Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Game Crash

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> Tech Support >> Game Crash Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Game Crash - 6/27/2004 7:09:48 PM   
foliveti

I have an HP desktop about 2 years old. Whenever I try to play the game, it crashes during the first turn air attack on Singapore. (no error message, it just turns black and shuts off) I have updated the direct x file. Turning the animations off does not help. But, if I change the name of the sound directory, it will work. However, I miss the sound. I am not a techie so anyone willing to help must use small words. I am wondering if this is a memory problem and whether buying additional memory may help. There is 512 meg of ram, but all of the junk that runs in the background seems to soak up about 150 meg. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Frank
Post #: 1
RE: Game Crash - 6/27/2004 7:14:31 PM   
Mr.Frag

quote:

I have an HP desktop about 2 years old. Whenever I try to play the game, it crashes during the first turn air attack on Singapore. (no error message, it just turns black and shuts off) I have updated the direct x file. Turning the animations off does not help. But, if I change the name of the sound directory, it will work. However, I miss the sound. I am not a techie so anyone willing to help must use small words. I am wondering if this is a memory problem and whether buying additional memory may help. There is 512 meg of ram, but all of the junk that runs in the background seems to soak up about 150 meg. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

It is specifically a sound problem. Update your sound drivers. Sound cards/Onboard sound is generally the weak spot on most machines. No need for more hardware, just need to fix what you have.

(in reply to foliveti)
Post #: 2
RE: Game Crash - 6/28/2004 3:54:34 AM   
2Stepper

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mr.Frag

It is specifically a sound problem. Update your sound drivers. Sound cards/Onboard sound is generally the weak spot on most machines. No need for more hardware, just need to fix what you have.

Frag, can you give me a few details on the problem please? I haven't got the game yet of course, but I'm wondering about this difficulty. It sounds like DX conflicts of some sort but it's hard to say... I have an updated Audigy 2 soundboard but irregardless of that I was just wondering what this problem is specifically about.

"Send in the Infantry. Tanks cost money... the dead cost nothing..." :)

(in reply to Mr.Frag)
Post #: 3
RE: Game Crash - 6/28/2004 3:59:33 AM   
Sonny

quote:

ORIGINAL: 2Stepper

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mr.Frag

Frag, can you give me a few details on the problem please? I haven't got the game yet of course, but I'm wondering about this difficulty. It sounds like DX conflicts of some sort but it's hard to say... I have an updated Audigy 2 soundboard but irregardless of that I was just wondering what this problem is specifically about.

What driver do you have for your Audigy?

Quote from Snigbert -

"If you mess with the historical accuracy, you're going to have ahistorical outcomes."

"I'll say it again for Sonny's sake: If you mess with historical accuracy, you're going to have
ahistorical outcomes. "

(in reply to 2Stepper)
Post #: 4
RE: Game Crash - 6/28/2004 4:06:07 AM   
2Stepper

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sonny

The Feb 04 version of the driver I believe but I'll have to check. I just updated it the other day.

EDIT: Yep, dated 23 Feb 04. I hadn't run DXDIAG yet to check everything, but all my other programs run like champs. I don't really expect this sound problem to crop up, but I thought it best to be prepared.

EDIT: Lastly, I did DXDIAG and it shows zero problems or conflicts... I should be good to go on my end. Least for this problem at any rate.

< Message edited by 2Stepper -- 6/27/2004 8:10:45 PM >

(in reply to Sonny)
Post #: 5
RE: Game Crash - 6/28/2004 4:53:20 AM   
Sonny

quote:

quote:

The Feb 04 version of the driver I believe but I'll have to check. I just updated it the other day.

EDIT: Yep, dated 23 Feb 04. I hadn't run DXDIAG yet to check everything, but all my other programs run like champs. I don't really expect this sound problem to crop up, but I thought it best to be prepared.

EDIT: Lastly, I did DXDIAG and it shows zero problems or conflicts... I should be good to go on my end. Least for this problem at any rate.

OK dummy me. I had updated the driver but not to the latest version. I now have the 2/23/04 driver - and it still crashes.

Quote from Snigbert -

"If you mess with the historical accuracy, you're going to have ahistorical outcomes."

"I'll say it again for Sonny's sake: If you mess with historical accuracy, you're going to have
ahistorical outcomes. "

(in reply to 2Stepper)
Post #: 6
RE: Game Crash - 6/28/2004 4:58:05 AM   
2Stepper

Did you run DXDiag? Knowning that you have no conflicts would ensure that you eliminate that possibility as the cause. I know I saw something in another crash thread about scenario 1 being a bit buggy. Not sure what causes it. Have you tried other scenarios or does it just CTD without you doing anything?

(in reply to Sonny)
Post #: 7
RE: Game Crash - 6/28/2004 7:46:17 AM   
Erik Rutins

Foliveti,

quote:

ORIGINAL: foliveti

I believe this is being worked on and is the same sound problem reported on some other systems. If your drivers are completely up to date, then try playing with sound off for the time being until we can get this fixed and a patch uploaded. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Regards,

- Erik

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to foliveti)
Post #: 8
RE: Game Crash - 6/28/2004 8:40:47 AM   
ZOOMIE1980

quote:

ORIGINAL: Erik Rutins

Foliveti,

quote:

ORIGINAL: foliveti

I believe this is being worked on and is the same sound problem reported on some other systems. If your drivers are completely up to date, then try playing with sound off for the time being until we can get this fixed and a patch uploaded. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Regards,

- Erik

Damned DirectX for a turn based wargame???? I can play all types of sound files, and certainly ANYTHING video that a turn base wargame could ever need to have. It just amazes me that this genre continues to try and use Direct X for anything when all it ever uses this stuff for are intro music and video??? DirectX also locks you people into WIN32. Yea that's what most people have today, but there are a lot MAC and Linux users out there, a hell of alot of Linux users are wargamers as well that have to come back to WIN32 just to play their games.

DirectX seems like a high price to pay for a genre that really has NO NEED WHATSOEVER to have to use this API for ANYTHING these games require. I have been railing against using DirectX for turn based wargames for YEARS. So you people have now bought a major bug for an API you don't even really need???? Amazing. Simply amazing. Who the hell makes these design decisions?

< Message edited by ZOOMIE1980 -- 6/28/2004 6:43:13 AM >

(in reply to Erik Rutins)
Post #: 9
RE: Game Crash - 6/28/2004 11:47:20 AM   
freeboy

I went the upgrade path..as advised.. just in case when I order this game....I am currently using an older direct x driver.. Next from microsofts own download.. the install failed do too the driver not being signed to work with windows xp home.. ggcb( good grief charlie brown) if ever there was a case of a very successful company succeeding inspite of themselves it is ms...

(in reply to ZOOMIE1980)
Post #: 10
RE: Game Crash - 6/28/2004 11:49:50 AM   
freeboy

I hope matrix doesn't make us wait any longer for this game that "..exceipt for a sound issue has been done for weeks.." per the testers
I could wait for a patch but since it is gold already hope to dd sooner rather than later...

(in reply to freeboy)
Post #: 11
RE: Game Crash - 6/28/2004 12:31:57 PM   
Bane

worst case is that you don't have sound until the patch comes out, but the game is still playable

Second to the Last Samurai...

"What do you think Abraham Lincoln would be doing if he were alive today? (1) Writing his memoirs of the Civil War. (2) Advising the President. (3) Desperately clawing at the inside of his coffin."

(in reply to freeboy)
Post #: 12
RE: Game Crash - 6/28/2004 12:40:30 PM   
freeboy

worse case is they stop the release and make us wait longer grrrr

(in reply to Bane)
Post #: 13
RE: Game Crash - 6/28/2004 12:45:36 PM   
Bane

quote:

ORIGINAL: freeboy

Actually worst case is that we get hit by a plantet killer asteriod...so anything less than that isn't so bad when putting things in perspective...

Second to the Last Samurai...

"What do you think Abraham Lincoln would be doing if he were alive today? (1) Writing his memoirs of the Civil War. (2) Advising the President. (3) Desperately clawing at the inside of his coffin."

(in reply to freeboy)
Post #: 14
RE: Game Crash - 6/28/2004 12:50:41 PM   
freeboy

or.. worse case is the green men come and make us their slaves eewww

(in reply to Bane)
Post #: 15
RE: Game Crash - 6/28/2004 3:20:56 PM   
Sonny

quote:

Did you run DXDiag? Knowning that you have no conflicts would ensure that you eliminate that possibility as the cause. I know I saw something in another crash thread about scenario 1 being a bit buggy. Not sure what causes it. Have you tried other scenarios or does it just CTD without you doing anything?

Yeah, there wer no conflicts. Maybe it is a DX problem. The box says you gotta hace DirectX 8.

Quote from Snigbert -

ahistorical outcomes. "

(in reply to 2Stepper)
Post #: 16
RE: Game Crash - 6/28/2004 4:09:57 PM   
2Stepper

quote:

Yeah, there wer no conflicts. Maybe it is a DX problem. The box says you gotta hace DirectX 8.

That's just for the game. Windows needs DX 9. Get it if you don't already have it.

< Message edited by 2Stepper -- 6/28/2004 8:09:26 AM >

(in reply to Sonny)
Post #: 17
RE: Game Crash - 6/28/2004 4:42:33 PM   
Sonny

quote:

quote:

That's just for the game. Windows needs DX 9. Get it if you don't already have it.

Already got it. version b I think.

Quote from Snigbert -

ahistorical outcomes. "

(in reply to 2Stepper)
Post #: 18
RE: Game Crash - 6/29/2004 5:31:39 AM   
byron13

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bane

quote:

ORIGINAL: freeboy

Actually worst case is that we get hit by a plantet killer asteriod...so anything less than that isn't so bad when putting things in perspective...

You all just don't think big enough. A worserer case scenario is getting hit by TWO planet killer asteroids, both of which carry little green men that make you play only FPS's all day long as slaves.

And putting it into perspective, I haven't been waiting for a killer asteroid for the past 3 years. If I had been waiting on a killer asteroid for 3 years and it was within a day or two of hitting but then I find out it may not hit right away because of driver or DX problems - then . . . well, I don't know. But that puts it in perspective.

(in reply to Bane)
Post #: 19
RE: Game Crash - 7/2/2004 7:05:52 AM   
Arnir

Okay, I also have the sound bug. If I rename the sound to nosound the games plays fine, sans sound obviously. Otherwise it CTDs whenever a combat sound is accessed. I have updated my sound drivers as much as I can. I have a Philips Sonic Edge 5.1.

What info do y'all need? Should I put up my directx Diagnostic info or what? Just let me know.

Thanks.

BTW, I changed my acceleration level for my sound card from high to none and all stops in between, but no joy.

Thanks again.

Okay, I found the other thread about crashing to desktop in combat. Sent my dxdiag file to support@matrixgames.com or whatever the link was.

Thanks again, again.

< Message edited by Arnir -- 7/1/2004 11:25:09 PM >

(in reply to byron13)
Post #: 20
RE: Game Crash - 7/2/2004 7:16:46 AM   
steverodgers801OLD

I am playing wir and it wwont let me transfer units into france I do rail trans and when I go to the unit it wont let me select it just freezes up

(in reply to foliveti)
Post #: 21
RE: Game Crash - 7/2/2004 7:23:06 AM   
Zorfwaddle

I think you stepped into the wrong forum. This is the one you want...

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tt.asp?forumid=12

Regards,

"AK-47. When you absolutely, positively got to kill every m****rf****r in the room. Accept no substitutes." Ordell Robbie - "Jackie Brown"

(in reply to steverodgers801OLD)
Post #: 22
RE: Game Crash - 7/2/2004 2:56:19 PM   
Sonny

quote:

ORIGINAL: steverodgers801

I am playing wir and it wwont let me transfer units into france I do rail trans and when I go to the unit it wont let me select it just freezes up

Got all excited there for a moment - thought WitP had a Europe add-on pack. Was going to try and download it.

Quote from Snigbert -

ahistorical outcomes. "

(in reply to steverodgers801OLD)
Post #: 23
RE: Game Crash - 7/2/2004 5:37:00 PM   
Grotius

I've reported my sound bug via e-mail to support@matrixgames.com, and I attached a copy of my dxdiag.txt file. I can upload it here too if Matrix wishes.

FYI, I have a P4/3G running Windows XP Home, ATI 9800 Pro 128, IntelD856PERL motherboard with onboard Soundmax sound (and up-to-date drivers), 2G RAM.

Any prognosis on when this will be fixed? Sound adds a lot to the game.

(in reply to Sonny)
Post #: 24
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> Tech Support >> Game Crash Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI