Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

The Amazing! NC Ammo Truck

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> The Amazing! NC Ammo Truck Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
The Amazing! NC Ammo Truck - 10/17/2001 8:24:00 AM   
Capt. Pixel

Has anybody else noticed that the NC Ammo Truck has a carry capacity of 218. This is a dandy little unit, drag along a howitzer and a couple of Mortar teams (with buit-in transport/ammo replenishment), and you've got onboard Arty that can't be beat. Keep them near your A0 and they'll stay on contact and fire forever and a day.

"Always mystify, mislead, and surprise the enemy, if possible. "
- Stonewall Jackson
Post #: 1
- 10/17/2001 8:42:00 AM   
Redleg

I hope this and any others like it will be caught and eliminated from the OOBs. Redleg

(in reply to Capt. Pixel)
Post #: 2
- 10/17/2001 9:06:00 AM   
john g

quote:

Originally posted by Capt. Pixel:
Has anybody else noticed that the NC Ammo Truck has a carry capacity of 218. This is a dandy little unit, drag along a howitzer and a couple of Mortar teams (with buit-in transport/ammo replenishment), and you've got onboard Arty that can't be beat. Keep them near your A0 and they'll stay on contact and fire forever and a day.
I just checked the v7 oob I have and it was still there back in August. Of course there is a problem in that the unit 230 that is bought with the ammo carrier purchase is not an ammo carrier, it is a heavy truck, an ordinary heavy truck. It should have been unit 229 (which is the ammo carrier.) If you did buy one you would be sad to learn that the trucks seemed to be all out of ammo to distribute. They can carry units but not resupply them. Anyone who wants NC ammo carriers should edit their oobs to unit 229 not 230.
thanks, John.

Post #: 3
- 10/18/2001 7:40:00 AM   
Capt. Pixel

Interesting - they seem to reload my units ok. All types, even ACs.

- Stonewall Jackson

Post #: 4
- 10/18/2001 8:20:00 AM   
john g

quote:

Interesting - they seem to reload my units ok. All types, even ACs.
They don't reload mine, strange, at what rate do they reload ammo for you?
thanks, John.

Post #: 5
- 10/21/2001 10:43:00 PM   
Capt. Pixel

13Z - I agree, it's obviously an error. But, even if not used as transport, they offer an inexpensive alternative to one's own country ammo trucks. I haven't found the low NC leadership value (and consequently low cost units) to create any operational problem with ammo trucks. JohnG - I'm using ver 6.1. I drafted several sample forces (US, GE, SO) to check reload rate for the NC ammo truck (and several others, too) - for infos sake, here are the reload rates for ammo trucks in general (empirically derived): Mortars(rounds per turn per truck)
60mm - 6
81mm - 5
120mm - 4
Howitzers
75mm - 3
up to 155 - 2
over 155 - 1
Rockets
BM-8 - 3
All others - 1 Ammo dumps reload at twice the truck rate and proximity (adjacent or same hex as ammo) doesn't seem to affect the reload rate with either dumps or trucks, or affetct the rate of fire for the Gun/Mortar. Something else that seems strange for all ammo reload sources is that they each can reload an apparently unlimited number of tubes in a single turn. I tried four Hummel platoons being reloaded by two adjacent ammo trucks, and they kept all 16 Hummel fully reloaded! That seems a bit much to ask of a couple of ammo truck crews. Perhaps this anomally can be modified in one of the newer releases.

- Stonewall Jackson

Post #: 6
- 10/24/2001 8:22:00 AM   
tracer

quote:

I tried four Hummel platoons being reloaded by two adjacent ammo trucks, and they kept all 16 Hummel fully reloaded! That seems a bit much to ask of a couple of ammo truck crews. Perhaps this anomally can be modified in one of the newer releases.

Hey, I want ammo trucks like that! I had 4 nebelwerfers and placed a pair next to each of my 2 ammo trucks...they resupplied at 1-2 rounds per turn. I tred the same setup with 75mm howitzers and had similar results. All units were unspotted, not firing and had zero suppression. Do I just have lazy crews, or are you paying your guys 'by the piece'?

Jim NSB

Post #: 7
- 10/28/2001 5:35:00 AM   
Capt. Pixel

I've found that the reloading sequence only occurs after your artillery phase. Any rounds fire during the opponents artillery phase, (delay of 0.3+) will not be reloaded before the beginning of your turn. As a result, if you do a lot of firing with long delay times, the ammo resupply is going to appear to come up short. (ie. if you lob one round in your phase and four rounds in your opponents phase, only one round of ammo will be reloaded before your next turn)
I've also noticed that the number of rounds an artillery unit fires over the course of one whole turn is one to three higher than the ROF listed in the encyclopedia. (mortars seem to get even one more round over howitzers/guns)

- Stonewall Jackson

Post #: 8
- 10/29/2001 6:35:00 AM   
achappelle

Question in this resupply vein:
Does the experience of the gun crew or ammo dump/truck have any impact. I haven't noticed any, but, haven't really done any serious testing.

"Molon Labe" - Leonidas @ Thermopylae (Come Get Them!!)

Post #: 9
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> The Amazing! NC Ammo Truck Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI