Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Downloaded windows update and now windows wont load

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Downloaded windows update and now windows wont load Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Downloaded windows update and now windows wont load - 5/6/2004 2:31:11 PM   
Muzrub

Hi,

I downloaded windows update for 98 on a friends computer.
He tried to install it but it had some problems. Now when windows starts it goes through all the processes but then fails to load the main screen, no start, task bar nothing at all.

The connect to the internet window is the only thing that appears on the screen even when I tried to load it in safe mode.
My friend has many work related items on the computer and really needs it back online.

I hope you guys can help.

This is pretty urgent.

Thanks

Harmlessly passing your time in the grassland away;
Only dimly aware of a certain unease in the air.
You better watch out,
There may be dogs about
I've looked over Iraq, and i have seen
Things are not what they seem.

Matrix Axis of Evil
Post #: 1
RE: Downloaded windows update and now windows wont load - 5/6/2004 3:35:05 PM   
Slick91

Don’t you hate it when you try to help fix a friend's computer and something goes to sh!t?

It sounds like the install/upgrade became corrupt.

Worst cases scenario, you reinstall Windows 98 without formatting the hard drive. At least his work data will still be intact and retrievable, but he’ll have to reinstall all his programs again to get fully functional.

I can’t understand why it won’t boot into Safe Mode. Can you get to the boot menu, F8 I think? In there is an option that does a line by line boot up so you can see what it is loading and what maybe causing the hiccup.

Also, boot to a DOS prompt and check the Autoexec.bat and config.sys files to see what they maybe trying to load.

I almost wonder if it is looking for an internet connection to finish the install routine.

< Message edited by Slick91 -- 5/6/2004 8:30:24 AM >

Slick
-----------------------------
"Life's tough, it's tougher if you're stupid."
-John Wayne

(in reply to Muzrub)
Post #: 2
RE: Downloaded windows update and now windows wont load - 5/6/2004 4:05:55 PM   
Muzrub

quote:

Don’t you hate it when you try to help fix a friend's computer and something goes to sh!t?

Worst cases scenario, you reinstall Windows 98 without formatting the hard drive. At least his work data will still be intact and retrievable, but he’ll have to reinstall all his programs again to get fully functional.

I can’t understand why it won’t boot into Safe Mode. Can you get to the boot menu, F8 I think? In there is an option that does a line by line boot up so you can see what it is loading and what maybe causing the hiccup.

Also, boot to a DOS prompt and check the Autoexec.bat and config.sys files to see what they maybe trying to load.

I almost wonder if it is looking for an internet connection to finish the install routine.

Indeed, you try to help and it all goes to hell....
I cant help but think he's blaming me....

Yeah I have used F8 and brought up safe mode- tried that first and then tried to load everything step by step- but the problem is I'm not sure what is causing the problem so I'm not sure what not to load..? I was very suprised that the desktop wouldnt load with safe mode operating. The only thing that comes up is the connection window.

DOS prompt and check the Autoexec.bat and config.sys files

Have got any hints on what I should be looking for here?

If the microsoft update done this is it possible to remove the update, would it be registered in the add/remove programs? (of course this depends on if I can get the desktop back.

Is it possible that it could just be looking for a connection to complete the load up, I never thought of that. If that is the case how would I change that? remove the internet conection from the start up?

Thanks for your help.......
Please dont hesitate to help more

You better watch out,
There may be dogs about

Matrix Axis of Evil

(in reply to Slick91)
Post #: 3
RE: Downloaded windows update and now windows wont load - 5/7/2004 2:31:30 AM   
Raverdave

Dump 98, it was a sh1tty O/S.

< Message edited by Raverdave -- 5/7/2004 9:27:04 AM >

Never argue with an idiot, he will only drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

(in reply to Muzrub)
Post #: 4
RE: Downloaded windows update and now windows wont load - 5/7/2004 2:43:33 AM   
Zakhal

98 a ****ty O/S? Now thats an understatement. It was c r a p t a s t i c. Oh and dont forget the this-doesnt-operate-95.

"99.9% of all internet arguments are due to people not understanding someone else's point. The other 0.1% is arguing over made up statistics."- unknown poster
"Those who dont read history are destined to repeat it."– Edmund Burke

(in reply to Raverdave)
Post #: 5
RE: Downloaded windows update and now windows wont load - 5/7/2004 3:19:41 AM   
sprior

quote:

ORIGINAL: Muzrub

quote:

Indeed, you try to help and it all goes to hell....
I cant help but think he's blaming me....

Yeah I have used F8 and brought up safe mode- tried that first and then tried to load everything step by step- but the problem is I'm not sure what is causing the problem so I'm not sure what not to load..? I was very suprised that the desktop wouldnt load with safe mode operating. The only thing that comes up is the connection window.

DOS prompt and check the Autoexec.bat and config.sys files

Have got any hints on what I should be looking for here?

If the microsoft update done this is it possible to remove the update, would it be registered in the add/remove programs? (of course this depends on if I can get the desktop back.

Is it possible that it could just be looking for a connection to complete the load up, I never thought of that. If that is the case how would I change that? remove the internet conection from the start up?

Thanks for your help.......
Please dont hesitate to help more

Once you've booted it into safe made type "msconfig" in the Start|Run box
Select "Selective Startup"
Select the "startup" tab abd uncheck everything - if the PC bbots in Safe Mode then the OS is good - you have a bad driver or program running at start up.

"Grown ups are what's left when skool is finished."
"History started badly and hav been geting steadily worse."
- Nigel Molesworth.

(in reply to Muzrub)
Post #: 6
RE: Downloaded windows update and now windows wont load - 5/7/2004 9:38:51 AM   
Muzrub

quote:

Once you've booted it into safe made type "msconfig" in the Start|Run box
Select "Selective Startup"
Select the "startup" tab abd uncheck everything - if the PC bbots in Safe Mode then the OS is good - you have a bad driver or program running at start up.

I cant boot into safe mode.....
Explorer comes up first with an error "performed an illegal operation"

Is there a way to disable explorer from the start up without using start/run runbox etc?

I can bring a menu up using Ctrl which gives me some options at the begining of start up.....The options include safe mode, command prompt etc etc.

I have tried this:

Boot while holding the CTRL key to enter the boot menu.

Select the COMMAND PROMPT ONLY option and press enter.

From the C:\> prompt, type SCANREG /RESTORE and press enter.

When the restore screen appears, select a backup dated before this problem occurred and then restart the system.

Any other options?

thanks guys

You better watch out,
There may be dogs about

Matrix Axis of Evil

(in reply to sprior)
Post #: 7
RE: Downloaded windows update and now windows wont load - 5/7/2004 4:09:57 PM   
Slick91

I hate to say it, but it sounds like you may have to reinstall Windows 98.

Or, if his hardware is worthy, you could try to put Windows XP on it. Either way, it could be a crap shoot to get it to work. It sounds like the updates royally screwed it up which is a common occurrence with 95/98.

I’ve had a lot of success with hardware issues posting at the SimHq forum www.simhq.com

It is a very active forum with no subscription fees. Sorry I couldn’t be of more help, but I’ve done my fair share of “helping” friends with outdated computers. Been there, done that, got the t-shirt, but missed the autograph.

Slick
-----------------------------
"Life's tough, it's tougher if you're stupid."
-John Wayne

(in reply to Muzrub)
Post #: 8
RE: Downloaded windows update and now windows wont load - 5/8/2004 8:41:15 AM   
Muzrub

Thanks for the help.
We may have to re-install.......I hope not.

I've asked about it on other forums too. I hope to have some luck there.

You better watch out,
There may be dogs about

Matrix Axis of Evil

(in reply to Slick91)
Post #: 9
RE: Downloaded windows update and now windows wont load - 5/12/2004 6:01:07 AM   
PeckingFury

I would try and use the 98 cd load off that and do a repair may work. Not very sure but does 98 have a revert to last known good configuration prompt in it? if so I would try that but its been awhile since ive dinked with 98. You can also look at this in a positive way and load XP home or Pro in its place both are better IMHO.

(in reply to Muzrub)
Post #: 10
RE: Downloaded windows update and now windows wont load - 6/9/2004 2:05:14 PM   
Boar

quote:

Thanks for the help.

Hey Muzrub maybe Anzac Tack can help you out on this ;)

Nothing like playing the reload game on computers, eh?

The good thing is WinXP eliminates most of the probs you get with Win98.

(in reply to Muzrub)
Post #: 11
RE: Downloaded windows update and now windows wont load - 6/15/2004 1:54:33 AM   
blam0

There is a file called boot.log or bootlog.log or something like that. Boot the machine to DOS and see what errors are in there. Also, seeing where this file stops is sometimes (but not always) helpful.

IIRC there are some saved versions of your registry on the machine, and a little utility that will let you swap out the current one for an old one that "works". Unfortunately, I don't recall the name of the tool, but hopefully someone else can help out with that.

Good luck. I have felt your pain.

(in reply to Muzrub)
Post #: 12
RE: Downloaded windows update and now windows wont load - 6/15/2004 1:31:12 PM   
Juba

quote:

Thanks for the help.

Check the Microsoft support website and search for this kind of error. It's good, it helped me fix my broken registry that stopped me from starting Windows XP. It got to the loading screen but there it always restarted the whole computer and then continued this loop.

Elämä on laiffii

(in reply to Muzrub)
Post #: 13
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Downloaded windows update and now windows wont load Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI