Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Mega Campaign Ideas

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Mega Campaign Ideas Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Mega Campaign Ideas - 2/6/2002 12:12:00 AM   
TheZel66

First off, I want to say thanks again to all who have worked so hard on building the Mega Campaigns. Each one has been a blast to play, and well worth the money to purchase... Anyway, Two things i'd like to see in the future: 1) Change the campaign editor, so you can create campaigns more like the mega campaigns, where the designer can specify the exact core force and initial placement within each scenerio.. 2) Allow the ability for a person who has a copy of the mega campaign, to play a node as a single scenerio. There have been alot of great scenerios in the MC's, and I'd like to replay a few without having to go through the entire campaign again.. NOT that i dont plan on doing that as well whats the feasibility to do any of these?

Post #: 1
- 2/6/2002 4:42:00 AM   
TheZel66

bump?

(in reply to TheZel66)
Post #: 2
- 2/7/2002 8:31:00 PM   
TheZel66

anyone?

(in reply to TheZel66)
Post #: 3
- 2/7/2002 8:35:00 PM   
ubertechie

Zel - i'd love to have access to the MC tools - but as they are matrix's only way of recouping costs for SPWAW - i cant see them realising them FOC - i would love to be wrong but i doubt it. also with CL coming out ( i wont say soon as i dont know when it will be ready myself) we may see better tools in that whihc may help Cheers Ubertechie

(in reply to TheZel66)
Post #: 4
- 2/7/2002 10:51:00 PM   
TheZel66

true, but 1) i didn't think that Matrix was going to make anymore Mega Campaigns; and 2) I really dont need all the bells and whistles of the mega campaign, just the ability to tie numerous scenerios together based on the outcome of what a person did in a previous scenerio... maybe you could build a website, that a user would download the first scenerio, play it and report back what their score was (DV, MV, D, MD, etc.) . Then, depending on what their result was, they could download the next appropriate scenerio... (????) thoughts???

(in reply to TheZel66)
Post #: 5
- 2/7/2002 11:09:00 PM   
A_B

quote:

Originally posted by TheZel:
I really dont need all the bells and whistles of the mega campaign, just the ability to tie numerous scenerios together based on the outcome of what a person did in a previous scenerio... thoughts???
Zel, I think you should try in 'interactive' campaign. As far as i'm concerned, this is the most exciting and realistic way to play. You need a reliable partner though, which is actually pretty easy to find if you post on the board. Many SP players like to set up battles as much as play them. What you do, is play a battle, email the results to your partner, and have them set up the next battle for you. You can use premade or generated maps, change theaters, whatever. You can make it simple or advanced as you want or are able. Simplest form is to just have someone generate a map, move the objectives behind hills or into towns, buy and deploy enemy forces. Or you can get more creative. Modify maps, add reinforcemnts, create a story line. I'm playing an alternative history campaign right now, which puts the US fighting in N. Africa and Iraq in '43 and '44. In some battles, by front lines are based on where i got to the previous battle. Below are instructions i emailed to someone; As to your next battle, here is what you do. Hopefully, you saved it on the last turn (exit screen). Use the WAWEd.exe (world at war editor), open the save game file, and save it as a scenario. Now open the file within the games editor. You should be looking at the last turn – all your troops out, etc. Go to the Buy menu for the US. Delete all your core forces from the selection – you’ll get these back when you start the game. You are left with your Australian Auxiliary units. Go ahead and deploy these, as you see fit, and with the orders I give (as your commander). Once you’ve done that, doctor up the map by eliminating most of the dusty hexes. Don’t worry about the ones over the roads or buildings. Assume the building are still on fire, and the roads continue to take admin traffic and remain dusty. It shouldn’t take more than five minutes. Then you send the map back to me. I reset your start lines, add any auxiliary, add the enemy forces, and send it back to you. This may seem complicated, but the whole thing shouldn’t take more than 30 min. The nice thing is that you start with the same attachments you had at the end of the last battle, including any losses to tanks (wrecks) and infantry. All of the enemy wrecks are on the battle as well - kind of bloodthirsty, but fun!

Unconventional war requires unconventional thought

(in reply to TheZel66)
Post #: 6
- 2/8/2002 12:55:00 AM   
TheZel66

thanks, thats a good idea too.. maybe a combination of the two ideas could be possible. i think i'm going to start working on a web-enabled campaign.. cheers,

(in reply to TheZel66)
Post #: 7
- 2/8/2002 6:15:00 AM   
Wild Bill

I probably should not be doing this, but what can they do...fire me? All the scenarios are right there in the Mega Cam folder as just that...scenarios. In MC-W and the others they are listed as such. Example. Scen001.dat, scen002.dat Just copy them out and into the Scen directory. Then you can look at them, pick anyone you want. The core forces are already there in each one. Now of course they won't have the gained experience for them as you would have if they had been fighting earlier battles but they are playable. As for the core force already chosen for the regular campaign, I have not figured out yet just how you might do that. Any forces put on the map that are not purchased are always aux units and only appear for that battle. But who knows? I might yet do it. Wild Bill

In Arduis Fidelis
Wild Bill Wilder
Independent Game Consultant

(in reply to TheZel66)
Post #: 8
- 2/8/2002 6:46:00 AM   
Charles2222

Wild Bill: OTOH, isn't there a campaign editor in SPWAW? From the looks of things, one could probably delete or in some way change all the rules for the battles he wants. So if the campaign is 15 battles only, you could link up 1st, 5th, 10th, and 15th by deleting all the others (of course making a copy of the campaign and renaming it beforehand). I know this might not be possible in a MC, but I don't see why it wouldn't work in the basic campaigns, as indeed all sorts of things like replacement points can be changed.

(in reply to TheZel66)
Post #: 9
- 2/8/2002 9:03:00 PM   
TheZel66

Thanks WB, like i said ive played the entire MCNA and have gotten part of the way through MCW and MCLV... There are so many great scenerios in there, reason alone why someone should buy them. It would be nice to try them on there own.. Speaking of great scenerios, I just finished that one on MCW where you have to defend Henderson field against a Jap counter attack, with nothing more than MP's and SeeBees as your aux help.. OH MY GOD!!! I thought the Japs would never stop coming!!! managed a decesive victory, but i got hairy all the way up to turn 19.. Great Job...

(in reply to TheZel66)
Post #: 10
- 2/8/2002 9:10:00 PM   
TheZel66

As for the user created Mini-MegaCampaigns, you could create a hook into SPWAW that would pipe scores to a website.. Does anyone know if you can get those scenerio scores out of SPWAW programmatically? IF you could do that, then you could create web-based campaigns.. People play SPWAW, but you would manage the campaign via a website. PAY-AS-You-PLAY could be enforced if managed through Matrix. People would only have to download scnerios as they need them, creating a smaller footprint per download. Matrix wouldn't have to deal with all the issues of getting the whole MC up and running for distribution on to CD's... The benefits here are many.. Sorry if I'm thinking out loud. But this has the possibilities of extending this game out quite a bit...

(in reply to TheZel66)
Post #: 11
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Mega Campaign Ideas Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI