Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

A Draw?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> A Draw? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
A Draw? - 1/9/2002 1:27:00 AM   
rlc27

I'm on about the fifth mission of MCNA. I was supposed to meet up with a supply convoy and rearm and replenish ammo. All of the victory points are worth 100 per turn. For eleven turns I held all of them. I lost about 5 tanks and a few armored cars, but managed to almost utterly annihilate the British, except for their two Matilda tanks, mostly the only things that got away from me were tank crews, the A0 unit, and a few infantry. Two questions:
(1) Why did the ammo carriers (without which I was told I'd probably lose the scenario), not seem to work right? I parked a number of PZIIIe's and PIVD's as well as Stugs either right next to them or in the same hex just about every turn. I constantly checked to see if my tanks were getting new AP ammo--and it seemed that a couple of them might have gotten a couple of rounds but by and large nobody got anything. I really had to conserve those rounds in this mission, but heck, we had enough HE to send Earth out of orbit. (2) Why did the scenario end just as I was about to wipe out his HQ and grab the last victory hex at the eastern edge of the screen (worth 100 at end of battle? The Brits were 'broken' for about the last four turns. But I didn't get to mop them up which hurt my VP's, I guess. (3) A draw? We had them running big time. The final score was something like 3300-8700. I'd expect at least a marginal victory. It seems a little silly when you've dominated the battlefield achieve a draw--and a bit annoying after you've just spent five hours of your life obtaining that, thought you had a sure thing and then Rommel gets all mad at you! However, I'm not complaining too much--despite these grumblings this is still one of the best games I've ever played! Once I got into the Megacampaign it seems that I haven't gotten enough sleep for some time. Thanks

"They couldn't hit an elephant from this dist--"

--John Sedgwick, failing to reduce suppression during the Battle of the Wilderness, U.S. Civil War.
Post #: 1
- 1/9/2002 2:30:00 AM   
AbsntMndedProf

I believe that I can adress your first question. As I understand it, ammo trucks and ammo dumps can only resupply one unit at a time. The number of rounds added to the unit's supply depend upon how large the rounds are. For example an armored car with a 20 mm gun would rearm much faster than a PZIV with a 75 mm gun. Hope that helps! (Also ammo trucks take longer to rearm units than do ammo dumps.) Eric Maietta

(in reply to rlc27)
Post #: 2
- 1/9/2002 3:39:00 AM   
Gen.Hoepner

I encountered the same problem!I managed a marginal victory,but wasn't able to resupply my tanks enough.I won this battle just because the Wermarcht's men are much more experienced than the Rats.The brits' morale break down very quckly.In all the 6 battles i played till now in the desert i was always on the edge of losing them,but i always look for the british HQ and kick it out as soon as i can!Anyway i really appreciated the battle mentioned 'cause the lack of rounds really made my fell the problem of supplies suffered by DAK in those days!!!GREAT JOB MATRIX!!!!!

[image]http://yfrog.com/2m70331348022314716641664j [/image]

(in reply to rlc27)
Post #: 3
- 1/9/2002 4:22:00 AM   
rlc27

Absent Minded Professor: Thanks for the info on the ammo trucks--I didn't realize that they can only supply one at a time. Usually, in reg. campagins I only use them to keep my arty well supplied. Is there some kind of rule that the vehicle they supply cannot fire that round or something? General Hoepner: How many victory points does the enemy HQ net you? Does it cause other units to be more suppressed or have a harder time getting rid of suppression if it is wiped out? I usually look for it but haven't made it such a high priority as of yet... Thanks for the replies!

--John Sedgwick, failing to reduce suppression during the Battle of the Wilderness, U.S. Civil War.

(in reply to rlc27)
Post #: 4
- 1/9/2002 4:33:00 AM   
Paul Vebber

Actually they can supply as many units as are adjacent (or in the same hex). Unless something got changed I don't know about! THe weapon size makes a difference in how fast they reload. Ammo trucks tend to be slow. Ammo dumps faster. Weapon size is taken directly from the OOB, which OOBs are you using? [ January 08, 2002: Message edited by: Paul Vebber ]

(in reply to rlc27)
Post #: 5
- 1/9/2002 5:20:00 AM   
Gen.Hoepner

To say the truth i do not remember how many points.I've already passed that fight and i didn't write down anything.In my opinion the morale breaks down very fast when u kill their HQ,but i do not have any assurance about that!

[image]http://yfrog.com/2m70331348022314716641664j [/image]

(in reply to rlc27)
Post #: 6
- 1/9/2002 11:28:00 AM   
AbsntMndedProf

I guess I'm wrong about that. Sorry! Eric Maietta

(in reply to rlc27)
Post #: 7
- 1/9/2002 12:19:00 PM   
rlc27

Paul, This sounds especially stupid since I've been reading posts on this board for like a year now, but what exactly is an Oob? I'm using v.7 if that's any help. How many rounds will a tank pick up each round from an ammo truck? Do I need to do anything special to the truck or does it happen automatically?

(in reply to rlc27)
Post #: 8
- 1/9/2002 1:05:00 PM   
Khan7

"oob" refers to the file extension of the weapons, units, (and formations?) information files for SPWAW. I.e., somewhere, there are a bunch of files named "somefile.oob", and either with the original download, or on some other site, you should have or be able to get an oob editor(s), to mess with the things. You can tell this is coming from a non-oobguru. Matt

Khan7

(in reply to rlc27)
Post #: 9
- 1/9/2002 2:47:00 PM   
K G von Martinez

There is another feature which can influence your ammunition supply: IIRC the reloading starts with HE and only if you have got all the HE your unit is supposed to have the reloading changes to AP!

(in reply to rlc27)
Post #: 10
- 1/9/2002 3:03:00 PM   
skukko

Ammosupply works correctly Paul Park your machine to adjacent (hex or same) as ammo -canister/truck/dump is. DON't move either of them in couple of turns. Crews just ain't stupid enough to throw 50mm maingun salvos if your tank is moving around all the time... mosh

salute

mosh

If its not rotten, shoot again

(in reply to rlc27)
Post #: 11
- 1/9/2002 8:00:00 PM   
Larry Holt

quote:

Originally posted by kendokabob:
Paul, This sounds especially stupid since I've been reading posts on this board for like a year now, but what exactly is an Oob? I'm using v.7 if that's any help.

OOB = Order of Battle ; actually OOB is a listing of the units a nation or side has in its force structure. In the game what we call OOB is really TO&E (Tables of Organization and Equipment) or Scales of Equipment for those of UK persuasion. TO&E lists the weapons and internal organizaion of units. Since you can buy any force combination that you want (at least with rarity off), there is no fixed OOB.

Never take counsel of your fears.

(in reply to rlc27)
Post #: 12
- 1/10/2002 12:47:00 AM   
Grumble

quote:

To say the truth i do not remember how many points.I've already passed that fight and i didn't write down anything.In my opinion the morale breaks down very fast when u kill their HQ,but i do not have any assurance about that!

It does net you some victory points (exactly how many I'm not sure) but in game terms the loss of the HQ unit adds extra suppression to every unit each turn. This is in addition to whatever suppression you've inflicted on the bad guys. The net effect can be noticeable with below-to-average morale units; less so with more experienced forces.

"...these go up to eleven."
Nigel Tufnel

(in reply to rlc27)
Post #: 13
- 1/10/2002 6:44:00 AM   
bobaloo000

I don't remember the actual score but I know I got a decisive victory on this one. In fact there were not many Brit's left at the end. The reloading brought a nice touch of reality to the game. Made for some real angst at times.

Mister I'm not a boy no I'm a man/and I believe in the promised land...

(in reply to rlc27)
Post #: 14
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> A Draw? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI