Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Making dessert maps (dust trails)

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Making dessert maps (dust trails) Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Making dessert maps (dust trails) - 12/26/2001 10:49:00 AM   
Jack

What tells the program to use dust trails on a dessert map? Do the dust trails affect LOS? Sand dunes are level 1. Does that mean they block LOS for same level firer to target? Should sand dunes be avoided when moving through with vehicles? I would really appreiciate it if someone could help me out on the above questions. Thanks in advance and Merry Christmas to all. BTW I am expecting some turns from you guys that I am playing against.

Post #: 1
- 12/26/2001 12:34:00 PM   
Warrior

1) When you pick a desert map, you get dust trails.
2) Dust trails can block LOS.
3) Level 1 won't block LOS to another Level 1.
4) Sand dunes can slow vehicle and troop movement, but won't cause more than normal immobilization. Sand depressions should be avoided.

Retreat is NOT an option.

(in reply to Jack)
Post #: 2
- 12/26/2001 12:42:00 PM   
Jack

Thanks Warrior
Now what about two units on level 0 but there is a level 1 sand dune in between them. Does that level 1 sand dune block LOS?
When I put the mouse over the sand depression hex, it simply states that current level of that terrain. Sort of misleading I expected it to say -1 depression.
Thanks again.

(in reply to Jack)
Post #: 3
- 12/26/2001 7:56:00 PM   
Warrior

quote:

Originally posted by Jack:
Thanks Warrior
Now what about two units on level 0 but there is a level 1 sand dune in between them. Does that level 1 sand dune block LOS?
When I put the mouse over the sand depression hex, it simply states that current level of that terrain. Sort of misleading I expected it to say -1 depression.
Thanks again.

Usually sand dunes won't block the LOS. Sand depressions are usually -1 and identify the depression and elevation. Perhaps there was another terrain there first that was deleted and the sand depression added. I've had many hassles with desert maps. I'll build a nice map of a flat desert floor, add terrain like dunes and depressions, rocks, etc., and suddenly find weird elevations (of up to 25) all over the place. Much work to find and remove all of them.

Retreat is NOT an option.

(in reply to Jack)
Post #: 4
- 12/26/2001 10:15:00 PM   
Jack

Thanks again Warrior,
You da man.

(in reply to Jack)
Post #: 5
- 12/27/2001 7:13:00 AM   
mogami

Greetings. You can get rid of dust trails by using these steps to make map
select desert (this generates map with just desert hexs)
then switch from desert to summer.
the map still has all desert but now there will be no dust trails. (use this for winter periods in desert (when it rains) or for areas where the desert floor was really hard. (the loose dust in these areas blew away long ago and it is like driving on a hard surfaced road.
If you add all your terrian features and just switch to summer right before you save you also avoid those give away dust clouds.

I'm not retreating, I'm attacking in a different direction!

(in reply to Jack)
Post #: 6
- 12/27/2001 1:52:00 PM   
Redleg

After watching film clips on Easter front in Summer today, unless it has been raining, dust trails should be used in all summer East Front scenarios! You can do this by loading the map and clicking on Desert and then saving the scenario.

(in reply to Jack)
Post #: 7
- 12/27/2001 10:25:00 PM   
Jack

Redleg,
Dust trails are a nice feature but from a PBEM standpoint really take away from not knowing were the enemy is until you see him. I just finished a hotseat game and you can see your opponents dust trails.
I like the idea of dust trails but it does take away from the game when you can see were he has been and you are on the other side of the playing area. I won't play a game anymore where dust trails are involved against another humane.

(in reply to Jack)
Post #: 8
- 12/28/2001 1:29:00 AM   
Redleg

Dust trails can be a super deception in pbem. Try running a gang of vehicles single-file to a point and then retrace several hexes back. Is it a vehicle? Is it a company? Is it a truck? Tank? Where is it? Soon there are dust trails everywhere and they no longer provide clues about enemy activity.

(in reply to Jack)
Post #: 9
- 12/28/2001 4:04:00 AM   
Scorpion_sk

*Gah*
*Arrrgh* Phew, managed not to crack some silly dessert-jokes Have a nice new year, folks!

(in reply to Jack)
Post #: 10
- 12/31/2001 6:58:00 AM   
Capt. Pixel

I have purchased jeeps, kubelwagens, ACs, etc. for the purpose of 'zig-zagging' a confusing smoke pattern to broadcast to my opponent. I'll also avoid moving serious combat units a turn or two, so as not to give away their position prematurely. This seems to work reasonably well, most of the time :wink: . But it is a tedious process who's only reward is the occasional 8" barrage that comes in on a lone Kubelwagen in the middle of nowhere. I see this feature as a simple representation of some of the disinformation tricks that Rommel used in North Africa. By the way, will we be able to 'disguise' kubelwagens as PzIIIs in CL?

"Always mystify, mislead, and surprise the enemy, if possible. "
- Stonewall Jackson

(in reply to Jack)
Post #: 11
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Making dessert maps (dust trails) Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI