three mc are working fine then I think you will see v7. I know to get the enjoyment out of mcna I'll have to restart when v7 gets released. Do you want to have to do the same? Another consideration is that if you have v7beta installed you are pretty much cut out of the pbem or online battle community, with 6.1 you can at least fight others while you wait to do the campaign.
thanks, John.

Post #: 6
- 10/14/2001 9:01:00 PM   
Halgary

I wouldn't really need the patch at the moment, just the v7.0 OOB's. *cough!* Anyone? Please? [ October 14, 2001: Message edited by: Halgary ]

Post #: 7
- 10/14/2001 10:34:00 PM   
brianleeprice

quote:

Originally posted by john g:
I am one of those who got the beta to test since I was one who got hit with the yugo early on. Remember this is not a finished patch, this was a unstable test version to be used for sharing the save games with Matrix in tracking down why it happened. In case you haven't noticed there have been a relative lack of posts by Matrix employees the last week or so. They are most likely finalizing the v7 release, not passing out more beta versions. Do you want to start with a beta just to have to start over again when the real release gets out? My beta release is 7.0b6, I have seen mention of 7.b11, I have no idea what version the final release will be derived from. My reports to the other members of the beta team have slacked off, but I still test things off and on, just to see what is different from previous versions (I started playing back with v1.0). Realize that part of the delay with v7 is getting it to work with the third mc, since there were issues with landing craft. When all three mc are working fine then I think you will see v7. I know to get the enjoyment out of mcna I'll have to restart when v7 gets released. Do you want to have to do the same? Another consideration is that if you have v7beta installed you are pretty much cut out of the pbem or online battle community, with 6.1 you can at least fight others while you wait to do the campaign.
thanks, John.

I've been making my living as a programmer since the late '80s when I switched careers so yeah I well understand the nature of beta versions. As far as the beta version goes I would prefer the b11 but the b6 version would be one whole heck of a lot better than what I have now. I wouldn't be starting MC DF over when release 7 comes out unless there turned out to be other cat 1 or showstopper type bugs in the beta affecting MC DF. Since I have plenty of HD space, it should be quite easy to install and run multiple versions of SP:WAW so I'm completely unconcerned at the prospect of having a v6.1, a 7.11b, and a 7.x release versions all installed on my machine, using each for a different purpose. In any event I'd need to do so for any ongoing pbem games when 7 came out unless it had 100% backwards compatibility - even then it's unlikely you'd want to switch horses in mid-game. I've been through similar situations with other multiplayer strategy/wargames over the years and have used the multiple installation version solution many many times. I'd really prefer access to 7.11b, albiet with appropriate warnings such as you've given, and the opportunity to make my own informed choice on the upgrade path to follow. As it stands now I have an unplayable game that I've purchased and no certain knowledge of how long a wait will be required for an 'officially approved' fix. Hopefully as Matrix matures as a company they won't make this type of PR fubar any longer. If you ship a product with serious bugs, give the customer the option to make an informed decision about using beta patches as a temporary fix until the final fix is available and make those beta patches publically available as promptly as possible since by shipping a product with bugs the customer is turned into an involuntary beta tester anyhow. That said, as a longtime member of a very successful online strategic gaming community, I'll say this - regardless of the actions of Matrix as a company - what makes or breaks a good game is its online community. It can either make things easy and enjoyable for newcomers, be quick to help fellow gamers with problems, or become stagnant and unresponsive. Games always have bugs, developers are always under pressure, and companies are always understaffed - if the game's online community picks up the slack, providing guidance and assistance to newcomers and fellow gamers, a game will be far more successful and the issuing company will be far more likely to pay attention to the needs and desires of the community due to its ever increasing buying power. Simple economics. [ October 14, 2001: Message edited by: Brian Price ]

Post #: 8
- 10/14/2001 10:47:00 PM   
Mark Ezra

You might want to update you email address...

All Hail Marx and Lennon

Post #: 9
- 10/14/2001 10:58:00 PM   
brianleeprice

quote:

Originally posted by Mark Ezra:
You might want to update you email address...
Hmm, I made my email addy public on the profile here shortly after posting the initial message in this thread - it's brianleeprice@hotmail.com - if hotmail's attachment size is a problem I do have another, better, email address but am unwilling to make that available publically due to spam bots. (More than happy to make it available privately though.)

Post #: 10
- 10/14/2001 11:21:00 PM   
john g

quote:

Originally posted by Brian Price:
Hmm, I made my email addy public on the profile here shortly after posting the initial message in this thread - it's brianleeprice@hotmail.com - if hotmail's attachment size is a problem I do have another, better, email address but am unwilling to make that available publically due to spam bots. (More than happy to make it available privately though.)
Anyone desperate enough to run a spam bot over this message base is welcome to the email addresses they get. Most users here are the sort of cheap charlies that complain about a free game, they sure aren't going to spend money in a spammers direction. Yes the attachment limit of hotmail's mailbox could be a problem (which is why you might not have gotten a beta, assuming you asked Paul V. nicely for it.) I disagree that the game isn't useable, you need quite a bit of practice before going in and advanceing thru the mc. Unless of course you prefer to get draw after draw after draw. Play a few scenarios, like G's Last Ride, when you can win that as the Germans, you have learned something about thinking outside the box and can solve some of the puzzle battles in the mc. Even v6.1 is lightyears ahead of what SP3online was. Get used to the game system first.
thanks, John.

Post #: 11
- 10/14/2001 11:36:00 PM   
brianleeprice

quote:

Originally posted by john g:
Anyone desperate enough to run a spam bot over this message base is welcome to the email addresses they get. Most users here are the sort of cheap charlies that complain about a free game, they sure aren't going to spend money in a spammers direction. Yes the attachment limit of hotmail's mailbox could be a problem (which is why you might not have gotten a beta, assuming you asked Paul V. nicely for it.) I disagree that the game isn't useable, you need quite a bit of practice before going in and advanceing thru the mc. Unless of course you prefer to get draw after draw after draw. Play a few scenarios, like G's Last Ride, when you can win that as the Germans, you have learned something about thinking outside the box and can solve some of the puzzle battles in the mc. Even v6.1 is lightyears ahead of what SP3online was. Get used to the game system first.
thanks, John.

I used my 'good' email address when contacting Mr. Vebber so that's not it. I really suspect that delays from that angle are due to the (quite understandable) workload and time constraints at Matrix right now. When speaking of game usability - let me clarify - the non-mega campaign game is quite usable and I've been enjoying the 6.1 version for quite awhile now - otoh the DF MC is not playable for me beyond the first scenario due to the reoccurant 'Yugo' problem. Along with the occasional crash to desktop it makes playing it rather pointless. As far as practice, etc - my first attempt at El Alghelia (sp?) resulted in a victory albiet not a decisive one - I find the campaign matches my skill level quite nicely. I've played many of the scenarios along with the WWII campaign, the Long long road campaign, and a dozen or so inet games vs other players so I believe I'm really quite ready to play the mega campaign. But whether I'm ready or not is beside the point. I'd really appreciate some help obtaining the 7 beta. FWIW I've been contacted privately by other DF purchasers who are in the same situation as I am.

Post #: 12
- 10/15/2001 1:07:00 AM   
brianleeprice

Just a followup - many thanks to a fellow gamer and veteran forum member who sent me the necessary patch. Thanks - now where'd those brits run off too....

Post #: 13
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Yugo bites - need help Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI