Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

ASL and SPWAW?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> SP:WaW Training Center >> ASL and SPWAW? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
ASL and SPWAW? - 3/26/2004 5:42:52 AM   
Adamo

Just wanted to know if ASL (the WW2 hex-based board-wargame) is similar to SPWAW in it's scope and gameplay. I realize it's hard to compare a boardgame with a computer game but I think you know what I'm asking.

The reason why I bring this up----I was in a 'game' store today and I saw a bunch of old wargames from Avalon Hill and I asked about ASL and the clerk said that Avalon Hill is no longer in business and I said that it may have somthing to do with the popularity of wargames on the PC. And he said: 'No way! A computer game cannot match the depth and scope of a board game!' I wanted to tell him about SPWAW and a few others but I just said 'Oh, really?'

Just wanted to know if a game like ASL is that much more detailed than say, a game like SPWAW!

adam

(( I realize this is probably not the proper forum for this but I value the opinion of lots of you guys so I posted it here, sorry))
Post #: 1
RE: ASL and SPWAW? - 3/26/2004 6:06:14 AM   
stevemk1a

Just speaking for myself, I would say that it does ...

I used to be an avid ASL player, but lack of opponents, space, and time made it hard to play. A number of years ago I bought a computer, and found computer wargames as a very convenient way to indulge in wargaming. I love Spwaw (and some other computer wargames) and I feel it has great depth and scope, but it's a different experience ... I actually play exponentially more human vs. human games on the 'puter than was ever possible with cardboard and puched counters.

I also feel that computer wargames offer as great a depth as boardgames, but with boardgames you get a intimate understanding of the mechanics (because you have to calculate them , which, I suppose gives them a different kind of depth, as Computer wargames can perform a lot more mathematical number crunching than a guy with dice, a pencil, and some charts.

There's still a lot to be said for having a few beers and playing a boardgame face to face tho ... If you've never tried it, you're missing out on something.

Listen closely .... I think I hear Les the Sarge tromping this way!!

(in reply to Adamo)
Post #: 2
RE: ASL and SPWAW? - 3/28/2004 6:03:31 AM   
Klinkenhoffen

I originally got into Steel Panthers as it was a close computer version of Squad Leader.

But yes I still prefer to play as a board game. I 've just got back into Squad Leader after a long break.

Have a look at www.vasl.org

Klink

< Message edited by Klinkenhoffen -- 3/28/2004 2:04:16 PM >

It's all gone horribly wrong !

(in reply to Adamo)
Post #: 3
RE: ASL and SPWAW? - 3/28/2004 10:59:50 AM   
Gavris Narcis

Did somewhere the boardgame ASL and all the expansions/addons still exist for buying ?
A link will be great. And any infos about that wellcome.

Leo.

(in reply to Adamo)
Post #: 4
RE: ASL and SPWAW? - 3/28/2004 11:09:31 AM   
Klinkenhoffen

hello Gravis Narcis,

www.multimanpublishing.com

some of the components are out of print but they are assuring everyone that they will be reprinted soon.

Klinkenhoffen

It's all gone horribly wrong !

(in reply to Gavris Narcis)
Post #: 5
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> SP:WaW Training Center >> ASL and SPWAW? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI