Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

PBEM AAR, Belphegor vs. Oleg - OLEG thread

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Modern] >> FlashPoint Germany >> After Action Reports >> PBEM AAR, Belphegor vs. Oleg - OLEG thread Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
PBEM AAR, Belphegor vs. Oleg - OLEG thread - 11/29/2004 2:21:04 AM   
Oleg Mastruko

Allright people...

Belphegor and me are among the beta testers that enjoy this fine game a lot, and we just finished playing our first "complete" PBEM scenario, to the very end. It was a great game.

We decided to post out next PBEM game here as public AAR, and some kind of "teaser" for all those that visit this board wanting to see some new info. Hope these posts prove something DOES happen with this game, that it is enjoyable, and being polished on a daily basis.

OK, this game relies a LOT on "sneakiness", and not being detected. Posting an AAR for both sides in the game in same thread on the board would make no sense, because we would both be seeing what the other guy is doing. That would be senseless, even in a "friendly" match like this, as this game relies on FOW much more than any other game that springs in my mind right now.

SO, what we are going to do, is post AARs in two separate threads. One thread will be mine, the other Belphegor's. Idea is I WON'T be peeking in his thread, and he won't be peeking in mine - we are disciplined and fair enough I hope - and we would both be posting what we do in our respective threads.

Guys reading these threads should be respectful of that, and not post anything that would ruin the "secrecy" of this AAR. As far as I am concerned, you can post anything in "my" thread, ask anything you like, comment, et cetera, as long as you don't ruin the secrecy of Belphegor's moves. Likewise, don't post anything about my whereabouts in "his" thread.

We'll be starting tomorrow I hope, after we download the latest beta build, decide upon which scenario we will play, sides etc. Hope this idea works, but if we decide or are forced to stop the AAR after first few turns, don't throw stones at us We're just lowly beta testers, volunteers, and have families and work yadda yadda and we also play games other than FPG

This, I hope, is the last post in this thread Belphegor will see until we finish the game ) Belphegor, feel free to open "your" thread next to mine (I won't look into it) and lets start....

O.

Post #: 1
RE: PBEM AAR, Belphegor vs. Oleg - OLEG thread - 11/30/2004 1:32:51 AM   
Oleg Mastruko

Turns 0 and 1. OK, I never played this scenario before so this should be interesting... I play the NATO side or more specifically US, elements of US V Corps, this is the short briefing for this scen:

US V Corps
Scen 1 - Meeting of Titans
Norderfurt
May 7th 1989 - Day 1 @ 1000 hrs

The well-founded fear that the Americans would
form the backbone of the NATO forces opposing
them led the Soviets to allocate the majority of their
electronic warfare efforts against the US V Corps.

The resulting foul-up in NATO communications
delayed the dispatch of the US 11th Armored
Cavalry Regiment to defend the critical river
crossing point of Norderfurt and by the time the
Americans arrived at the river the Soviets had
secured the city and were preparing for a further
offensive to the west.

That was the briefing, this is me again.

I am not very familiar with US cavalry unit designations (squadron, troop...), so don't sue me if I call them in more usual terms batallion, company etc.

I am given command of one US Arm Cav battallion:

A Coy: two 4xM1A1 Abrams platoons, two 6xBradley platoons, one 2xM106 SP mortar plt
B Coy: two 4xM1A1 Abrams platoons, two 6xBradley platoons, one 2xM106 SP mortar plt
C Coy: (AWOL, not on the map)
D Coy: three 4xM1A1 Abrams platoons
Two Air Cav helo troops, Cobra+Kiowa helos in each
Battalion arty: 8xM109 SP howitzer

I don't see any off-map artillery in this scenario, which is bad news. Not having off map arty means I can't use my favorite FASCAM mines to own the map.

I have problems assessing mission briefing (I said there's going to be bugs "showcased" in this AAR as well), but one look at Staff summary (pic below) makes it clear that I need to control sector No. 6 at all costs, having sector 1 would be fine too, and if I manage to get hold of sector 12, that would mean complete defeat of WP forces (presumably). All other sectors are worth 0 points.

Points in this game are also awarded for destroyed enemy vehicles etc. but more on that later.

O.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Oleg Mastruko -- 12/1/2004 2:39:03 AM >

(in reply to Oleg Mastruko)
Post #: 2
RE: PBEM AAR, Belphegor vs. Oleg - OLEG thread - 11/30/2004 1:39:36 AM   
Oleg Mastruko

Turns 0 and 1 cont'd. My turn 0 is pre-game setup, when I am given the opportunity to put my units in place to await WP onslaught (but I can do so only in pre-designated area in top left of the map).

Using the key L I check the LOS (line of sight) for most of "hexes" (I'll call them hexes although they are not hexagonal) in my setup area. Using the key E I check the elevation for each hex in my setup area. Pic below shows the map with both E and L (for selected hex) turned on. As you can see, although the hex 16,15 has elevation of only 2, it has excellent LOS on the road below stretching to the SE, so I decided to put one of my M1A1 platoons there. In this pre-game setup, turn 0 phase, I can pick the "posture" for each unit, and naturally I pick "Dug in" for this platoon, using the handy popup menu in the game UI.

Using the method(s) explained above I set up my remaining units as visible on screen below. D Coy is given task of protecting my left flank using the forest on top of hill to the North.

Helos, which can be very deadly, I decide to keep hidden at back, at start. Helos, of course, can't be dug-in, but they can be in "covered" (hug the ground) or "exposed" posture. I keep them covered of course.

So this is my setup. I'm not too happy with the map, it's too "open". You may think I put too much of my (limited) battle assets up front, but that's because they can start the game dug in. I want them dug in and covering possible avenues of WP approach. I don't want them dug in in the rear, and then to have to "un-dig" them to counter attack the contested area after WP already entered it.

All my units are dug in, except for battallion arty, and HQs, which are only just covered as to be able to change their positions quicker if needs be (he can detect my arty and HQ units using EW assets and drop arty fire on them, so they must be prepared to move). Exception is Coy D HQ which is dug in in the forest to the N.

All dug in units are given "Hold" orders. Helos are given Screen orders. Too bad I don't have any dedicated recon assets in this scenario.

Players can change doctrine for every unit on the map, at any given time (there's option to "lock" doctrines at start, and be unable to change them during the game but we don't use it in this game). Not to go into too much detail over doctrines in this post, lets just say I ordered all my M1A1 units to open fire at very long distance (4000m), Bradleys are to open fire at 4000m as well, though I planned to put them on 3000m (their ATGM is rated as being effective at 3750m). Opening fire at 5000m would be ineffective for both weapons (M1A1 and M3).

Opening fire too soon may blow your cover and draw arty on your head, but then again, NATO targeting devices are much better than WP and I think sooner I begin to put hurt on advancing WP units, the better. I've seen hits at enormous distances in this game (hard to say how realistic it is, since WW3 never happened, but that's how it is in this game).

More features will be showcased and explained in future posts.

With everything in place I click "End" and my first orders phase begins (Turn 1).

In this particular game I do nothing in turn 1, since I am defending, and I am pleased with how my units stand after turn 0 pre-game setup phase.

O.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Oleg Mastruko -- 12/1/2004 2:39:29 AM >

Post #: 3
RE: PBEM AAR, Belphegor vs. Oleg - OLEG thread - 11/30/2004 10:56:38 PM   
Oleg Mastruko

Turn 2. OK turn resolution for me started by hearing menacing rumbling of tank engines - enemy is obviously on the move.

Enemy SP unit was spotted and 3/A platoon (Bradleys) opened fire at the distance of roughly 3,5-4kms, scoring 6 hits, using TOW ATGMs and 25mm autocannon. SP unit promptly disappeared (most probably because it's doctrine was set to avoid direct battle). My arty reacted by dropping some shells on the last known enemy SP unit position (arty is semi-independent if you put it "on call" or on "counter battery" orders, they will react whenever they deem appropriate and have link with HQ). Arty scored nothing.

Strange that enemy SP arty unit was the first unit spotted - I guess Belphegor didn't expect my units to be so near him, and he thought he can move his vulnerable SP arty assets freely? That's what good field of view will do to you.

See pic below. Note the turn resolution timer in the top right corner.

O.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Oleg Mastruko -- 12/1/2004 2:39:50 AM >

Post #: 4
RE: PBEM AAR, Belphegor vs. Oleg - OLEG thread - 11/30/2004 11:00:47 PM   
Oleg Mastruko

Turn 2 continued. More rumbling of tank engines was heard, and next enemy Mech INF unit was spotted. No less than three of my dug in units opened fire: first 4/A platoon (Bradleys on the left) scoring 3 hits (ATGMs), then 3/A platoon again, killing three more (ATGMs and autocannon). M1A1s of the 1/A platoon fired too, but I think there were no targets left for them as the enemy unit was annihilated already.

Entering the hex which is observed by three dug in enemy units with full ammo is suicide in this game. He paid for it, but now he knows where my most advanced units are. They are dug in and will be costly for him to dislodge, so I don't plan to move them unless he forces me to do so.

I also received the "missing" C Coy as reinforcement - I reported that I was unable to read the mission briefing so I simply assumed I'll have to make do without them but here they are - finished their beers in local German village pub and arrived when the **** hit the fan.

I ordered them to move towards my advanced positions. Since I don't expect enemy to be anywhere near, I ordered them not to use stealth movement (so as to be able to move faster, when you suspect enemy is near you are recommended to use "stealth movement" - slower, but harder for enemy to spot). Other units I leave as they are (dug in and positioned to look for enemy in sight).

12 enemy vehicles reported killed this turn, for no loss on my side - a good turn. I expect a heavy rain of WP arty shells on my exposed positions next turn though...

O.
I

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Oleg Mastruko -- 12/1/2004 2:40:20 AM >

Post #: 5
RE: PBEM AAR, Belphegor vs. Oleg - OLEG thread - 11/30/2004 11:05:29 PM   
Oleg Mastruko

In case you wondered... WP icons are red, but the units on my screenshots above are yellow, because unit that receives fire is highlighted - in yellow, so you know who is being shot at. Red-yellow explosion animation signifies a hit. Grey smokey "explosion" signifies miss.

O.

< Message edited by Oleg Mastruko -- 11/30/2004 10:05:40 PM >

Post #: 6
RE: PBEM AAR, Belphegor vs. Oleg - OLEG thread - 12/1/2004 3:31:03 AM   
Oleg Mastruko

I was right - turn 3 started with enemy arty barrages falling on my spotted unit positions. All three exposed units were shelled, but they are dug in and WP arty is not nearly effective as NATO in this game, so no casualties were sustained.

Picture - enemy shelling my positions. Greyish, smokey-ish smoke means they missed. bwaghaha

O.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 7
RE: PBEM AAR, Belphegor vs. Oleg - OLEG thread - 12/1/2004 3:33:30 AM   
Oleg Mastruko

Turn 3 continued. No enemy units were spotted during turn resolution. WP decided to play it cautiously.

I ordered my Battalion HQ to change position. HQs produce lots of radio traffic and thus oftenly become targets of opportunity for enemy artillery, so it's OK to keep them on the move as precaution.

A Coy HQ is also ordered to move - 500m to the south in the orchard.

I decided to use Bat arty to lay minelet (FASCAM) barrage at three locartions visible on the screenshot below. These locations are not covered by my units, and I want to make them inhospitable for WP units. I risk my arty being detected and counter-battery-fired but hey, let them earn their pay...

O.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 8
RE: PBEM AAR, Belphegor vs. Oleg - OLEG thread - 12/1/2004 3:36:54 AM   
Oleg Mastruko

Turn 3 continued. Elements of C Coy that arrived as reinforcements continued to be moved up front, using the road (picture below).

Using the Turn Preview feature (circled on the screenshot below, top right), I quickly preview my orders for the turn, and confirm they are OK, and click end turn. On to Sean.

Hey is anyone reading this and find it even remotely interesting? Let us know.

O.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 9
RE: PBEM AAR, Belphegor vs. Oleg - OLEG thread - 12/1/2004 4:11:32 AM   
Oleg Mastruko

Turn 4. Not much happened. Arty FASCAM barrage was dropped on designated positions. C Company continued moving towards fronlines. I think I'll keep them as reserve to help counter any possible enemy breakthroughs. Some HQs moved (as ordered) to prevent being located and shelled.

Frontline units remained dug in. No enemy units were observed. There was no shelling of my positions this turn.

I *guess* that right now Sean (Belphegor) thinks about doing either right hook, or left hook (or both) to get to my rear, but I think I got my bases covered both ways...

O.

Post #: 10
RE: PBEM AAR, Belphegor vs. Oleg - OLEG thread - 12/1/2004 6:19:42 AM   
Oleg Mastruko

Turn 5. Nothing happens. I am repositioning some of my platoons to better cover all the approaches. I detached one Bradley platoon from C company to help with my right (western) flank.

O.

Post #: 11
RE: PBEM AAR, Belphegor vs. Oleg - OLEG thread - 12/1/2004 7:55:46 AM   
Custer1961

I am reading this and I find it fascinating. Do you think he will come at you with the left or right hook? Other than the helos, do you have any other air support? How is unit morale after the close shelling of your dug in units? Does the near miss affect unit morale? How many turns does the scenario last?

Post #: 12
RE: PBEM AAR, Belphegor vs. Oleg - OLEG thread - 12/1/2004 3:39:33 PM   
Oleg Mastruko

quote:

I am reading this and I find it fascinating. Do you think he will come at you with the left or right hook?

I don't have the slightest idea. Left (left for him, ie. western) hook is plain field, suited for massed WW2 style assault over steppe. Right (ie. eastern) route is obstacled by forests and more "broken" terrain. I did detach one platoon of the reinforcing C company to help cover western part of the map... Rest of C coy is positioned in the middle but generally speaking they will react faster to any threat coming from the east...

Personally, if I'd be Soviet here I'd pick west (plain, field) route, believing I can more easy overwhelm the defenders with my numbers there.

quote:

Other than the helos, do you have any other air support?

I have 2 A10 tank killers circling above but they are available erratically (you can see button with aircraft on it in top right greyed out on some of the screens above). They are not available right now, and anyway I wouldn't know where to send them as I see no enemy units right now.

quote:

How is unit morale after the close shelling of your dug in units?

I didn't care to check It wasn't particulary terrifying arty barrage by WW3, Soviet and/or FPG standards, just some sporadic shelling, so I assume they are unaffected, buttoned up in their M1A1s and Bradleys.

quote:

Does the near miss affect unit morale?

Frankly I don't know.

quote:

How many turns does the scenario last?

Scenarios last pre-determined amount of time, like, say, 12 or 16 hours. When you start a game you get to choose whether to play the game in 10-minute, 15-minute, 20-minute or 30-minute intervals, and then the number of turns depends on the setting you picked.

We picked 30-minute turns for this game and I believe when I last checked we had 19 turns left (not sure though).

Modern war is so deadly that most scenarios are decided long before the time runs out. Once he decides to attack in earnest, you'll see some medieval carnage on the battlefield, and it'll be all over in a matter of 4-5 turns at most.

O.

(in reply to Custer1961)
Post #: 13
RE: PBEM AAR, Belphegor vs. Oleg - OLEG thread - 12/2/2004 12:17:20 AM   
Oleg Mastruko

Turn 6. Still no enemy in sight. I finished reshuffling of my HQs and C Coy units. This on the screenshot below is my current disposition.

Note the red death head "Landmines" symbol - signifying where I laid FASCAM barrage.

O.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 14
RE: PBEM AAR, Belphegor vs. Oleg - OLEG thread - 12/2/2004 12:20:51 AM   
Oleg Mastruko

Turn 6 continued. I decided to lay some more mines on my left flank. 1 and 2 seem like a nice place to plant some mines, and 3 is right after his units cross the bridge. They may choose to cross at some other point but it will take him more time, and maybe I manage to catch some unit that already has orders to go there.

O.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 15
RE: PBEM AAR, Belphegor vs. Oleg - OLEG thread - 12/2/2004 12:31:37 AM   
Oleg Mastruko

Turn 6 cont'd.

4 turns passed without spotting a single enemy unit. He must be massing his forces somewhere, planning to overwhelm me in one bold move.

OR

He may wrongly believe he is in the lead in this game, and that I have to attack to win.

This, on the screenshot below, is the current scoreboard as observed from my side.

Sector 1 (top left) if NATO occupied brings me 0 points, if WP occupied brings him 100 points. So, my motivation is to hold this sector to DENY him 100 points. Fine.

Sector 6 is the most contested sector, as it brings 100 points to whichever side manages to occupy it at the end of the scenario. I have 22 "runners" (vehicles) there, and I *believe* I currently occupy the sector. My staff summary screen (below) "believes" NATO occupied this sector, and I am awarded 100 points for it by my staff.

But this may be WRONG. He may have 50 runners in this sector, unseen by me, and this sector may actually be WP occupied. No way for me to know it until the game is over and FOW is lifted!

On HIS side, I am sure he sees sector 6 as WP held, and he sees 100 points for HIM awarded for holding this sector (that's because he currently does not see a single NATO vehicle there).

No problem. Let him believe he holds this sector. I will wait, and then try to take sector 6 when I judge to be appropriate... I will wait. I don't want to start clearing Sector 6, only to be surprised by his attack on my left flank.

(I also have 12 points awarded for destroying 12 of his vehicles on turn 2, which is clear enough.)

O.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 16
RE: PBEM AAR, Belphegor vs. Oleg - OLEG thread - 12/2/2004 5:20:48 PM   
wodin

Ive posted over at Warfare HQ for them to come and look at this AAR.

I wasnt really into Nato vs Warsaw however this AAR has sold the game to me.

Post #: 17
RE: PBEM AAR, Belphegor vs. Oleg - OLEG thread - 12/3/2004 5:58:35 AM   
Oleg Mastruko

Turn 7. Nothing. Twice during the turn I heard the rumble of - my guess is - wheeled vehicle engines (Soviet BTRs most probably) but nothing on a scale of "massive attack".

More and more I am sure he is playing the waiting game with me, waiting for me to attack in sector 6. I will attack, trying to clear that sector, only not just yet. My right (western) flank will be naturally used to attack sector 6, but my left (eastern) flank may become overextended and too weak if I push forward in sector 6 with half of Red Army coming from the east.

Should I send my helos to recon? Perhaps, but they're too valuable and I suppose Soviets have plenty of very deadly SP SAMs, Shilkas and Tunguska AA systems. I will wait some more.

O.

(in reply to wodin)
Post #: 18
RE: PBEM AAR, Belphegor vs. Oleg - OLEG thread - 12/3/2004 6:13:17 AM   
Oleg Mastruko

Turn 7 cont'd. No, OK, I will use my (otherwise pretty useless) M106 SP mortar sections to drop something on him.

SP mortars are not the most useful vehicles here, as they can drop "regular" mortar rounds (useless), smoke rounds (near useless), and - chemicals!

Yeah, I am going to go chemical on him. Sounds like fun. Chemicals disperse fast (may not last until the end of turn) and have 50% chance of destroying a non NBC protetcted vehicle, or 5% chance of disabling an NBC protected vehicle in a hex. Worth trying...

I plot some chemical attacks and send turn to Belphegor...

O.

Post #: 19
RE: PBEM AAR, Belphegor vs. Oleg - OLEG thread - 12/3/2004 6:34:33 PM   
Oleg Mastruko

Turn 8. I am jealous - Belphegor's thread has more visits than mine! What is being discussed there? I'll see when we finish the game.

Another turn of waiting for me. Mortars dropped chemical barrage as ordered, but of 9 "chem-ed" hexes, I think 5 or 6 were cleared by the end of the turn (30 minutes). Some chemicals are visible on screenshot below.

20 minutes into turn resolution, Mi-24 Hind helo unit jumped 1km in front of one of my M1A1 unit on the right flank, but backed down immediatelly - obviously it's doctrine was set to avoid combat, perhaps he was using it as recon?

I decided to send my own helos to recon, to the east... I put them on combat-avoiding doctrine and send them towards a hex with great view to the east. Helos are good for recon because a) they can "scoot" quickly, b) they hover above ground and have better view and c) (call me stupid but this is most important for me) I don't have to un-dig them, as they are not dug in anyway. The main reason I am not on the attack is I don't want to "destroy" my carefully built dug in positions from the start of the scenario.

I am constantly shuffling my Battalion HQ and SP arty so as to make them less "targetable" for his artillery.

O.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 20
RE: PBEM AAR, Belphegor vs. Oleg - OLEG thread - 12/4/2004 2:04:45 AM   
Oleg Mastruko

Turn 9. Interesting turn again. Here's what happened...

First, my helo detachment 2/N (Cobra + Kiowa) went to recon to the east. They practically bumped into enemy Mech INF platoon. Mech INF fired, and missed (non AA units have very low probability of hitting a helo - it's not entirely impossible but the odds are very low).

My helo unit immediatelly retreated (note the "bubble" popup saying "Forced move due to doctrine"), without firing - so they work as advertised.

Helos also spotted enemy Mech INF company in the forest to the southwest. Sneaky Ruskie!!

Doctrine for my helos says to put at least 5000m distance (perhaps I overdid it a bit) between them and spotted enemy, so my helos rushed back to safety, their task done.

Picture shows this: 1. - helos flying in, spotting the enemy, and 2. - retreating to NW.

O.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 21
RE: PBEM AAR, Belphegor vs. Oleg - OLEG thread - 12/4/2004 2:06:51 AM   
Oleg Mastruko

Turn 9 contd.

Next, my useless mortars fire their arty barrage on (they did that independently, with no player interaction) position of spotted enemy Mech INF company in the forest. My artillery fires on supposed position of enemy regimental HQ deep in the rear. No hits.

BUT, his previously spotted Mech INF unit was obviously on the move, as it was spotted again few minutes later by my 2/D M1A1 platoon and fired on. Two hits are scored, and for all practical purposes this Mech INF platoon is rendered combat ineffective (pic below)

Attachment (1)

Post #: 22
RE: PBEM AAR, Belphegor vs. Oleg - OLEG thread - 12/4/2004 2:08:31 AM   
Oleg Mastruko

Yeah!

Thank you USAF!

Attachment (1)

Post #: 23
RE: PBEM AAR, Belphegor vs. Oleg - OLEG thread - 12/4/2004 2:11:07 AM   
Oleg Mastruko

Turn 9 contd. Turn replay is finished.

2/D platoon has excellent field of view to the east (picture below), and is dug in. Helos did their job, as did 2/D M1A1 guys.

So, he is trying to sneak on me from the east, and it appears that he does not plan one massed attack, but rather sneaking in bits and pieces.

OK, so I remain dug in for some more turns, perhaps scooting with my helos.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 24
RE: PBEM AAR, Belphegor vs. Oleg - OLEG thread - 12/4/2004 2:27:43 AM   
Oleg Mastruko

Turn 9 contd. Got some A10s. Do I send them to try to smash the recently spotted Mech INF Coy in the forest?

Hell yeah!

(Note I gave them 2 hex discretionary zone radius, in case target unit moved in the meantime (I don't have it observed anymore, since the helos pulled back.)

OK, more waiting for my ground units. I plotted some FASCAM drops in the forest where Mech INF Coy was observed.

And that's it for this turn. It's 1400 hours. 15 turns, or 7,5 hours till the end of scenario. I plan to wait till cca 1800 hours and then start clearing sector 6.

O.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 25
RE: PBEM AAR, Belphegor vs. Oleg - OLEG thread - 12/4/2004 3:45:47 AM   
Oleg Mastruko

Turn 10. Very noisy turn - lots of rumbling of tank and wheeled vehicle engines (audio "leads" are very important in this game). My airstrike went in - held fingers crossed, but the A10s appeared to miss the target(s) altogether - no losses.

More rumbling of tank engines, and then he repeats turn 2, which was bad news for him. His mech INF Coy enters what is I believe the same hex that was entered on turn 2, and suffers devastating losses. 4/A (Bradleys) open fire, killing 5 BTRs and 1 AA vehicle. 3/A Bradleys join in scoring no less than 10 kills, and finally M1A1s of 1/A deliver coup de grace, killing the last vehicle from a spotted unit. Ouch.

Ammo level for 3/A dropped to 17 (ammo is measured in values 1-60). I *think* we play with limited ammo rule ON, so I have to take care to pull them back to rest and refit should they risk running out of ammo. I think they have enough for 1-3 combat rounds, and are, of course, dug in, and of course I don't want to un-dig them only to send them to get more ammo right now. Their fatigue is 4, and morale is 3 (on a 1-20 scale, lower is better) (slightly stressed).

Towards the end of the turn replay - more tank engines, and arty and mortars from both sides opening up on (presumed) enemy HQ and ARTY positions. No hits were scored. For the first time he targeted my mortar units - time to shuffle them around.

Orders phase. I put my southern helo unit on recon/scoot doctrine set, and send them to peek to the SE.

O.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 26
RE: PBEM AAR, Belphegor vs. Oleg - OLEG thread - 12/4/2004 2:18:12 PM   
Oleg Mastruko

Turn 11. His damned Hind unit appeared on my right flank, again (1.). He flew in front of my lines, getting a good picture of my dispositions, and drawing fire from like 4-5 units. My units fired 8-10 times on his helos but scored no hits.

How many helos he's got?? Problem is I don't have any dedicated AA vehicles in my OOB and I don't know what to do to help defend vs. this flying menace. His helo unit fired several times, killing two of my vehicles in two different platoons (M1A1 and Bradley).

Helos finally disappeared to SW...(2.)

Mech INF Coy appeared E of my small minefield, near that river, again, and was spotted and fired on, by my three dug in units. Sovs retreated (3.), drawing fire again. Bradleys killed LOTS of targets, but I noticed M1A1s from that tank platoon missed whenever they did shoot (and they did shoot three times). Ammo levels for these three units are dangerously low - 15, 14, and 9 (9 for M1A1 platoon).

During orders phase, I decide to use my C Coy (the one that's not dug in anyway, and has full ammo), to advance between A Coy positions and that river (and minefield) towards that bridge to the SE (4.). Helo unit is to help them with that task. If I get to control that bridge I'll control practically whole of the sector 6. Also, with C Coy as most advanced unit, then maybe, just maybe, A Coy units may be given Rest and Refit orders (to replenish their ammo supply) where they are, without having them pulled back.

I switched my helos to somewhat less cautious doctrine, though they are still ordered to hold their fire and pull back when they meet the enemy.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 27
RE: PBEM AAR, Belphegor vs. Oleg - OLEG thread - 12/5/2004 1:57:26 AM   
Oleg Mastruko

Turn 12. Ugh! An ugly knife fight! I was stupid and lost 6 vehicles this turn!

First my helos went to do recon to the SE. direction bridge. They spotted enemy SAM SP unit to SW, and immediatelly retreated (good for them!). No shots were fired (pic).

O.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 28
RE: PBEM AAR, Belphegor vs. Oleg - OLEG thread - 12/5/2004 1:59:26 AM   
Oleg Mastruko

Turn 12 contd.

C company started moving towards assigned objective (bridge to SE), but were observed by two enemy mech INF units on the edge of that damned forest to the E!

M1A1s of 1/C platoon lost two tanks in opening salvo (pic below), but remaining two tanks continued moving in SE direction, firing all the time, and killed 4-5 BTRs from that north enemy unit. 2/C and 3/C platoons just wandered into enemy field of fire and sustained casualties (4 vehicles altogether - damn!)

Attachment (1)

Post #: 29
RE: PBEM AAR, Belphegor vs. Oleg - OLEG thread - 12/5/2004 2:01:26 AM   
Oleg Mastruko

Zillion of mortar and arty rounds were fired, but I think only one hit was obtained (on WP HQ vehicle far in the back). There were many other fire exchanges but all ended with misses. Pic shows WP arty shells falling on previous 1/C position after platoon already moved - heh heh

Attachment (1)

Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Modern] >> FlashPoint Germany >> After Action Reports >> PBEM AAR, Belphegor vs. Oleg - OLEG thread Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI