Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Big Battle

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> SPWaW AAR/DAR >> Big Battle Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Big Battle - 4/13/2004 1:23:29 AM   
mine_field

It is I, the unknown German leader, versus the reputable VikingNo2. My orderly reports that the date is 8/1944 (amazing how drinking helps you forget the date--orderlies are invaluable for reminding you of these little facts), visibility is roughly 1100 meters (vis 22), and the battle is expected to be a large one, with each side bringing nearly 9300 points to the battle. I'll ask my orderly later what the hell these 'points' are. We are bringing in the typical 10% of total force in artillery.

The battle field is open, scattered with small knolls, with 5 dirt roads forming an "H" with two extra "-"'s across the middle. The map is large enough that it scrolls down quite a ways. The deployment limits are close together, so I expect things to get hot quickly.

Place your bets now. Choose your side to root for. I won't be posting anything that might jeopardize my chances, but perhaps I'll post something more in depth after the battle over. I can post a kill list as we go along, if I have any.
Post #: 1
RE: Big Battle - 4/13/2004 9:13:48 AM   
VikingNo2

You should have lots of kills the British tanks are a tad light, I lose a recon car to a 88mm AT gun on my first turn. Recon screen fans out

(in reply to mine_field)
Post #: 2
RE: Big Battle - 4/13/2004 9:28:59 AM   
minefield

I should be sleeping. I'm not sleeping. Damn the sleep.
I placed that 88mm ATG there as a welcome mat. Welcome!

I've asked my underlings what "fan out" means, and they informed me it was to run away with your tail between your legs.

Well, I do admit you lack a bit of meat around those guns, but don't despair, I'll end up doing something stupid like not setting priority strike hex's. Good thing I didn't do that this game.

never cross a minefield

(in reply to VikingNo2)
Post #: 3
RE: Big Battle - 4/15/2004 2:46:19 AM   
minefield

Most of Vikings troubles currently deal with immobilized units. Had a golden opportunity at taking out a cromwell VII (maybe that's the wrong numeral) with a broadside shot (or 8), but they all missed. My units had to travel too far to get into shooting position. Viking is doing a good job of keeping his units out of sight and out of mind. Well not out of mind. My troops mind them very much.

never cross a minefield

(in reply to minefield)
Post #: 4
RE: Big Battle - 4/15/2004 9:19:17 PM   
minefield

It's now turn 4 and things are starting to get interesting. The map is 100 by 120 with 9000 some points. Daimler Dingos and ACs are all over the place. The shells of kuebelwagens give them company. Armor is popping its head out now. StuG's and Pz IV's are hunting down those Daimlers while Cromwell's (VII's and IV's), Staghound's (I's and II cs's), Sherman V's, M3 GMC's, and the like are hunting the kuebelwagens.

We go now to Sgt. Hummel who is reporting from the field.
Things are getting nasty out here sir. British commandos have snuck into the northern VH's and within paces of other VH's. The VH ratio right now is 5 British to 8 German, not counting the back field clusters. This ratio keeps swinging back and forth with every half round as light British and German units scoot up to the northern VH's. Ahh, we're just getting some good news in. Sgt. Kaptain reports that two Dingo's have been removed from this world at the northern contest. The 120mm mortars killed two of the commando's, so it looks like the Brits will have to show some steel if they want to hold on to the top. It is open territory up there, and we are having a bit of trouble spotting one or two scouts that are hiding in the grass. The line of 17 pdr guns supported by Bren's continues up and down the map. Looks like we have a runner from 2Lt Musser.
Reporting in. Central VH's taken early--held with an iron fist. Some commandos are harrassing our vehicles, but there is little threat in this sector. Having trouble spotting a MG sitting on a small ridge to the south, despite countless units around.
Very interesting. Let's see what is happening in the south. These VH's are on the British side of a ridge. Their forces took this early and it has been difficult to contest. However we are putting heat on the Dingo's, AC's and the Cromwell nearby. Our scouts continue to look for the armor group that is at the ridgeline southwest of the main hill. The local commander in that region, Sgt. Dittrich, reports that success is inevitable, it just will take time to maneuver around / over / through that hill.
Remember boys, those three clumps of VH's are per turn. Holding them is the same as getting kills.

Casualty reports are coming in.
German Forces
-----------------
Mercedes-Benz----1
Kuebelwagen------13
In addition, a couple of half tracks and a recon team aren't reporting in currently.

British Forces
-----------------
Daimler Dingo-----3

This is indeed a dispointing ratio. The reports I have been receiving seemed more positive than this tally.

never cross a minefield

(in reply to minefield)
Post #: 5
RE: Big Battle - 4/16/2004 7:09:23 AM   
VikingNo2

You can hear the old theme from space invaders in the back ground as the forces close

Kingtigers are spotted in several places across the front

A few more cars a poped and a halftrack, almost forgot got my first tank kill a Pz-IVj I think

(in reply to minefield)
Post #: 6
RE: Big Battle - 4/16/2004 11:54:14 AM   
minefield

Yes that was a Pz IVJ. First shot with an ATG. I'm so mad. The reports of the middle being held with an iron fist neglected to say the approaching hand had a anti-iron fist gun.
At least I'm spotting a few units now. I was getting tired of playing on an empty map.
VH Ratio: Germany 7 British 6
Losses:
Germany
PzIVJ
some more of those 3 point wagens

UK
err not much. occasional man here and there. The Daimler AC up north is still abandonend.

The Brits have an annoying supply of SP Mortars. Pinning one of those down on the map is about like trying to pin down a president at a congressional hearing. And those damned 2in mortar teams could walk into my mess hall and have breakfast without ever being seen.

never cross a minefield

(in reply to VikingNo2)
Post #: 7
RE: Big Battle - 4/16/2004 7:44:54 PM   
VikingNo2

Not much this turn, a few more cars, and I spotted tanks in the double digits but I can't tell you where

(in reply to minefield)
Post #: 8
RE: Big Battle - 4/16/2004 11:12:16 PM   
minefield

I need to get a real kill in order to feel like I'm doing something. Maybe you can leave one of those Cromwell's sitting out again. I thought I was going to have a GMC but it pulled back. Just remember, wherever you see 12 tanks, there are at least another 12 nearby
I did kill one of those pesky 2 in mortar teams. Wondering how I'm supposed to get into the southern VH. Maybe I'm not supposed to.

Here is the situation:

..B..................---......
..R................./...\.....
..I................/.....\....
..T...............|..\....|...
..I...............|...\...|...
..S..........VH...|....\..|G..
..H..........VHVH..\...../.E..
...............VH...\.../..R..
.....................---...M..
....../....................A..
...../.....................N..
...../.....................Y..
..../.........................
..../............./----\......
...X.............|......|.....
...\.............|......|.....
....\............|......|.....
....\.............\----/......
.....\........................

If I go in between the hills he can get me from the left ridge. Going over the VH hill is just as bad. He has nothing but a bit of infantry out in the open, so I know the armor is waiting for targets.

never cross a minefield

(in reply to VikingNo2)
Post #: 9
RE: Big Battle - 4/17/2004 5:57:21 AM   
minefield

The fighting is fierce up north. The open terrain has made the battle to be concentrated with infantry. The few armored pieces I send up there are getting picked off. We gained 50 meters in the area, but the 4th VH remains in British control in that area.

Center VH's remain in my control despite heavy shelling.

Southern VH's remain in Viking's control.

His words were, "I finally killed some of those snipers, but it's going to cost me."
Unfortunately I wasn't able to take advantage of the exposed units as he would've in my place.

He continues to take out my wagens and recon. Nothing significant of his has been taken out yet. I consider it a victory when I can see the darn things.

VH Ratio Germany: 8 UK: 5
Anyone know when or how per turn victory points are dealt out? Is it at the end of a specific turn, or at the end of each of our turns?

I need some work on my artillery. His is doing well though.

never cross a minefield

(in reply to minefield)
Post #: 10
RE: Big Battle - 4/17/2004 9:02:28 PM   
mine_field

Sgt Strauch reports the northern VH's have been secured. For how long is anybody's guess. Heavy losses up there due to long range tank and ATG fire. We are trying to push back the scouting units.

Southern VH's report the smoke screen opened up some room for movement. No push for VH's yet.

Center VH's report status quo. Trying to dislodge a commado group from the houses that are nearby. One halftrack reports that during retreat they ran head first into a building. Furniture is being dislodged from the undercarriage.

Stug reports destroying a truck up north. Still no tank kills yet.

VH Ratio: 9 for Germany and 4 for UK
Losses: Germany is losing a staggering amount of soft and lightly armored vehicles. Infantry is taking moderate losses. Recon has suffered heavily. Couple of tanks down.
The Brits have most of their force, although they are having trouble getting into attacking positions.

< Message edited by mine_field -- 4/17/2004 2:08:17 PM >

(in reply to minefield)
Post #: 11
RE: Big Battle - 4/17/2004 10:21:26 PM   
VikingNo2

No much to report, seems my opponent has figured out he has smoke. I would say learning has accured

That was a very nice drawing in the earlier post

< Message edited by VikingNo2 -- 4/17/2004 10:25:55 AM >

(in reply to mine_field)
Post #: 12
RE: Big Battle - 4/18/2004 4:36:22 PM   
Belisarius

I applause your l337 ASCII mapmaking ski11z, mine_field.

Got StuG?

(in reply to VikingNo2)
Post #: 13
RE: Big Battle - 4/19/2004 10:50:57 PM   
minefield

Thanks for the compliments about the map making. I'll admit though that I cheat and use a program called Email Effects by Sig Software. To make a map without having to put a non-space character, just use the 'code' button around the text. Oh, and change the font to mono-spaced courier.

As for the battle, I'm back in town and will have the action rolling again soon. Viking, in his own way, is right about me learning. Hopefully I can make something of that smoke. I didn't put it there just for the guys to enjoy.

never cross a minefield

(in reply to Belisarius)
Post #: 14
RE: Big Battle - 4/20/2004 12:58:10 AM   
minefield

Seems all hell has broken loose. I now have two smoke screens. One in a U formation in the north surrounding the northern VH's. The open end of the U is towards the east, where I am. The other is between the two hills in the east that is shown in the earlier ascii picture.

Viking's forces moved forward on several fronts this round. He lost a Halftrack to Stug fire. He has exposed his units in an attempt to take the northern and meddle VH's. Artillery is very heavy. He continues to persecute my recon units.

-- After Replay-- --German Moves--

We took out the Daimler AC that took 3 VH's from us. We have the northern VH's secured again. We have spotted an ATG, infantry, and a halftrack nearby. We need to move fast to setup a defense for the coming assualt.

I know where he saw my tanks now. A friggin commado group moved behind one hill and managed to see over a ridge up north. Very sneaky... We pushed back both infantry squads advancing on the center VH's. YES! I got a M3 75mm GMC. I'm sure he'll get revenge though.

The smoke in the south has allowed movement, but any forward advance results in combined arms op-fire. Did I mention I'm smoke happy now?

His artillery took out one of my prime movers between rounds. The 5.5 inch is really hurting. I can learn a lot about artillery by watching Viking.

Per Turn VH Ratio: Germany 9 British 4

< Message edited by minefield -- 4/19/2004 6:02:30 PM >

never cross a minefield

(in reply to mine_field)
Post #: 15
RE: Big Battle - 4/20/2004 5:10:35 PM   
minefield

It's an ugly replay for the Germans. Attacks on infantry inflicted great losses. Artillery lands everywhere.

--Germany opens a can of whoop ass--
Ok men, our current objectives stand as follows: secure the northern VH's, clear out the approaching men near the central VH's, and find a way into the southern VH's. Report your progress.

Sgt. Albrecht reporting on northern progress. Infantry and lmg's all around, but no sign of armor. Repositioned units, couldn't push forward this turn. VH's still taken but not secure.

Sgt. Krogel reporting on middle. They have spotters to the south that are looking up and behind our main ridge. We are persecuting them with great vengence. Nothing but a Daimler AC and infantry spotted. They are positioning ATG's and LMG's beyond our ridge. They might be moving tanks in.

Sgt. Schoen reporting for the south. We just took out a M3 75mm GMC. Working on some more targets. Spotters have moved into the south and are looking behind our smoke screen. They are a priority target. Request artillery.

****. Lost vehicles to his artillery. Damn those M5 HT's.

never cross a minefield

(in reply to minefield)
Post #: 16
RE: Big Battle - 4/24/2004 3:29:25 AM   
minefield

Not in a writing mood so forgive the DAR.

North VH continues to sway back and forth between flag colors.

Center remains mine. I pushed back some commandos.

South remains squarely Viking's. It is going to be tough to go over that hill and live.

never cross a minefield

(in reply to minefield)
Post #: 17
RE: Big Battle - 4/24/2004 9:20:38 PM   
minefield

Viking's offensive continues to ensure that I don't make even 50 meters of progress in the south. There is a large infantry push from him in the north. Artillery continues to pound my positions.

--German Turn--
If we can't get any ground piecemeal, let's see what we can do with a rush...

Southern VH's: With the loss of a StuG (he had a good los position), We managed to defeat a Sherman V and take the VH's. We are exposed but in numbers. Maybe he will just see this as a lot of targets...

Middle VH's: A 6 pdr gun is taking potshots at my men. A kingtiger managed to remove a cromwell iv from the threat list. Hurah! We still hold the VH's but we are taking losses from artillery, ATG's, and vehicles that sneak up.

Northern VH's:
Still standing. Infantry nearby.

--End of turn--
I hate those 5.5in offboard artillery rounds. The halftracks aren't nice either.
lots of retreating going on. I hope I'm doing ok. Been a while since last round and I'm not so clear that I've taken care of everything.

never cross a minefield

(in reply to mine_field)
Post #: 18
RE: Big Battle - 4/25/2004 12:45:42 AM   
VikingNo2

The German push on all fronts, return fire claim 4 or 5 tanks one of them being a Kingtiger, hte Germnas drop lots of smoke, the orders have been give to start up all Britsh armor now that smoke has negated the long range german guns

(in reply to minefield)
Post #: 19
RE: Big Battle - 4/25/2004 3:00:27 AM   
minefield

Now he shows up to tell about the battle. Yes; I'm getting my ass handed to me during this counter attack. I still don't know how to attack without taking a lot of losses.

never cross a minefield

(in reply to VikingNo2)
Post #: 20
RE: Big Battle - 4/25/2004 3:39:46 AM   
minefield

I have the VH's again. However I'm taking losses. Man do I hate per turn VH games.
Anyway, he hasn't lost much in the way of firepower. I'm still getting slaughtered by 17 pdr guns on fireflies and ATG's. The artillery takes about 5-10 of my infantry per round. What is a leader to do?

never cross a minefield

(in reply to minefield)
Post #: 21
RE: Big Battle - 4/25/2004 9:37:51 PM   
VikingNo2

A few more Germans die, I plunked a couple shot off a Kingtiger, i will have some 17lbs in place soon to make a bigger plunk hopefully

(in reply to minefield)
Post #: 22
RE: Big Battle - 4/27/2004 10:04:09 PM   
minefield

My optimism is gone for the game. I think I can still pull off a decent score but I'm losing tanks too fast.

Viking has positioned his 6 pdr and 17 pdr guns in such a way that it is difficult to move my troops. Plus he just laid smoke for an advance. It seems he let me wear myself out before throwing the brunt of his resources at me.

I am learning a lot. I still have a lot to learn. I think I have managed well against my first game against Viking. Maybe Viking can be a better judge.

The northern VH's are not fully taken. I still have the center ones quite secure although he continues to test me there. The southern vh's are a real blood bath. His infantry is stuck too far south without armor support and his armor is further north without infantry support (well, not much...). I can't take advantage of this except in the slaughtering of some infantry. Like I said, I'm losing tanks very quickly. Viking must know a lot about LOS because he sets up his guns to cover one or two hex's that I would need to move into in order to take a shot. He leaves his tanks just outside of my range. He is baiting me for sure.

It is about turn 15 out of 30 currently. Any bets?

never cross a minefield

(in reply to mine_field)
Post #: 23
RE: Big Battle - 4/28/2004 8:15:46 AM   
VikingNo2

Well my friend just because you don't see any tanks in the south doesn't mean they aren't there

Four more tanks die in the north, and the Vhexes are retaken, in the south a few Vhexes are retaken but a larger force of Stugs are just a few hexes away, ofcourse they got a little attention from some mortars

I think I may have to get some reinforcement soon but I don't remember what we agreed upon anymore

(in reply to minefield)
Post #: 24
RE: Big Battle - 4/28/2004 5:26:47 PM   
minefield

Um, you can get reinforcements now. I think you said turn 10.

never cross a minefield

(in reply to VikingNo2)
Post #: 25
RE: Big Battle - 4/28/2004 6:04:25 PM   
minefield

This last turn was extremely ugly. If it were a hand-to-hand fight, then I just had my back broken. He is slaughtering my tanks. The whole battle gives me some ideas for different strategy in upcoming games, but I'm at a loss to how to turn the tide in this battle. I doubt the VH per turn points are enough to save me. We will stick it out though. Call in reinforcements perhaps.

--German Turn--
Momentum is crushed in the north.

Center is held.

South is contested.

--End of Turn--

never cross a minefield

(in reply to mine_field)
Post #: 26
RE: Big Battle - 4/30/2004 12:47:44 AM   
VikingNo2

Five Stugs die this turn one in the north and four in the South the Souther Vhexes are retaken, the postions of a couple of 88s and other AT guns are noted and plotted as future targets

(in reply to minefield)
Post #: 27
RE: Big Battle - 5/2/2004 5:26:38 AM   
minefield

As one can imagine by Viking's smiley face, he has begun the 'slaughter at Vire', my new title for this battle. I just hope it isn't too one-sided for his tastes.

Anyway, I have given up on winning this battle and am concentrating on learning from my esteemed opponent. Viking is good; he knows the game and knows how to play it. He gives you very little room for error and rarely presents himself for attack. My main lesson from him is to never leave your tanks exposed. Even with infantry support Viking can surgically remove that unit from the game.

One question for him: do you use auto-rally? I always wondered if it was wise to automatically take infantry out of pinned status.

The north is half ours again. I never was able to take the Southern VH's for more than a turn. We will see about that. The center seems to be left alone. A reallocation of resources would be wise at this point.

A 75 mm gun motor carriage goes up in smoke behind the central VH hill.

I am too suppressed in the south to do much. I did manage to fire off about 7 rounds at a daimler ac with no success. Probably not a wise idea to take those shots since my ATG's are spotted now.

never cross a minefield

(in reply to VikingNo2)
Post #: 28
RE: Big Battle - 5/2/2004 10:33:23 AM   
VikingNo2

Yeap I leave the auto rally on, I really don't do anything special years of looking an plotting on maps have given me the ability to see lines of sight well in the top down view. 3 Pz-IVs and another Stug are killed this turn I should have gotten two more but the crew of the tank got to excited and broke the main gun, then a Firefly forgot it was the baddest Britsh tank on the field and did its best Matilda imitation

(in reply to minefield)
Post #: 29
RE: Big Battle - 5/3/2004 8:30:02 PM   
minefield

Well the South is a lost cause for me. I'll upload a picture in a second.

The middle sees a Daimler AC blow up. Whoop-de-do. I want to see a cromwell go up. I still feel the need for revenge after those KingTigers went up in smoke.

The north is a tug of war; currently we are losing. They have all the flags.

I'm running out of armor on all fronts. I am still learning though. Hopefully I will be able to keep this from being a completely one-sided score.

never cross a minefield

(in reply to VikingNo2)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> SPWaW AAR/DAR >> Big Battle Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI