Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Define "dedicated artillery"

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Define "dedicated artillery" Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Define "dedicated artillery" - 12/1/2001 7:37:00 PM   
generalrichmond

.. and what the class type in the OOB editor does for an artillery unit. I am guessing it's what I've seen called 'fast response' arty? What is the impact - faster fire missions?

Post #: 1
- 12/1/2001 7:42:00 PM   
generalrichmond

Hmmm. A little more OOB research and I come up with some interesting things. My findings: Offboard is not labeled 'dedicated'; onboard is, with the exception of 50mm mortars and the such. What are the implications?

(in reply to generalrichmond)
Post #: 2
- 12/1/2001 8:59:00 PM   
Warrior

The small "dedicated" mortars are supposedly only able to get orders from their unit HQ.

Retreat is NOT an option.

Post #: 3
- 12/1/2001 9:26:00 PM   
AmmoSgt

Dedicated Arty in RL terms depends on the nation and the national doctrine .. in most Armies it is the arty assigned to the unit .at what ever level you are talking about .. (ie organic Bn arty is dedicated to that Bn) and will fire in support of that Bn's maneuver or mission .. In the US Army and to some lesser degree in the British Army it is arty that is prioritized to support the mission ... however in the US Army WW2 any unengaged Arty could and would directly respond to any request for a fire mission without having to check with anybody, being basically free from having to obtain permission from it's regular chain of command.. unengaged would be interpetted in this case, as having more ammo on hand than required for any dedicated preplanned assigned shoot that was required to happen at an assigned time .. this held true at Batallion , Regimental/Brigade, Divisional, and even at Corp levels...
Nations with strong local command propriatory doctrines tended not to use one regiments arty to fire in support of another regiments maneuver ..This was about the best most nations could do considering supply and comunications resrictions .. so in those cases dedicated would be just the organic unit arty and possibily any assigned independant arty formations ..
For the Brits more flexibility with some cross assignmennts from arty within the next higher echelon would be the norm and with some possibility of two echelons up .. with the Russians strict control , with everything preassigned and pretty much preploted ..
With the US, a platoon from Easy company 506th Regt 101 Div could have 240mm on call from V Corp and 155 from 3rd Armor on call and end up getting all the regimental 105's from 84th Div if needed as well as having access to a Cab Rank ( aircraft in the air waiting to be called for support) of 8 P-47s and 4 B-26 Invaders, or whatever was up that day , numbers and type varying depending , on call.. the Platoon leader would be given a list of call signs as part of his mission briefing and if any units got diverted, additional units would be assigned to replace them on the fly .. bear in mind all US divisions had 8 to 10 airborne FO's in O-1's assigned as organic , so each BN usually had one on call( and farmed out the lead maneuver element) to assist in calling arty and airstrikes if the weather and time of day permited. All of the above could and was considered dedicated by US doctrine. US communications and doctrine usually allowed Corp 240mm and 8 inch to respond faster in support of a company, than say, German 120mm mortars at Battalion could respond to a German Company assigned to that Batallion. US time being 2-3 minutes on an average day and German times being 4-5 minutes on a good day for the Bn's 120mm , and about 12 minutes for Div Arty. Add to all this that the US was the only Army with a Time on Target concept .. and when arty support was called, as much arty as could be called would coordinate their firing times so the shells all fall at about the same time reducing any warning or reaction time .. couple that with the US's monoploy on VT (proximity fuses )from about sept 44 till the end of WW2 giving typical Arty about a 3-10 fold effectiveness against soft targets . [ December 01, 2001: Message edited by: AmmoSgt ]

"For Americans war is almost all of the time a nuisance, and military skill is a luxury like Mah-jongg. But when the issue is brought home to them, war becomes as important, for the necessary periods, as business or sport. And it is hard to decide which

Post #: 4
- 12/4/2001 12:29:00 AM   
Larry Holt

quote:

Originally posted by AmmoSgt:
... bear in mind all US divisions had 8 to 10 airborne FO's in O-1's assigned as organic , so each BN usually had one on call( and farmed out the lead maneuver element) to assist in calling arty and airstrikes if the weather and time of day permited. ... [ December 01, 2001: Message edited by: AmmoSgt ]

I recently read and article in the Army times about FO aircraft being purchased for each arty Bn in WWII. How does this impact on the decision not to put aircraft into SPWaW as they are more operational assets than tactical ones?

Never take counsel of your fears.

Post #: 5
- 12/4/2001 1:21:00 AM   
AmmoSgt

I think the decsion not to have spotter aircraft is based more on limits of the game engine, the designers preferences , and the complications involved with the US Arty being the only ones with a viable claim to tactical spotter aircraft, than it does with the Tactical /Operational arguements ..at least as far as the Americans are concerned ... I think to many players are probably not knowledgeable enough to see only one nation getting spotter aircraft as a reflection of military reality and not some heinious plot to disadvanage other countries. A Lot of the values and ratings of Arty in general in this game are highly abstracted and generalized as it is,and on balance gives a reasonable representaion within the limits of the game engine.

"For Americans war is almost all of the time a nuisance, and military skill is a luxury like Mah-jongg. But when the issue is brought home to them, war becomes as important, for the necessary periods, as business or sport. And it is hard to decide which

Post #: 6
- 12/4/2001 1:30:00 AM   
asgrrr

FO aircraft would be horror on the game because they would make all of the opponent's units visible all the time. That means not only targeting information to the artillery, but every man in every tank, car or boot would know where all the enemy are.

Never hate your enemy.
It clouds your judgement.

Post #: 7
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Define "dedicated artillery" Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI