Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Corrupted sounds

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Corrupted sounds Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Corrupted sounds - 1/21/2002 5:30:00 PM   
Skyfire7631

Hi, Sorry if this has already been answered, but since the search feture seems to be disabled ... I'm back to SPWAW after a long stop, last version I tried was 6.1. So, last week-end, I reinstalled everything, up to v. 7.0. And I'm having problems with sounds (BTW, I'm using the 200 MB sound patch) : they become corrupted each time the AI is playing. When I get the input back (i.e. when AI has finished), they stay corrupted, until I click on "Preferences", and then they're back to normal again. Last time I tried (with 6.1) I had no such problem. AFAIK, the only things which have changed are the SPWAW version, and a new sound card (SB 16 PCI before, Hercules Fortissimo II now). I have no problems with other games. So, does anybody have a clue about what may be causing this ? My specs, just in case : MOBO MSI 6309, PIII 667, GeForce2 GTS 32 MB DDR, 256 MB SDRAM PC133, Hercules GameSurround Fortissimo II, Maxtor 20 GB HD 7200 RPM, Win98. Thanks in advance. (Excuse my poor english, I'm french ) Regards.

Post #: 1
- 1/21/2002 5:38:00 PM   
Lars Remmen

Hi, I do not recall hearing about such problems. But I will install the sound patch myself and give it a go. Regards, Lars BTW: There is no reason for you to excuse your english - it is very good!

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" - Benjamin Franklin

(in reply to Skyfire7631)
Post #: 2
- 1/21/2002 5:47:00 PM   
Skyfire7631

Thanks. Yeah, I thought the sound patch could be the problem, but I have no clue about it. FYI, what I did is : install all the patches up to 6.1, then install the sound patch (so, at that time, I had the same config. that when I was last playing with SPWAW), and then apply the V7.0 patch. Regards.

Post #: 3
- 1/21/2002 6:27:00 PM   
Warrior

You don't need the sound patch (or the v5.2 to v5.3 patch) when you upgrade to v7, the sounds are incorporated in the other upgrade patches.

Retreat is NOT an option.

Post #: 4
- 1/21/2002 7:48:00 PM   
Skyfire7631

Warrior, I'm not sure about what you're saying here. How can the 200 MB stereo sound patch can be integrated in two or three 1.4 MB patches ? Anyway, IIRC, what I did is :
- Install full 5.01 version
- Install 5.01->5.2 patch
- Install 5.2->5.3 patch
- Install 5.3->6.0 patch
- Install 6.0->6.1 patch
- Install stereo sound patch
- Install 6.1->7.0 patch But if I look at SPWAW downloads now, it seems the correct way should be : - Install ful 5.01 version
- Install 5.2->6.1 patch
- Install 6.1->7.0 patch And apparently, the 6.0 patch has disappeared, or I'm mistaken about what I really did. Could this be where my problem is ? And when, during this process, should I install the sound patch (should I install it BTW) ? Regards.

Post #: 5
- 1/22/2002 12:31:00 AM   
Supervisor

Make sure you didn't get any nested sound directories after applying the patch, I've seen some instances where this contributed to similar problems. All sounds should be within the MatrixGames/SPWAW/SND directory. BTW there is no need for the 6.0 patch, it was only a mech.exe file tweak that was incorperated and included as part of the bigger 6.1 patch. The same holds true for 5.3 no need to install it, just install the 5.2-6.1 patch it covers all the tweaks and fixes. [ January 21, 2002: Message edited by: gmenfan ]

Post #: 6
- 1/22/2002 2:08:00 AM   
Bing

While we're on the subject of SPW@W sound: The sounds work fine once the shooting starts, other than an extremely irritating component during howitzer and mortar fire that is something like a sharp release of air - like trying to whistle and only the air comes out of the mouth, not the tone (sorry, that's as close in words as I can get). The problem is with the battlfield, or background sounds (I have music turned off, BTW). Either it doesn't turn on when I reload a saved game, until I click on water or something similar. More often, I get a pumping action - the sound guys will know what this means, I think - that is REALLY irritating. Here again, once the shooting starts we're OK. I have a P3 1.0 GHZ rig, 512 Meg RAM, GeForce3 DDR 64 Meg, Turtle Beach Santa Cruz soundcard and Monsoon MM-1000 speaker system. I've tried both "Game Compatible Device" and selecting pure "Santa Cruz" via Multimedia and the pumping is always there. Aside from that: Crickets for Christmas? I fired up a winter scenario - white all over the place - and got the summertime evening cricket .wav file playing. A little in joke, maybe? Bing

"For Those That Fought For It, Freedom Has a Taste And A Meaning The Protected Will Never Know. " -
From the 101st Airborne Division Association Website

Post #: 7
- 1/22/2002 6:37:00 PM   
Skyfire7631

gmenfan : OK, thanks. I'll check the sounds folder, and maybe try a reinstall. bing : what you describe sounds ( ) like what I hear. The sounds become corrupted when mortars start to fire, essentially. Regards.

Post #: 8
- 1/31/2002 5:14:00 PM   
Skyfire7631

OK, a little late (because I have now a new PC) but I did a reinstall : - Install full 5.01 version
- Reboot
- Reboot
- Install 5.2->6.1 patch
- Reboot
- Install 6.1->7.0 patch
- Reboot And I did not install the stereo sound patch. My new specs : MSI K7T 266 Pro2, Athlon XP 1800+, 256 MB DDR PC2100, Leadtek GeForce2 Ti 64 MB, Hercules GameSurround Fortissimo II, Maxtor 20 GB HD 7200 RPM UDMA 133, Win98, 21.83 det. drivers. And the problem is still there : not as bad as it was before, but still there. So, any idea would be welcome. Regards.

Post #: 9
- 1/31/2002 9:55:00 PM   
Bing

OK, we go to the next level. BTW, when I turned the "Terrain ..." soumnd option OFF in preferences, the pumping stopped completely. Possible overall fix: Control Panel/Multimedia/ audio: Preferred Devices Only, then if it is available to you in the spinner list, choose "Game Compatible Device", with DirectX 8.1 the sound in W@W v7.1 won't play properly, not matter what else I do. You DO have DirectX 8.1 don't you? If you do and you have the applet for managing DX settings, make sure the "Debug" slider is all the way to the left, viz "Off". This can make a difference, too. Of all the fixes, the "Game Compatible Device" in this and other games has made the biggest difference for me - I;m running a Turtle Beach Santa Cruz, a fine card that produces beautiful sound. Keep working at it, the sound will improve. Bing

"For Those That Fought For It, Freedom Has a Taste And A Meaning The Protected Will Never Know. " -
From the 101st Airborne Division Association Website

Post #: 10
- 1/31/2002 11:01:00 PM   
Skyfire7631

Some answers : I have DX 8.0a. I'll try and see what I can do with these settings you're talking about. I already know that my debug slider is all the way left. Some other thing I could try, IMHO : disable the hardware sound acceleration. It seems it can help in some other games, so I'll try with SPWAW. Thanks, and I'll keep you informed. Regards.

Post #: 11
- 2/1/2002 4:18:00 PM   
Skyfire7631

Good news : I solved my problem. The solution lies with the hardware acceleration slider (found in control panel / multimedia / advanced button ...). IIRC this slider has 4 positions : full acceleration, some accel., little accel. and no accel. I first tried with no acceleration : problem solved, but sounds are now late regarding what you're actually doing. I then tried with some acceleration : problem is back. I finally tried with little acceleration (i.e. one step just above no acceleration at all) : problem solved, and sounds sync. with what you do. As a bonus, this does not seem to cause problems in other games. Hope this helps, and thanks for your help. Regards. [EDIT]
I have yet to try with the stereo sound patch, but I see no reason why this would not work.
[/EDIT] [ February 01, 2002: Message edited by: Skyfire76 ]

Post #: 12
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Corrupted sounds Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI