Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

National Tactical Doctrine

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> National Tactical Doctrine Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
National Tactical Doctrine - 12/7/2001 12:06:00 PM   
Black_Watch

It would be cool if the AI could fight using the tactical doctrine of the nation(s) it is controlling for the time period of the scenario. I've read in forums past that the AI comes closest to something similar to the Soviet doctrine. Being able to account for something like this by the game would be extremely difficult. Is there any literature available on the different tactical doctrine of the various nations and the different time frames those nations used them throughout WW2? Most of us playing use combined arms tactics no matter what the country and the time frame of the scenario. This may not have been the actual doctrine used for the paticular nation we are controlling for the given time period of the scenario. It would be interesting to attempt to use the various tactical methods of the nations in trying to defeat the AI or human opponent. In this way, we can appreciate more or less the equipment that was developed for the doctrines of the countries in scenarios. It would also give us insight into the command decisions the battlefield commanders might have been forced to make or not make. Just some thoughts. The Black Watch

Post #: 1
- 12/7/2001 11:09:00 PM   
Alexandra

I think we should get people playing with the proper doctrine before we try to get the AI to As for if there is literature about it, yes. Most good campaign histories spend a lot of time talking about doctrine - for example, both Carlo D'Este (in Decision in Normandy) and Max Hastings (in Overlord), talk at length about allied doctrine, and to a lesser extent about German. You are quite correct, IMO, in your observation that most humans play soley combined arms, regardless of historical accuracy. In fact, I'd argue that most players - including myself a lot - use Post WW2 doctrine, not WW2 doctrine. Alex

"Tonight a dynasty is born." Ricky Proehl, then of the Saint Louis Rams. He was right! Go Pats! Winners of Super Bowls 36, 38 and 39.

(in reply to Black_Watch)
Post #: 2
- 12/7/2001 11:59:00 PM   
Larry Holt

quote:

Originally posted by Black_Watch:

Is there any literature available on the different tactical doctrine of the various nations and the different time frames those nations used them throughout WW2? The Black Watch

The Soviet's used echelons while the Western nations used the triangular model (2 up 1 back). I know nothing bout the Japanese. You might try my tactics guide at the Armor site. It has a section on WWII German and Soviet Doctrinal Notes and goes into Soviet Operational doctrine in some detail.

Never take counsel of your fears.

Post #: 3
- 12/8/2001 12:47:00 AM   
Grimm

It would be great if somebody more knowledgable than me would develop some "rules of thumb" for the various nations and time frames. I tend to play Soviets alot and have developed my own based on experience and my (limited) knowledge of Soviet doctrine. I always try to take at least 2:1 inf to tanks and use mostly 76mm arty. However, my tanks are always T-34s and KVs...

Its what you do
and not what you say
If you're not part of the future
then get out of the way

Post #: 4
- 12/8/2001 1:24:00 AM   
troopie

If people were trained in a particular doctrine, they tend to play that doctrine, regardless if it is appropriate to the time. I tend to play South African (modern) if I have tanks, or Rhodesian, if I do not, in SPWAW. Though these were not WW2 doctrines. troopie

Pamwe Chete

Post #: 5
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> National Tactical Doctrine Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI